BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: POLL: Games with either everyone losing or someone winning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Poll
Consider games where everyone loses if you fail the objective, but there is still a clear winner if you succeed. Assume that you do not win. In your perspective...
It is better that everyone loses than someone else wins.
It is better that someone else wins than everyone loses.
"Someone else wins" and "Everyone loses" are equal outcomes.
      60 answers
Poll created by Punainen Nörtti

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So an example would be in a basketball game would I rather be on the team that won and I wasn't awarded the MVP or on a team that loses?

I am the 7th voter but I found 6 guys who I don't want on my team.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
So an example would be in a basketball game would I rather be on the team that won and I wasn't awarded the MVP or on a team that loses?

Basketball is not a good example, since if your team loses, the other team wins. So it is not a case of everyone losing.

The votes so far seem to support my hypothesis that "Everyone loses" -situation is not thought of as a loss but as a draw. (If it was treated as a loss, then the "equal" should get most votes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punainen Nörtti wrote:
TedW wrote:

Basketball is not a good example, since if your team loses, the other team wins. So it is not a case of everyone losing.

The votes so far seem to support my hypothesis that "Everyone loses" -situation is not thought of as a loss but as a draw. (If it was treated as a loss, then the "equal" should get most votes.)

It is a fine example. In your scenario, the "other team" is the game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said in the other thread: If I play as part of a team that has to work together on the same goal, then of course I will feel as if we all won, when we meet that goal.
I don't really care what the game says who won. If we all chipped in to beat the game we all won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Classic examples of "everyone loses" tend to be games like Republic
of Rome, wherein the story actually provides a pretty good clue. Parsing
that clue takes thought though. For example, in RoR, if someone wins,
AND you opposed them, chances are your family would be destroyed. If
Rome fell, perhaps not. On the other hand, if you weren't an enemy of the
winning powers, you could live on in relative (if sycophantic) ease
compared to any likely loss.

But, it all depends on the game. The 'everyone loses' circumstances
in After the Holocaust imply that no country is able to achieve a
level of existence much above subsistence. If only one player rises
above that, they will probably dominate. On the other hand, if many
do, but one 'wins' by being best, the 'winners' probably are in
some sort of balance of power, although one is first among equals.

From the point of view of the populations, anyone winning is better
than everyone losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other: None of the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth M.
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's better to delay the end of the game so I can win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end, if 1 player wins then at least one of my friends is happy - which is slightly better than all of my friends and I being miserable.

I realize the saying is "Misery loves company" - but everyone else is miserable except 1 friend - so I'm good with that.

I'd rather 1 person be happy than none be happy - even if the one isn't me, as I play games with people I like.

Now, if I was playing the game at a convention with a bunch of $#@*&%!!!, then my answer is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
The most recent game I know of with this conundrum is, of course, Marvel Legendary. When we play it, we treat the "somebody won but it wasn't me" result as "we all won, but one guy won just a little bit more". We do that for thematic reasons. The superheroes all have an interest in seeing the threat defeated. If they can be the primary contributor, all the better, but another hero doing the heavy lifting is a far better result than all the heroes failing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
California
flag msg tools
Consider the movie the "The Hunger Games" where contestants have to survive and fight one another until one is left standing, and that one person would be declared the winner. But if all the contestants die, then it would seem pointless that everyone has to die; I would prefer at least one winner instead of everyone losing, because at least one life was spared. Of course I would prefer to be the winner, but if not me, at least someone else rather than everyone losing and therefore dying.

But in most game situations, I would prefer everyone to lose (equivalent to a tie result for everyone as was mentioned by the OT poster), then anyone else winning. But in "The Hunger Game" example, I would prefer at least one person to win, preferably me, but if not me, at least someone else. I would not want everyone to lose, and therefore everyone dies. In the Hunger Games, the winner's home district gets a reward. At least one district can get the reward.

A similar situation is with gladiator combat where gladiators fight one another to the death. If all gladiators die at the end, it seems pointless. At least one gladiator should win, so that at least one life was spared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.