Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, the disclaimers:
1 I've only ever played this game solitaire; not likely to change soon.
2 My die rolls & activations nearly always favor the Black Hand (BH) by a noticeable margin.

Other info: I don't use smoke, mines, or sandbags for either side in this scenario.

Having said that; I can't figure out a way for NATO to win this scenario. The best I've managed for them is a draw and that was including the entire 1st Ranger formation (extra M60A1, M113, and Ranger platoon). I've played this scenario 6 times now and unless the activations go NATO's way, the BH Blighter & Meagrim generally blow the M113s to smithereens by the end of the Turn 2 or earlier through a combination of OpFire & normal activation attacks.

NATO's order of battle is weaker than the BH by 2 units, and they're attacking an enemy who's dug in with a commanding view of the approaching terrain. Furthermore, BH is likely to get favorable events that give them extra units or reduce NATO units (biological attack gulp). Standard doctrine would dictate the participation of far more attacking units for this mission than are included to have a chance of success.

Besides adding more units, which I've done a few times, my next attempts to balance this scenario might be to include air support or a barrage/smoke off board artillery for NATO to give them a better chance.

If the NATO M60A1 survives with the CO attached, it can wreck havoc on BH units, especially when it assaults. But by then most of its support tends to be severely reduced or eliminated and it can't hold the objectives.

I have not tried to disembark the Ranger platoons first thing and crawling them up without their M113 transports. Maybe that would make a difference? Those M113s are really just tin cans.

Anyone have success as NATO with this scenario? If so, what has your tactical approach been?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cowen
United States
Union Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it and the Rangers crushed the mutant freaks(i also don't play with mines or sandbags). But, the Rangers had very hot dice. I think the scenario comes down to the first turn tank duel between the M60 and the Blighter; if the M60 survives the opfire and pops the Blighter then the Rangers have a good shot. If the Blighter wins then its game over. Maybe if a second M60 platoon was added or take away the Meagrim, might balance it out a bit or like you said add an arty/air strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Warren
msg tools
I can't remember NATO winning this one any time I've played it. I hate the M113s; too easy to pop (probably realistic, but still). There was a close one where a Ranger platoon was nearly invincible.

It's been a while, though, so maybe I should play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Warren
msg tools
Now I remember why I can't stand the M113: they lack AP firepower. Thin skinned and can't even get a lucky shot on a AFV platoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
First of all, the disclaimers:
1 I've only ever played this game solitaire; not likely to change soon.
2 My die rolls & activations nearly always favor the Black Hand (BH) by a noticeable margin.

Other info: I don't use smoke, mines, or sandbags for either side in this scenario.

Same here.

The win/loss ratio is in favor for the Black Hand in my games, too.

The Blighter and his Op Fire can be really annoying. But I usually bring in the forces through hex A20, staying out of sight from the Blighter, if he is positioned on the Holterberg hill (hexes I9, J9, e.g.). Then I unload the Infantry behind the Steinhausen hill and move them forward, using the woods as cover, to Provenholz and use the town as starting point to launch attacks against Geseke.
The good thing about the Rangers is, that they have a speed value of 4, so they can advance pretty fast. I also like to choose a Ranger Platoon as Commanding Officer to give the Black Hand a more critical decision when it comes to Op Fire (M60A1 versus CO Rangers).
A more general thing to consider is, that the game uses a 2d6 based combat system. So, a 7 is more likely to occur. It's good to keep this in mind when calculating the odds for an attack. Sometimes it's better to withhold an attack in favor to improve the position to get better odds. Even an attack/defence bonus of +1 can make the difference.

Ryanmobile wrote:

I have not tried to disembark the Ranger platoons first thing and crawling them up without their M113 transports. Maybe that would make a difference? Those M113s are really just tin cans.

I think it's a good advice in general to disembark transported Infantry when in LOS of enemy units. Those APCs are very vulnerable. On the other hand, units forming fire groups or conducting assaults with them receive a +2 AV bonus, too, even if some lack AP firepower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts Christian. I'll try to incorporate them in my next plays and see what happens. Though I don't know that it matters. The dice seem to be controlled a malevolent force that reeks of The Zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts Christian. I'll try to incorporate them in my next plays and see what happens. Though I don't know that it matters. The dice seem to be controlled a malevolent force that reeks of The Zone.

Too true, too true.
That's the problem with theory and practice.

Another thing that frightens me is the mind reading ability of the Black Hand when playing solo. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Warren
msg tools
Just started playing this one again. Stupid Blighter OpFire takes out the M60A1 on the first turn. Not a good start. Try #2 coming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cowen
United States
Union Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eke_warren wrote:
Now I remember why I can't stand the M113: they lack AP firepower. Thin skinned and can't even get a lucky shot on a AFV platoon.

NATO should hurry up and invent the TOW missile...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Warren
msg tools
aeneas2467 wrote:
eke_warren wrote:

NATO should hurry up and invent the TOW missile...

No kidding!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Warren
msg tools
I just cannot win this scenario. Seriously, I can't. M60 makes it through Blighter fire unscathed. Rangers activate next and the M60 shoots on the move at the Blighter. Dice roll = 3. Really, a 3. The Rangers infantry and M113s move towards the woods and the Snipers reduce a BH infantry unit.

BH activates next and the Blighter misses the M60 again! What luck. The Megrim and Zealots move forward from Geske to Provenholz. Ranger OpFire is ineffective.

BH activates again. The Megrim fires at the M60. Dice roll = 12. The M60 platoon is now a smoking wreck.

My luck changed a little and an event was pulled (Rangers earned a Barrage!). On the Rangers next activation, the Megrim and Zealots were destroyed by the barrage. Unfortunately, the Blighter was now ready to run rampant. More carnage ensued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth playing a game depicting a fictional situation, I can often develop empathy for any of the factions; even the bad guys.

Not so in NW68. I despise the Black Hand. I wish nothing more than NATO & the Reich would get over their spat and wage merciless war on the vile vermin their war created.

I think the dice are controlled by the BH in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Warren
msg tools
Ryanmobile wrote:

I think the dice are controlled by the BH in this game.

Agreed. I'm a firm believer that the dice ARE controlled by the Black Hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fab nik
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
Salut, j'ai quelques années de retard. amusant.
Sinon, j'utilise les mines et sacs de sable. Je le joue en solo et parfois en tête à tête. Ce scénario est majoritairement gagnant BlackHand. Juste pour préciser suite à la lecture des posts que le salaud (Bligther)[artillerie mobile] ne fait pas de tir d’opportunité et que de plus sans unité de reconnaissance ne peut faire de tir parabolique [voir OBA]. Ces éléments peuvent faire pencher la balance, en effet la progression de NATO à découvert (open ground) n'aide pas. j'utilise l'unité Spetnatz et M60 (5 hexes) pour nettoyer les fanatiques (Zealots) depuis Provenholz (urbain +2, sacs de sable +1, fumigène +1) ou la colline de Holterberg (sacs de sable +1, colline +1, fumigène +1).

Il est vrai que le Bligther + Megrim sont de sacrées difficultés dans ce scénario. Il vaut mieux engager le Blighter avec de l'infanterie et jouer sur la portée du M60A1 pour le Megrim.

Si toutes la zones n'a pas été minées et remplies de sacs de sable. Et qu'au tour 5 vous êtes dans Geseke, vous avez vos chances avec Nato pour des assauts d'infanterie accompagné des M113s jusque là en réserve.

Avec des si on mettrait Paris en bouteille

Hi, I have a few years behind. funny.
Otherwise, I use mine and sandbags. I play solo and sometimes head to head. This scenario is mostly BlackHand winner. [B] Just to clarify after reading posts that bastard (Bligther) [mobile artillery] makes no opportunity fire, and without recognizing unit can't make parabolic shot [see OBA] [/ b]. These elements can tip the balance, indeed the progress of NATO short (open ground) does not help. I use the SW M60 (5 hexes) and Spetnatz special rule unit to clean fanatics (Zealots) from Prövenholz (2 urban, sandbags one, smoke one) or Holterberg Hill (sandbags +1 Hill +1, +1 smoke).

It is true that the Bligther + Megrim are sacred difficulties in this scenario. It is better to engage the blighter with infantry and play on the scope of the M60A1 for Megrim.

If all the zones has not been mined and filled sandbags. And at 5 round you are in Geseke, you have your chance with Nato, accompanied by infantry assaults M113s far in reserve.

if ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be no work for tinkers' hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.