Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, the first of Jebuh214's on-going series of tournaments finished today. We played at the lovely Bell's Comics and Cards shop in Grove City, PA. There were 6 people that showed up for the tournament and although we played the tournament that after the 1st round winners play winners and so on, we ended up all playing each other once, which was awesome. The tournament was Five for Fighting, which forces each player to bring 5 different summoner decks with them and play a different one each round. We used a point scoring system that seemed to work very well that gave points for how much life your summoner had left, opponent's champs killed, magic left, and wins/losses.

I managed to win this first tournament going 4-1 with a total of 1005 pts. It was a very fun and exciting time with some great people.

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to play. I originally had Mercenaries, Fallen Kingdom, and Sand Goblins but swapped them out for Jungle Elves, Swamp Orcs and Deep Dwarves. I have never played with Deep Dwarves in a tourney so I wanted to give them a try. Sand Goblins are fun, but I really enjoy playing with Swamp Orcs (even though I always lose with them in tournaments). Shadow Elves I love because they are so fast. My Jungle Elf deck is very versatile in my opinion. I can go heavy champ summon, snipe and assassinate with commons alongside haste, I can turtle using Jungle Guard and Ru if I have to, and Gorillas are just awesome against champs and summoners. Guild Dwarves are a no brainer as they are my best deck

I suppose I should post my decklist and order first:

Shadow Elves - Hydrake, Melek, Xaserbane, Swordsman x8, Ranger x2, Scout x5, Blademaster x3

Deep Dwarves - Lun, Sprog, Kynder, Miner x3, Scholar x4, Gem Mage x5, Battle Mage x4, Rune Mage x2

Swamp Orcs - Splub, Splack, Glarg, Hunter x6, Shaman x5, Savager x4, Swamp Beast x3

Jungle Elves - Miti Mumway, Makeinda Ru, Shikwa, Lioness x6, Archer x2, Lioneer x3, Jungle Guard x2, Gorilla x5

Guild Dwarves - Gror, Baldar, Grungor, Spearman x8, Defender x9, Engineer x1

Game 1

Me - SE vs David (Pianoman) TO

This game had me running and gunning. I kept pushing forward and Into Darknessing commons when they came out, and preventing him from getting magic with Shadows. Got frozen several times but kept up the pursuit. Xaserbane put on several wounds, as did several swordsmen. At the end Dave started to bring up Grognack to attack my frozen Selundar along with some commons but I got Melek out. Melek got frozen but I spent the magic and managed to get adjacent and finished Grognack off. David missed with his shamans on every attack I believe and never fury-ed, so that really hurt him. I killed Ragnor earlier in the game and I ended the game with Selundar at full health so that was a lot of bonus points. Off to a good start. 1-0

Game 2

Me - Deep Dwarves vs Jebuh214's Benders

Oh dear this was not a matchup I wanted. For one I have little tournament experience with the DD, for another I have even less experience going against Benders. They never get played because most everyone I know hates them, lol. I got mimic-ed an awful lot, probably 15 times (should have checked his deck beforehand). He mimic-ed my magic stasis that really stalled me for a turn (should have played it on him but I forgot about mimic). I got out a rune mage but he got mind controlled (slaps face), and ended up siphoning off 2 of my magic before I got him. Jebuh had one ridiculous turn that I'm sure I am missing some more info but I'll try to convey what he did: He mimic-ed my summoning surge and mimic-ed my illusionary warrior, he got out a breaker with illusionary warrior and got 3 magic from summonign surge. He then counter summoned my Lun with Tacullu, memory broke me (made me draw Sprog, which forced me to spend 1 magic), rune maged magic from me, and it's possible he had Etch out at this point and Rune mastered for magic. It was ridiculous. Needless to say I was annoyed, but hey, at least no more mimics. He breaker-ed me several more times as well. I managed to get some pot shots on Tacullu though with a battle mage and a miner. At the end of the game I had 2 battle mages who both managed to get stunned by deceivers. I had a full health Tundle and Kynder in my hand. Jebuh's Deceivers managed to miss like 100 times while I meditated enough magic to summon Kynder. Kynder pushed up a battle mage for the win. It was quite exciting. I stupidly built Sprog as magic a couple of turns before, not thinking that I could just sit back and meditate plenty of magic to get both of my champions out but luckily it didn't matter. I hate the Benders, lol. I killed Etch and had Tundle at full health at the end so yay more pts! 2-0

Game 3

Me - Swamp Orcs vs Brian (Btbam) Sand Goblins

Okay, this was my chance to do well with Swamp Orcs, I could feel it. I started off great and was murdering gobbos left and right. I ensnared several and got Glarg on the table. Thanks to a hunter, a savager, and Glarg, I got Krusk down to one health. I thought I had this game in the bag. Brian pulled out the Sand Worm and charged after Mugglug, while killing off my commons and stalling Glarg. I should have pulled back and killed the Sand Worm but for some reason I though I could have pulled off the quick win. Mugg kept running around with the Sand Worm chasing him. Mugglug lost health here and there over several turns, but at the end there were just too many shamans. I tried to pull Glarg back but it was too late, Mugg fell. It was sad, I really thought I had that game but Brian played it expertly. Taunting my commons away, miraging walls back to block my attacks, and using his commons for hit and run tactics. It felt very sand goblin-ey. I didn't get enough vine walls out I think. Every time I watch other people play the swamp orcs, the map is completely covered with vine walls. I must be too aggressive I guess. Oh well, yet another tournament loss with the Swamp Orcs. I at least prevented Brian from getting too many points since he didn't kill any of my champs and I got Krusk down to 1 life left. 2-1

Game 4

Me - Jungle Elves vs Josh (Pianoman's brother) Phoenix Elves

I felt pretty good about the matchup. I hate precise, magic drain, and all the burning cards, but Elien is so squishy and my guys have so much movement so I thought I would be okay. I pulled back at the start, and killed my own units for magic. I originally was going to champ rush but didn't draw my champs. I finally managed to get out Ru but I was on the defensive. I parked her next to my wall and just started killing everything. Ru got 4 wounds on her but I chant of lifed them away. I then summoned a Jungle Guard and parked him in a nice nook created by Josh's 3 walls. It was beautiful. I pinged at his units through the cracks, or just wailed on the wall, while Ru did her thing. I got out Shikwa and hasted her next to Elien. I needed my guard to get me one magic so Abua Shi could boost Shikwa and give her 2 attacks of 2 but my stupid guard missed on 2 dice! I still managed to put 2 wounds on though. However, Maelena with SotP and Elien one hit KOed Shikwa the next turn. Ru was killed and I went on the defensive. Then, Josh neglected to blaze step in front of my wall and I summoned a Lioness and hasted her to Elien. Shi boosted the lioness and I put the final 2 wounds on Elien. Thank heavens because I was out of deck cards and I only had 2 magic (thanks to 2 magic drains on the previous turn), and Miti in my hand. Abua Shi had no wounds but I didn't kill a champ. 3-1

At this point in the tournament there were several of us with 3-1 records. It would all come down to these last matchups with whoever winning AND getting a decent amount of points would win the tournament. Luckily for me Btbam had lost his previous match against Swamp Orcs I believe (what am I doing wrong?!).

Game 5

Me - Guild Dwarves vs Dan's Swamp Orcs

This was a favorable matchup for me as I could just sit around with my besiege the walls and wait to decimate Dan's setup. That's exactly what I did. I got out Baldar who never really got attacked because Dan had all multiple attack units. His vine walls got really close to my edge and he had plenty of magic to summon a couple of champs but Baldar chased Mugg into the open. I besieged the walls, got rid of the vines, and then kept summoning spearmen and defenders at Mugg. Mugg couldn't leave because of the defenders, and although both my commons would die, I kept putting wounds on Mugg. A couple of heroic feat attacks whittled him down to one health, then a Defender finished him off. Oldin didn't suffer a wound, although I didn't kill a champion again. I still felt pretty good with the win and a decent amount of points. 4-1

I watched the other two matches with eager eyes. Btbam (swamp orcs) was playing Jebuh (mountain vargath). Their game was very exciting and actually timed out at the end. Jebuh lost because of time and Sunderved only had 1 wound left. Mugglug had 4 wounds on him and the board was littered with vine walls (there's a pattern here with the swamp orcs I just know it). So although Btbam got the win, his wounded Mugglug really hurt his points. I think Pianoman was the other person with a 3-1 record but he lost his last match against his brother in a very excited Sand Goblin vs Vargath matchup.

Thanks to Jebu214 for a very well run tournament and a lovely winner's certificate. I played everyone at the tournament as well as fighting with and against 5 different factions! I would like to see all the decks everyone played to see the spread (I know nobody played Vanguards or Fallen Kingdom). It was a great experience and it was nice to meet some new friends. I really look forward to doing another one of these tournaments sometime soon. I hope you all enjoyed this report, I know it is a little long-winded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThisMeansWarg wrote:
I'm curious about the points system. Can you go into a little more detail about how the games are scored?

I can a little. I don't have the sheet in front of me, the event coordinator took them at the end, but I'll see if I can do a good rundown.

You get points (up to 100) for you surviving summoner at the end of the game. There was a chart that had summoner life points at the top, and summoner remaining life points on the left. Where they intersect was how many points you got. So whether you had Grognack had all his life, or Prince Elien with all his life at the end, you got 100 points. They scaled as well but I don't really recall how it was done because if I won my summoner never got hit, and if I lost, well then my summoner was dead, and I got nothing.

You got 100 pts for winning and some pts for losing. 25 or 45? Not quite sure.

For every card left in your magic pile at the end you multiplied by ten and got that many bonus pts (ie 3 cards in magic pile = 30 pts). I didn't really like this particular scoring method as there are factions like the Deep Dwarves that could just stall at the end building up magic for pts, and that's no fun. Luckily nobody played like that at the tournament but still, it'd be better without that issue being possible.

There was another chart similar to the summoner chart for champions. Champion name at the top, and pts were given based off the summoning cost (ie when I killed Etch I didn't get very many points, lol. But killing Krung would have been a ton). Actually I hardly killed any champions in the tournament, it was very odd.

I think that was it. There was another section for if you played a higher ranked player but since this was the first tournament I guess we didn't go into it. I hope I answered your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the scoring sheet:

Rank Determination:

1. W/L Ratio
2. Number of Summoner Strength Points
3. Head to Head W/L
4. Head to Head Summoner Strength Points
5. Coin Flip

How to Gain Summoner Strength Points Each Game:
How to Earn: Number of Points earned:
Win a match: 100

Lose a match: 25

Life Points of Summoner at end of game: Varies (see chart)

Total life >
Current life
V 4 5 6 7
1 25 20 17 14
2 50 40 33 29
3 75 60 50 43
4 100 80 66 57
5 - 100 83 71
6 - - 100 86
7 - - - 100

Number of Magic Points in Magic Pile at end of game: 10 per Point

Opponent’s Champions Destroyed: Varies (see chart)
Summon Cost of Champ: Points Earned:
1 5
2 10
3 15
4 25
5 35
6 45
7 60
8 75
9 100

Win against a player of higher rank than you: Varies (see chart)
Rank Difference: Points Earned:
1-2 25
3-4 35
5-6 50
7-8 70
9-10 95
11+ 125

Win a Tournament: 100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in attending sometime. Please let me know when and where the next one will be. I might be able to bring other people with me. It all depends on the date and other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.