19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need help with my game buying addiction! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Our game collection has grown insanely in the month that I've been here. I think once we have one for each type of category/mechanic, I can start buying food again. LOL!

Seriously, though. Based on my Top 10 and Hot 10, can I reasonably convince myself I'm done for the year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:
Our game collection has grown insanely in the month that I've been here. I think once we have one for each type of category/mechanic, I can start buying food again. LOL!

Seriously, though. Based on my Top 10 and Hot 10, can I reasonably convince myself I'm done for the year?

laughlaughlaughlaughdevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, all I can tell you is this: You're not alone with that addiction. I'm so running out of space!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:

mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister came to visit from North Carolina and was looking at all my games. I've consolidated them to shelves in the garage. I told her that I love playing them but realistically would have a hard time playing them all and that I should probably get rid of a bunch of them. She said "Well do you like having them?" I said "Yes, it makes me happy. Sometimes I just come out here and admire them for a few minutes." We laughed and she said "Well, you should try to play them but if it makes you happy and you can afford it, don't stop collecting them." She told me she used to collect tea pots and never once used them for tea. She just liked collecting them. She said part of fun of collecting stuff is just for the sake of collecting...because it makes you happy for some reason. At least with a game collection, you can get additional fun out of them other than just building a collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:
can I reasonably convince myself I'm done for the year?

Done for the year on February 10th???

You are clearly insane....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:

Trying not to sound like a game snob; but with Munchkin, Yahtzee, and Killer Bunnies on those lists you clearly have some game buying to do.

Ok, that clearly made me sound like a game snob. So be it! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:
... I can start buying food again. LOL!

Perhaps if the SPIEL 2013 in Essen is over. Or maybe this is more of a new beginning ... whistle

Amygdala ...

EDIT/:
Time enough with the silliness. Shopping addiction is a serious issue. I like to give a little more serious statement.

Looks to me more like lighter enthusiasm. Something that probably infects many people who have discovered the BGG. There are so many good games. Anyone who has interest in board games will find a huge wealth of knowledge. Ideas for games that you do not know or have ever heard of them. Great games. Especially at the beginning it is normal to be swept up in this maelstrom of ideas. Of course you want all these great games to try and play. The result is then a first meisst spending spree. Optimally, it is similar to a cold. After a few weeks you're healthy again. But richer by a few games. These games will now be played. Be played over and over again. You'll also find out which games you like and what not. Ranking or not. Not everything that is at # 1. please every player. Tastes are different. Swarm intelligence is good but to rely on it blind ... I would not.

If I bought one or more new games, I will then play as much as possible before I'm considering buying a new one. Only for collecting board games have not been invented.

Beware !!! of the: Have, and want to have more and more. Banal desire for materialism. devil

They were created to be played. To bring together people so that they have fun. Families and friends. Old and young. I've played most of my games hundreds of times. And so it shall remain. In my family we play a lot. We love sitting together and have fun. TV is unnecessary. Therefore, we also have a few games now. But none of it was bought by just to fill the shelves. And we are always happy when we have a new game that we can try.

I am glad that you have also packed a light board game fever. I hope that you and your family will have as much fun as we have with playing our beloved Boardgames.

Just keep on playing !! meeple

best regards hessi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
casualgod wrote:
Trying not to sound like a game snob; but with Munchkin, Yahtzee, and Killer Bunnies on those lists you clearly have some game buying to do.

This is not helpful without recommendations! *hides wallet*

Edit: Yahtzee is supposed to be the Pikachu version (our kiddos love it) but it redirects to the regular one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wheels
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is prone to going a bit crazy with collecting things (Star Wars merchandise, video games, Warhammer 40k, CDs, DVDs etc.) I've tried really hard to hold back with the board games (which I've recently gotten into).

I've bought a few games in a quick spurt over the last couple of months, but have resolved to keep it at that for now. I've got games covering a variety of themes and mechanics, which will give me plenty of happiness for a long time. Once I feel I've gotten my money's worth from my existing collection, I may look into getting some other games.

One thing that's helped me hold back with my spending is avoiding impulse buying. If I look at something in-store, or add it to an online shopping cart, I'll wait at least a day before buying it. Often, after I've thought about it for a while, I realise that I don't REALLY need that game right now. It won't kill me to wait a month or six before I pick it up, especially since I probably won't even get around to playing it before then.

That's helped me avoid buying more than a few games in recent weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:
casualgod wrote:

This is not helpful without recommendations! *hides wallet*

Edit: Yahtzee is supposed to be the Pikachu version (our kiddos love it) but it redirects to the regular one.

Sorry, my reply was meant to be more cheeky. Whatever games you enjoy should be in your collection. That's great that you have games you play with the family that they enjoy.

As far as recommendations, I have a few here and here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:

My goal for the year is to only buy the top two from my Hot 10. The only exceptions would be Tichu and The Princes of Florence to nearly fill out my collection(as much as one can be filled out) and due to them being cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Addiction is a real thing, and can destroy personal and family finances, and ultimately lives. If you truly are addicted, seek help. Admit it's a problem. Start working on it.

If you're using "addiction" in a lighter sense, well that's a different story. Just be aware that there are plenty of people on this site who are really are addicted.

In my opinion, you should get all your games played at least once before you buy the next one.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:
... (our kiddos love it) ...

After I completed my statement in my previous post a bit. And we are here in the recommendation channel. And I've also read children. I can not help me to propose the following.

I like to suggest you and your kiddos a copy of ...

Ghost Blitz a frenzied game of mental & physical dexterity based on Symbols.

An ingenious and brilliant little and affordable game. It tricks with your mind, and in an incredible way. Fun guaranteed even for adults. This game was tried out with numerous gamers and the overwhelming response was “that game is brilliant.” Your Kids will show you how to win this Game.

PDF of the english manual / The German version is also equipped with multi-lingual instructions if it should be difficult to buy this crazy little game outside of europe.

I also like to say that the translation of the title is a bit of a failure. A "Geistesblitz" is correctly translated "brainstorm" or "flash of genius". What makes much better sense of the game. Here, only the words "Geist"("Ghost" or "Mind") and "Blitz"(Flash) where translated half-hearted. I would have called it "mind flash". The "Geistesblitz" has a completely different meaning than "Ghost Blitz" ​​but the translation fits the design that was chosen especially for the german language. That happens sometimes in the simple literal translations without regard to the meaning of the word. ..blablabla... .. enough now. whistle This game is simply magnificent ... a game for kids of all ages

But please fill your refrigerator with food first before you buy this game.

best regards hessi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to keep my collection around 50 - maximum size allowing me to play every game at least once a year. To accomplish that I am just selling many games that I have played once or few times (or trading them on mathtrades to new, shrinkwrapped ones that I can give as presents).

There was a geeklist I've seen recently with many great tips on keeping yourcollection reasonable. I can't find it now, though.

Unfortunately one most important step to stop buying games is to block yourself access to BGG... Last week because of what I've read here I have ordered Terra Mystica, Bora Bora, Rialto and Quarantine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:

You have 14 games listed as "Owned" shake

Hardly accounts for an insanely grown collection. Get busy Dr. Barbie and call me when you break your first 3 digits in the game count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
LOL! There is NO WAY I would have bought that many Video Games in one month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Give yourself a modest gaming budget and stick to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once I got past the initial hump, I looked at the games I had bought and played and decided to stick with the tried and true euros, as those have rarely disappointed me. I should add I came into this hobby because of reading about Mage Knight and initially hated Victory Points and rather would go for thematic wins, like accruing the most cash/net worth by game end in an economic game, or beating the city in MK. Only once I learned to embrace playing for the sake of accruing VPs did my tastes change, yet my level of satisfaction with what this hobby offered grew.

Having said that, games with thematic immersion do help quite a bit which is one reason Through the Ages is my favorite game (it FEELS like a civ game yet is a rock solid euro)

Games like The Manhattan Project were bought when it was new and hyped and I'd only been playing a month, but held up with its fun thematic gameplay. Stone Age I found dull and too light, despite being tried and true.

Lately, I've done a few more impulse blind buys. Castles of Burgundy was one that I found rewarding and a good shot in the dark. Puerto Rico, while a good game, I also felt to be lacking.

YMMV, but you can't go wrong with the classics (assuming you like euros).

Agricola is, in my opinion, a safe buy. Most love this game, from the light to the hardcore. It also plays well from 2-5 players and the replayability is near endless. Buy it (and the Goodies expansion) play it over and over, then decide if you want a new game. In a just world, this is the game that would have been invented in 1930 and Monopoly would have gone up on kickstarter, been hyped to hell through smart marketing, and been the worst disaster in the history of boardgaming kickstarters. I'd probably be one of the burnt because I love a good economic game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.