John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to kickstart and assuming I got less attention I wanted to print locally.

Lets say you got 108 card game w/ rules.
You kickstart 700 buyers so you look for the best 1000 print solution.
Can anyone run the numbers?

How much is shipping to the US from China.
Can anyone explain the best US option for 1000 units? if so don't you think they might be a 3rd party?

Where is the Morals Mushroom documentation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Design and Self-Publishing: A Primer for Self-Publishers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off thread topic...

How would you ship 1k to - 10,000 units?
is there a good final shipping process?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a prototype card game then you need to get quotes from manufacturers now before you launch the kickstarter campaign, otherwise how are you setting your funding goal?

You need to know all the costs up front, that’s the whole reason for getting quotes and they will tell you their minimum print run size and give pricing on different unit runs.

You should get quotes from several manufacturers for comparison

As far as shipping cost from China, that depends on how many units you are having producing and how many pallets they take up, plus you have to factor in customs fees, shipping from the port facility to your final destination, etc

“How would you ship 1k to - 10,000 units? is there a good final shipping process?”

Are you serious? Have you read any of the kickstarter threads, designer designers, post kickstarter campaign threads?

You’re in the U.S. right? Then your options are USPS, UPS or Fedex. You need to take your prototype game, see what size box it would fit in and then take it to the post office, UPS or Fedex to see what the best rates would be. I am assuming that for a card deck that USPS small flat box would probably be your best bet unless the it doesn’t weigh that much than first class might be the better option.

What do you mean for final shipping process? You’re going to have a pallet or pallets of games from the manufacturer. You will have a spreadsheet of names and addresses from the backers who supported your project, so plan on having some friends to help out printing labels, packaging games and helping ship them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the "constructive" feedback.

So in regard to final shipping... what if the hoyl card people had 10,000 unique backers? you need to have hand pack and ship 10,000? Stick 10,000 lables on 10,000 envalopes. at what point does it take a year to ship out the product because you can only lick 300 stamps a day?

I guess you are doing that for 2 months straight, Brutal.
so did Game Salute take care for ground floor shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

365 days x 300 stamps is 109,500 units. If you sell that many units you can afford to hire some temps to help. Most games won't sell anywhere near 10,000 titles. Have an organised work space with packing materials and pre-printed labels in assembly line fashion and you can probably ship everything pretty fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Lick stamps? Really come now

I honestly can’t tell if you want serious answers to your questions or not

If you are looking at putting your game on Kickstarter there are certainly a wealth of lessons learned already posted in the forums here.

No one has come close to 10,000 units from a kickstarter campaign, but yes whatever the amount is you have whether that’s 1000, 5000, etc then you will have that many game boxes to unload from the pallet/s you receive from the manufacturer along with any extra items you have offered supporters (t-shirts, stickers, SWAG, extra game components, signed items, etc) and you’ll have to hand package each group of items , print shipping labels and postage for each package. If you plan on doing international shipping then there are custom forms for each package and those have to be written by hand, you cannot use pre-printed labels on custom forms. Then you have to arrange for pick up of the packages or take them to whichever shipper you are using USPS, UPS, FedEx

Yes, its time consuming ,but if you want to run a Kickstarter campaign and become a game publisher then it’s one of the many items about the project you have to plan on doing.

I have no idea how Game Salute handles their shipping process, you would need to ask someone who works there.

This is why it’s important to do a project plan, running a campaign is not a one person operation. You will need help especially when it comes time to ship games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small Box Games prints cards in the USA, so I'd send a message to justjohn to see if he has any info to share. I believe that Dead Fellas was also printed in the USA>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.