BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Games in the Classroom

Subject: Games for lunch at schools rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I want to start a club that plays at lunchtime at my school.

Ideally I would like to have it occur 3 lunches a week but have separate age groups catered for on each day. So one day 5 to 8 year olds, one day 9 to 12 year olds and the other day 13 to 17 year olds.

Obviously it is a lunch time so games that are 20 minutes and take limited set up and put away time.

The school would not allow any games that have to do with violence etc. So martian dice would be ok but zombie dice would not (due to the gun shot). However, I think that implied violence would be ok (my zombie takes out your goblin but it is not explicitly said how it happens).

I want to gather a whole heap of games so would very much like people to list the games that they think would be a must.

Also on a side note how do you ensure that games are looked after well? Initially all games will be mine and I would hate to think that my treasured games will get bent cards and lost components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jane! I run a club at my school. Funny you should mention care of games - the latest episode of my podcast Games in Schools and Libraries (very creative name) is all about that very topic! The key thing I think is to lay down the expectations - things like flexing cards, washing hands as the club starts etc. Limiting numbers also helps.

Some of the games that have really worked well at my school include:

Apples to Apples Junior (middle/older)
Say Anything Family edition (middle/older)
Make N Break (younger/middle)
Back Seat Drawing Junior (middle/older)
Spooky Stairs (younger/middle)
Sherlock (younger/middle)
Halli Galli (younger/middle/older)
Blokus 3D (middle/older)
Sorts for Kids (middle/older)
Animal Upon Animal (younger/middle/older)

The 5 year olds are the hardest crowd - but Hisss, Chicken Cha Cha Cha, Animal upon Animal, Make N Break, Sherlock, Chaos in the Kids Room - are all good games for that age.

I have the saying - whatever comes out of the box goes back in, and I think organising what's in the box (in bags or whatever) is a good way to go. Make sure you leave yourself pack-up time - have the kids check under the table! Have a rule where (if there's a dice) it only counts if it ends it's roll on the table (or even better - in a box lid).

Hope that is some help - Don Dennis and I talk about games, games clubs and schools and libraries in our podcast - yes it's a shameless plug - but if you listen I hope you find it useful! Not every episode is as exciting as discussing the care of games - but we try Our website, our BGG Guild.

I also have a BGG account for our school games collection - really a place to keep track of what we have. There are no game comments, but I have managed to log some of the plays - so you can see what games are most played.

Well - aside from all my self-aggrandisement, I hope you find something of use!

Cheers,
Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Oppenheim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jane,
I help run a lunch time group for your older age group.

Games that they always come back to are bananarams and Jungle speed.
Other games which definitely work too are dixit and Hey that's my fish.

Tsuro, Hive, Incan Gold, Yikerz have also worked well. Loot too.

Zeus on the loose worked suprisingly well with 13/14 year olds, but would definitely be better for a younger crowd.

They enjoyed Cartagena, but it was too long.
Forbidden Island worked in our lunch time, but was very tight.

The curse is so many of the games I know they would enjoy are just a bit too long.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
2-4p Rumis (blockus 3d)
2-4p Blockus

2p Touche
2p Quarto
2p Chaos

2-6p Whoonu
2-6p Dixit

Any number - Ungame (yes, that is my favorite! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
About 18 years ago I got heavily into gaming almost entirely because of a group of students that met in my room during lunch. Over the years different groups would come and go depending on my assignment. The type of games we played varied greatly depending on the make up of the group.

As you can imagine, most of the best loved games were card games because they played quickly.
-Rook
-Wizard
-Raj
-Lost Cities

We also had a lot of fun with chess and other abstracts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the best one I can think of would be Hive. It's quick, but more importantly the pieces are study and will stand up to a beating/food.

It also doesn't have small pieces that will get lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I notice that all the games aren't high on the BGG reading list. Does this mean that games like Quarriors or Smash Up are too hard? I have read that they can play in short times.

Also had anyone tried playing games that draw out over a number of sessions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that a lot of kids will tell me "I don't like games that make me think too hard"---then they lump Hive into that category.

I think something that the kids are able to play and socialize at the same time is key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jacevy wrote:

I notice that all the games aren't high on the BGG reading list. Does this mean that games like Quarriors or Smash Up are too hard?

Depends on the age groups, the number of kids and the time allotted I think.

Quote:

Yes - but keeping the status of the game between sessions is problematic, and often time consuming to set back up.

I find playing single games to be better and more rewarding - the kids also seem to prefer it - but your mileage may vary as kids are obviously different!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a boardgames group each week as well as letting the more discerning boys in my tutor group loose on the games at lunchtime (they are all 15/16 years old). The current favourites include Ricochet Robots, Las Vegas, and Friday the 13th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the old faithful No Thanks!

3 to 5 player game easily plays in 10 to 15 mins

It's somewhat educational as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I can't believe I forgot Ricochet Robots! No game was played more over the years. There were groups where it fell completely flat, but when they got into it, they were hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels K.
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun fillers:

Monopoly Deal Card Game
Sluff Off!
Let's Take a Hike
+1 No Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spellenclub Lommel
Belgium
flag msg tools
5-8:

chicken cha cha cha
carcassone junior
zwarte kater/Schwarzer Kater(dutch and german, but very easy to teach)
kissenschlacht (pillow fight)
gulo gulo

9-12:

Hey that's my fish
Felix the cat in the sack
Ghost blitz 1.0 + 2.0
Pickomino
Rumble in the house

13-17:

Let's take a hike
Catan Dice Game
Wool Rules

Hope it will work out with the concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
jacevy wrote:

I notice that all the games aren't high on the BGG reading list. Does this mean that games like Quarriors or Smash Up are too hard? I have read that they can play in short times.

Smash up is silly and non-strategic compared to most listed here. But it's fun and age appropriate. More like a social party game for tween boys. My 9 and 11 year olds love it. While it does help teach basic game play habits it doesn't lend to a devlopment of strategic thinking per se and it lasts longer than lunch.

Short abstracts are the way to go for me because they are quick, thoughtful and develop the skills I'm looking to encourage.

Fluxx and We didn't playtest this at all and Smash Up are great for boys who want to laugh with a game for 1/2 hour or so, but don't let the bosco stick sauce get on the cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Oppenheim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trans Europa/America!
Played with some adults a couple of days ago, and it seems perfect, will try with my HS school lunch group on Friday (and my own 7yos tonight!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.