Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
Hello!

I would like to purchase the Normandy expansion, but some people say that the maps are much darker than in the original one. Is it really that bad?

Because this is the only thing holding me back right now.

Thanks!

Only if you have the first printing of the base game. If you have a second printing of the base game, then the maps are the same.

Even if you have a first printing, the color shade difference is not a game changer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the second printing of both the base game AND Normandy, and the map tiles look perfect side by side — no complaints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have first printing and there is a slight difference, but nothing worth noting IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a first printing of the base game, and I got to say I think hte Normandy maps look much better. They are darker, but it's not in a negative way at all.

If the map pack wasn't so much I'd likely by it to replace my base game set (the map pack is just the original 12 boards but with Normandy style art). However I heard in the map pack that one of the boards has an error on it? I heard there's a hex that is clear that in the original map section is a forest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the art on the normandy boards (which is the same as the map pack expansion or 2nd edition of the game) are much better to look at than the original art, so don't let it hold you back. Have a look on the picture in the image section of the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm considering this game as well. I'm not in a hurry because I am still playing through some other games so I've held off.

I'm still not clear how can I tell the second printing. I've seen some boxes that are marked copyright 2007,2011 so that looks like they should be second printings. The rivers in the art on the back of the box doesn't match the Normandy expansion though. Does anyone know if this 2007,2011 copyright notice is enough to know that it is a second printing?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure about Tide of Iron, but for Twilight Imperium, the color of the FFG logo (orange versus silver) is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. I didn't notice the color of the logo but I will check next time.

So I have held off for now. I guess the longer I wait the more likely it is to be the second printing.

Even though I prefer the WWII theme I bought Battles of Westeros. I read that it was simpler than TOI and my SO is still getting a handle on the rules of Memoir 44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.