Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: I hate the "Jeopardy" card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always just print artwork you like to continue using that card. Unless you also dislike the ability in the game.
Cause I find refreshing your hand is an interesting mechanic in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ptdnet wrote:
I simply hate the "Jeopardy" spell card.

It doesn't fit the theme and it doesn't even look good. We will not be using it in our games.

thumbsdownthumbsdown

Though they don't get much notoriety, Jeopardy video games have always been very popular. We even still pop in some of the NES and SNES Jeopardy games for a laugh. In fact among the early announced titles for the Wii U is a new Jeopardy game. There are few games that had more titles in the 8 and 16bit era than Jeopardy. Mega Man and maybe Mario are the only ones I can think of.

If you have a problem with the mechanics of the card then that's fine. There are other cards in this game that I am unhappy with mechanically as well. But this cards totally fits the theme of 8bit era gaming and shows that BWG really knows their stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny ONeal
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to explain the joke, but "Jeopardy" is actually as much of a Magic parody as a video game parody. The card ability is similar to the old Magic card Wheel of Fortune, ergo the name, and the art is inspired by the mechanically similar Magic card Balance.

You're not the first person to express a dislike for the card. It's one of the sillier-looking cards in the game, and we probably won't do a card like it in future. But it's one of a few pieces of art where we got so used to it that we "grandfathered it in." (Similarly, there are some pieces of art in the game that I made before I discovered the joy of working with more talented pixel artists -- I doubt I will be making my own art in the future.)

Again to make a comparison to Magic, at its beginning it was more idiosyncratic and less "corporate," with cartoony artists like Phil Foglio and more abstract artists like Drew Tucker contributing to the mix. There's less of a range for Boss Monster because it's all done in one specific style, but I'm sure we'll similarly zero in on a more consistent level of artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That makes a ton of sense. I figured the card was just a homage to Jeopardy games, but couldn't for the life of me understand how the art came to be.

I think the card would have been better received if it had the same text as the MTG card Winds of Change. Trying to figure out the connection between the art and the old Jeopardy games was really driving me crazy. One of the reasons we play the old games is that the graphics for the contestants are so completely horrible we can't help but find them hilarious. Add in the ability to name these "people" and the games just rock. Plus the SNES games attempt to add Alex into the A&Q process is also a hoot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Its kind of sad that we won't see any more like it.

Personally I think it works better if there are a few cards that aren't like the rest to add a bit of variety.

I mean I would probably raise an eyebrow if it wasn't pixel art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.