Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2507994#it...

Conclusion:

This review is going to be short and sweet. This is a lesser version of King of Tokyo. I am not sure why that games works and this one does not. This game has zero decisions to make. In addition, the game company did not include enough components to play the game. This is a huge problem for me.

I get the whole idea of a quick, filler to start a night off. Shouldn't it have at least a single decision though? Otherwise, why not just flip a coin?

Components:

You get 2 decks of cards: 1 with adventurers and 1 with action cards (and bystanders). The cards are of decent stock with good artwork. A lot of the action cards lack any art work at all.

You get 6 custom dice and 1 D 20. The dice are fine.

What is missing are components to track HP and VP. HUH? Yep. There are not enough components in the box to play the game. Some may find this acceptable (no idea why), but I do not.

This is a lacking game.

Rule Book:

You get a small rule book that explains the game very well. There are some holes in the book, but with such a light game nothing you can't put together. The book does a fine job explaining the game with no decisions to make.

Flow of the Game:

On your turn, you roll the 6 brawl dice. Depending on the results, you one of the other players. If you do 3 or more damage (or knock them out), they get to roll the red dice to defend.

You keep doing this until someone gets 20 VP and successfully attacks someone on their turn.

That's the entire game...in the box....there is nothing else. You just roll the dice and watch the results. That's it.

Should I buy this game?:

I can't imagine who would like this game. Sure you could start a game night off with this game, but why? There are better games: King of Tokyo for one.

I couldn't find a decision to make this in this game. I'm all for a light game and one without much thought, although some thought would be nice. If you like this game, I don't mean to be offensive. Different people like different games; I've just seen it done better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the opposite of you. I find King of Tokyo a waste of money and components compared to Inn Fighting, and my family prefers Inn Fighting over KoT. KoT feels like a waste with all of the cards, and little decision other than the 3 rolls, do I stay in Tokyo or Leave options.

I find that there aren't THAT many differences, except the cards in Inn Fighting actually do matter more in the game, random or not (like King of Tokyo isn't? And the cards in KoT really make the game anything more than "roll dice 3 times"?).

To each their own, but Inn Fighting does exactly what it sets out to do, for a great price and without all the dumb fluff that seems to hypnotize everyone with KoT, imo.

The only problem I have with Inn Fighting, is some games can run a bit long for what the game is. Then again, everyone I've played King of Tokyo with thought it looked like it would provide more than it did. Only one person out of 6 I've played KoT with liked it enough to want to play it again (but has never actually requested it nor bought his own copy). But a few have LOVED Inn Fighting.

If I'm wanting a quick card/dice fighting game before D&D or some fantasy adventure, Inn Fighting is going to fit the bill much better than King of Tokyo.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with the review.

I would also add that there are different outcomes possible from dice rolls, you may get a chance to steal/heal VPs from the leader, draw an action card, and choose who you want to attack depending on what you roll. Bystanders can boost attacks and defend for you, while you attack immediate left, right, or VP leader. There are light choices, and dare I say maybe even slightly more than King of Tokyo to a certain extent though there is no "push your luck" in Inn Fighting.

The group can greatly affect the game as well. We all love the punch, chairs over the head, and special actions not to mention chugging ales to steal health from the leaders VP pile (which may mean stealing from yourself, just to keep amother player from taking VPs from you to heal).

I will give you the VP/Health counter issue, although for the price I can't complain, and what Board Game Geek doesn't have a bag or two of glass beads lying around to use? Never was a problem/issue for anyone I've played it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Trostle
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And, I'm the opposite of you — I agree with the reviewer. This game has good intentions but fails to do what it sets out to do.

It's biggest drawback is the victory point pile: it is too easy to steal and replenish points, which can lead to a never-ending game that draws things out until everyone is bored. Not to mention, this design aspects leads to constantly counting and recounting VP bead totals —- sorry, math is the last thing I think of when it comes to bar room brawls, and the last thing I want to do in what is supposed to be a chaotic slap-happy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agree with OP - KoTokyo is a mucccch better game.

this game is boring, with fewer decisions, protracted gameplay due to stealing of vps back and forth, and doesn't include the tokens you need to track the vps in the first place

a big pffffffttttttt to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the replier, and disagree with the reviewer.

In fact, the review is demonstrably incorrect in its repeated assertion that there are no decisions to Inn-Fighting.
Every single turn, there are going to be decisions - some are more obvious than others, but the chances of only rolling 6 faces the same every turn is remote in the extreme - you'll likely always have a choice of attacking to the left, or the right, or using a Power attack, then deciding to go after the Adventurer OR the Bystander (if any).

If the reviewer "couldn't find a decision to make this in this game.", then that's solely their creation.

And regarding the comparison to KoF: Once you wade through the murky ruleset of Inn-Fighting, it has an undeniably (IMO) better balance/flow than KoF.
KoF out of the box is fairly horrible, with not enough Energy, not enough cards (which is really one of then only tactical aspects of the game) that see play in a typical game, and it frequently comes down to whoever rolls lots of 3's wins.
Any number of House Rules / Variants in the BGG entry for KoF shows these problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.