Subject: New to boardgames. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan LeBlanc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Hi All, I have been playing video games for over 5 years. Over that time I have listen to a couple of podcast where some of the personalities are avid board gamers. I am looking for an introductory game for the family (Wife and Son(12))and that I can take over for a game night with other adults. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age, Catan, Dixit, Carcassonne, and Forbidden Island would all be good, easy to learn games representing a variety of different types of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
San Juan
Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask what your favorite video games are, or if you can tell us maybe what kind of movies or books you like? Sometimes that's really important when recommending games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Several good suggestions so far. I will just add that if you're looking for a game for a slightly larger group (6+ players) you might also look at:

Tsuro - Plays up to 8p in less than a half hour.

Unnamed Object - Exploration/treasure game, also plays up to 8p. Everyone gets to decide whether to go forward or go back to camp each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Ticket to Ride or Ticket to Ride: Europe (a bit more open of a game). Carcassonne is also a great start as it seems very simple (tile laying game) but has a fair amount of strategy.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is a hit with my kids and is relatively easy to pick up and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra

Ra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is really easy to learn and a great beginner game. I'd suggested TTR:europe if you were going to pick one of them up.

I'd agree with Incan Gold as well. It's simple, and a whole lot of fun. I might suggest getting it on top of something else though.

King of tokyo is also a lot of fun. It's not super complex, and it's a really good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just go all the way and get Arkham Horror.... That was the wife's "entry level game" (because she loves Lovecraft)... But if you aren't man enough for that, you can go with what the others suggested, and I would add Pandemic to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan LeBlanc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Mike, My favorite video games are normally FPS (Halo, COD, etc...). I play very few RPG types (Fallout 3 was my favorite RPG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan LeBlanc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
MJWaters84 wrote:
There is what is known in the gaming community as "The Big Three" which consist of Catan, Carcassonne, and Ticket to Ride.

All three of them are "beginner" games that offer light to medium strategy with easy rules and are accessible to any age group. Hope that helps.

Thanks Mike for the recommendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan LeBlanc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
indigopotter wrote:
Welcome to BGG!

Several good suggestions so far. I will just add that if you're looking for a game for a slightly larger group (6+ players) you might also look at:

Tsuro - Plays up to 8p in less than a half hour.

Unnamed Object - Exploration/treasure game, also plays up to 8p. Everyone gets to decide whether to go forward or go back to camp each turn.

Thanks for the welcome and recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
+1 Forbidden Island and Tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan LeBlanc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Ticket to Ride: Europe and Flash Point: Fire Rescue. Both are beautiful games that are easy to teach and learn. I always bring out Ticket to Ride when someone expresses an interest in gaming and has never played anything beyond the usual Hasbro/Parker Brothers games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally am not too crazy about Ticket To Ride. I've found it far too simplistic for my taste. I'm in the minority here, though.

Dominion has been the most widely liked game I have introduced to new gamers, followed by Catan. Settlers tends to run a bit longer, and can't really be played with two players. There have been many other good suggestions here as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek S
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As already recommended,

Tsuro
Ticket to Ride
Settlers of Catan

Any of these games would be a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TF Radcliff
msg tools
I've had success with introducing new gamers to the following:

Dominion
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride: Europe -> look, it may be fairly simple, but it's also FUN
Castle Panic -> if you have any kids involved
Pandemic -> if you are into co-op, although I personally think it is way overrated otherwise until you add in the expansion.

Never played it, but I feel King of Tokyo would probably work. Fun theme, looks fairly simply, but also has that extra piece of strategy a "real" game must have.

Would definitely be curious to hear what genre of video games you played before? Personally, I was a Skyrim/Far Cry/Assassins Creed kinda guy, so jumping into thematic adventure games (such as Cyclades and Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game) made perfect sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Noble
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a video gamer maybe have a look at...

Gears of War: The Board Game
Zombicide
Pandemic
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

I've not played Gears of War, but the other three are decent introductory games that have strong theme (which I find is important to video gamers transitioning to board games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Player count is pretty important, as is the nature of interaction you are looking for.

Being a non-conflicty person, my top picks would be Forbidden Island as a co-op, and Africana (which is much better than TtR imo) as a competitive game. But both top out at 4 players.

If you would rather bash each other, I would consider King of Tokyo (but can bog down with too many players).

A trivia game that you can win even if you get every answer wrong is something in the Wits & Wagers family. It's the only trivia game I have ever enjoyed.

If you want a mellow, artistic, barely-a-game psychological thing, then Dixit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
I agree with Settlers of Catan.
It was the game that entertained me for a very long time.
Easy to teach concepts of play, lots of player interaction, nearly unlimited replaybility. The base game is fine for the beginning, but you would want to look at some of the expansions later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Noble
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add. As well as using BGG for research you may want to check out the following resources on YouTube. I found them an invaluable starting point to get back in to board games after being a video gamer for many years. They are also responsible for helping to empty my wallet!

TableTop on Geek and Sundry is great for watching playthroughs, is very entertaining, and covers a lot of the games mentioned above

Watch it Played is fantastic - Rodney does an amazing job of explaining and walking through games (although Rodney is probably the unluckiest dice roller I have seen - with the exception of me!! )

The Dicetower is a good source of short (8 to 10min) reviews. They are currently doing some top 10 lists by genre which are well worth a watch, and will give you plenty of titles to search for on BGG.

Crits Happen is also one of my favourites, Tox does a great job there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan LeBlanc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Jdoki wrote:
I would also add. As well as using BGG for research you may want to check out the following resources on YouTube. I found them an invaluable starting point to get back in to board games after being a video gamer for many years. They are also responsible for helping to empty my wallet!

TableTop on Geek and Sundry is great for watching playthroughs, is very entertaining, and covers a lot of the games mentioned above

Watch it Played is fantastic - Rodney does an amazing job of explaining and walking through games (although Rodney is probably the unluckiest dice roller I have seen - with the exception of me!! )

The Dicetower is a good source of short (8 to 10min) reviews. They are currently doing some top 10 lists by genre which are well worth a watch, and will give you plenty of titles to search for on BGG.

Crits Happen is also one of my favourites, Tox does a great job there

Thanks Jay for the insight. I am currently listening to the The Dice Tower podcast which I am enjoying. I will be sure to check out those you tube videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan LeBlanc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
broken clock wrote:
Ticket to Ride: Europe and Flash Point: Fire Rescue. Both are beautiful games that are easy to teach and learn. I always bring out Ticket to Ride when someone expresses an interest in gaming and has never played anything beyond the usual Hasbro/Parker Brothers games.

Mike, that is where I am currently at where the only games I have are Hasbro/Parker Bros. Ticket to Ride seems to be a consensus among everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have missed it since I went through the comments quickly but the game you need is

Lords of Waterdeep

That one's going to be really attractive to your son and you and your wife will love it, too. Very simple to learn, but lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.