Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My very first gameplay was solitaire. I deliberately chose to shorten the game by only seeking to build 5 churches within 25 EVENT cards. Didn't feel this took away anything. However, I came across this zinger EVENT card towards the very end of the game!

"GENTILE BUSINESSMEN SPREAD FALSE RUMORS!"
Gain no automatic Cell Groups and lose one Cell Group.

Just prior to pulling this Event card, I had already built 4 churches, each with their own Deacon protecting it. I was now on my fifth and last city and was ready to place SIX cell groups on it (2 automatic + 3 from my CITY card + 1 from an OPPORTUNITY card). After that it was just a short hop to Rome (four hexes) for victory.

Then I drew this horrific card after I announced I was about to build my last church! Wow! Not only did I lose the opportunity to place 2 automatic cell groups, but this was the ONLY card in the entire EVENT deck that is capable of downgrading a church to cell groups despite having a Deacon protecting it. All the other EVENT cards have explicit measures to counter this disaster. Not this one!

I ended up failing to build my last church, losing church #4 AND of course the game itself when my EVENT deck quickly ran out.

Final Score:
Apostle Alex - "0"
The Heathens - "1"

I love this game!

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdsholm Ferret
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:

"GENTILE BUSINESSMEN SPREAD FALSE RUMORS!"
Gain no automatic Cell Groups and lose one Cell Group.
Not only did I lose the opportunity to place 2 automatic cell groups, but this was the ONLY card in the entire EVENT deck that is capable of downgrading a church to cell groups despite having a Deacon protecting it. All the other EVENT cards have explicit measures to counter this disaster. Not this one!

Wouldn't that mean losing a Cell Group in the city you which you were attempting to Build?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
msg tools
chiefsachem wrote:

Then I drew this horrific card after I announced I was about to build my last church! Wow! Not only did I lose the opportunity to place 2 automatic cell groups, but this was the ONLY card in the entire EVENT deck that is capable of downgrading a church to cell groups despite having a Deacon protecting it. All the other EVENT cards have explicit measures to counter this disaster. Not this one!

Actually there is another one that has a similar effect, the Pagan Uprising. They hit my girl friend's final church in our last game throwing in in my favour.

Given that she received a nice set of cities, me a lousy set and my church in Gaza got hit by an event whilst I was in Cyrene I was lucky to win. In fact, I had virtually written the game off, but the pagans came to my rescue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.