Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Leave it to me to buy $90 worth of board games to fill out my order of an android netrunner expansion. It's a good excuse.

Cyber Exodus
Spartacus Blood and Sand
City of Horror
Suburbia

Our group loves Avalon and Cosmic Encounter and I heard Spartacus and city of horror might fit well. Should I just get both? I'm worried about what I've heard about Spartacus: backstabbing that sets you too far back, and game length.

We also enjoy 7 wonders, lords of waterdeep, catan, and I figure suburbia seems like a fun city building game with light-medium strategy. Any other strategy games to think about?

Other games I considered: Seasons, Eclipse, Twilight Struggle, Cash N Guns, Cosmic Incursion

Was worried about Seasons and Eclipse because of analysis paralysis. Twilight struggle seems very fun. I'm just rarely in two player situations, and Netrunner takes up that slot currently. And Cash N Guns: as much as I want the foam guns, I can't imagine spending that much for them. Was thinking about just playing the game with regular cards and finger pistols.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have someone who is AP prone I wouldn't play TS with them...that could make what is possibly a long game excruciating..

That said I do love Twilight Struggle..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
monawhat wrote:
Leave it to me to buy $90 worth of board games to fill out my order of an android netrunner expansion. It's a good excuse.

Dude, it's really not. You may have a problem.

That said, I'd recommend you try to fit in some sleeves for Netrunner, if you don't already have some set aside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like 7 wonders (card drafting) and want a city building game I would recommend Ginkgopolis. I played it the first time last weekend and again yesterday. It is a very nice game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TF Radcliff
msg tools
Quote:
Strangely (or perhaps not), even without seeing your "cart filling" comment, I was going to suggest you dump the entire cart and keep Cyber Exodus, because it's really the only thing worth playing on that list for any length of time.

Really? I've heard tremendous things about Suburbia and, to a lesser degree, City of Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
monawhat wrote:
Our group loves Avalon

For other hidden-identity games check out Saboteur (and Saboteur 2), Shadows over Camelot, Discworld:Ankh-Morpork (2-4 players, 60 minutes), and Battlestar Galactica (best with 5 players, 2-2.5 hours after some practice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall wrote:
No one will be talking about either in 3 months, much less 10 years. Netrunner is almost 17 years old.

Netrunner had so much of an initial impact it spent much of that 17 years OOP. The last expansion was released in 1999. So that makes it like four years actively being supported out of 17. Also, I don't know if it would have been given new life if not for the LCG format. I'm not saying it is a bad game. I just think using Netrunner being around for 17 years in the way you are is misleading. A game could have one print run and 20 years later I could say, "Yeah, but it has been around for 20 years so you know it's good."

I only have two definite "must buys" for this year. Suburbia is one of them so I will gladly be talking about it and playing it after three months. Since I try to Jones theory my collection and keep a smaller one(relatively speaking) at that, I might very well be still playing it 10 years from now. Its average rating has gone up since its US release and the "new to you" geeklists are showing that many others are enjoying it.

I would have to play City of Horror to know more, but an initial review of the game had me going "meh" although I have said that to pretty much any zombie game as I'm still waiting for the definitive one to be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well Netrunner is already a lock for me. Was just considering the other games and wondering if I was missing out on anything. I had a friend tell me that Spartacus and eclipse were very unique and fun gaming experiences, and my choice of Spartacus was namely due to value. I know I'd probably enjoy eclipse a lot, but I have a feeling it won't hit the table as much as I want. It'd be the priciest game in my collection. Probably will get it eventually.

I am looking forward to suburbia and city of horror though. Thanks for the comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons is a very nice option for 2-3 players. You can try it online at BoardGameArena. Your AP concerns surprised me, its a pretty quick game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.