Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
I have a dice game that I think I'm ready to "Launch" onto the Internet, and this board seems like a great place to start (I've already discussed some of it's development and manufacturing here). Is this the sub-forum I should post in, or is there another? I hate to step on any toes here. I am hoping to sell a few online, so I don't want to be accused of spamming anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about adding it (and you as designer) to the game database as a start...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
How do I do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
See up there ^^^

Misc -> Add to Database -> Person (That's You! Where it says game credits and in the notes explain that you are adding a new (web-published) game and give links to the game material.
Direct link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/item/create/boardgameperson

So long as you've done this first, even if it's pending, you can go on to do this:

Misc -> Add to Database -> Board Game (Your game. Again, explain that it is a (web-published) game and give links to the game itself
Direct link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/item/create/boardgame

DoctorMike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
Yah yah, I figured it out and was just doing that. But once it's all added in, what forum do I tell people about the game in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends. Search the fora for similar launches, or start a blog here? Where comments are favourable, post there. When they aren't, don't.

Educated guess:
Board Game Design http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/26/boardgamegeek/board-game-d...
Press Releases http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/31/boardgamegeek/press-releas...

Hope that helps!

DoctorMike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
Is there anyone who actually knows something that might be able to help me? Maybe a forum mod?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walter, he just told you what you should do why do you need a moderator?

If your game is in its final product form and ready to release to the public either for free via Print and Play or for sale through your website or another website then you should make an entry in the data base.

Once that has been approved then you can add yourself as the designer, this will also enable you to have a game designer tag on your profile.

He also pointed out both the press release forum (everyone is allowed one press release) or you could talk about your game in the designer forum. Although the designer forum is generally for works in progress so the press release forum would be more appropriate.

What else do you need? There are no other spots for free advertisements for games, unless you were releasing the game via Kickstarter or similar crowdfunding site, then there is a kickstarter section as well.

If you want any advertisement beyond that, then you need to talk to the site owner about PAYING for a banner ad to promote your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
I was hoping somebody associated with the website itself would chime in with the official line, aka a Forum Moderator. So far I have two Mikes and two "Best Guesses".

As far as the submissions go, I've already done that. You would have seen that if you'd have read what I wrote. I'm not too sure why I don't have a "Game Designer" tag, the game and designer submissions were approved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. You are doing a bang up job of warming up to the community with your snippy answers and dissmisive responses to those people who are kind enough to take the time to help you.

Good luck with your game! whistleshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
Are we reading the same thread? So far I've been talked down to, treated like a villain, and TWO people have jumped down my throat for asking a simple question. You guys seem angry and just itching to chew me a new one. I am really flabbergasted. What is WRONG with you people? Is this some kinda of hazing? Are you just messing with the "New Guy"? Well, it's working, I am blown away by my rude treatment. Consider me "Hazed".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a personality like that, you're gonna go far kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
You know what, I'm sorry. Forget about it. I've managed to find out enough information on my own. I'm sorry for bothering you all. It seems like we're all speaking different languages here, maybe it's a cultural thing. Consider the subject dropped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriously dude, you need to lighten up

Pointing out the step by step process is not rude or hazing. I was simply asking why you need a moderator when Dr Mike already pointed out the steps you need to take in detail

There isn't a thread on the forum for FREE advertising other than the press release section that is the whole point you seem to be missing here.

Sorry if providing the facts seems like rude behavior or hazing

perhaps we should only write like this

Here are the options, if you have already taken one, our apologies please move on to the next option

1.Create Entry in the Database
2.Start a thread in the press release forum
3.If your project is going to be on Kickstarter, provide a description and link in the kickstarter general forum
4.If your project is a work in progress (WIP) please post in the designer forum, or as a designer diary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
MaxSMoke777 wrote:
TWO people have jumped down my throat for asking a simple question

No, it wasn't the question, it was your response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes tone is easily lost or misunderstood in forums and email. We were just letting you know that you were coming off as needlessly snippy. Especially when Mike was just trying to help you.

Here's a quick tip for the future: I noticed that not once in your initial responses did you thank Mike for taking the time to help you out. Good manners would have helped you out from the beginning.

For example. rather than starting out this way:

Quote:
Yah yah, I figured it out and was just doing that.

You could have said:

Quote:
Thank you for that information Mike, I was actually more curious about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Cortez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Walter, everyone else is crazy, you of course are a man above the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope I can buy this game soon. Wishlist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
2 years later. I've re-read the whole thread thoroughly from a fresh perspective and.... yah, you're still jerks.

FYI, sold out of all 266 copies of the 1st run and over 150 of the second edition. I win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
MaxSMoke777 wrote:
2 years later. I've re-read the whole thread thoroughly from a fresh perspective and.... yah, you're still jerks.

FYI, sold out of all 266 copies of the 1st run and over 150 of the second edition. I win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I just read through this entire thread for the first time ever, and I have to agree with everyone else that you kind of snapped for no apparent reason right around the time you started asking for a forum mod.

I'm happy you sold your game. Maybe with a more friendly demeanour you might have sold 4,000 units instead of 400, but I guess we'll never know now. As long as you're satisfied with the outcome, that's what really matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Well, this was...something. Although I have to lol @ the necro-bump just to rub in a few hundred sales of a still-unnamed game. Congrats on the sales - and I mean that sincerely as someone who wants to see the hobby do well in pretty much any form - though it's unfortunate that the only reason we know about it is because you wanted to gloat.

I actually came in because I was curious about the answer, though, so I'm glad the original question was answered. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaxSMoke777 wrote:

just posting this proves what a terrible person you are.

Either that or you are 12. In which case I'm very impressed that you managed to sell so many games and I can't wait till you grow up.

-E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is called Cursed.

It was reviewed by Ryan Metzler, who said it was a very light game, akin to Zombie Dice, and involves bluffing and dice rolling. He called the components "superb." Ryan suggested you need at least 5, if not more, to play, otherwise it would be too short. He played it with a 6 year old, which should give you some idea of the complexity. Ryan also said there weren't many of these games out there, which indeed is true.

So, it does exist, I am sure he sold all of them, but it was a little odd to get upset from the advice people here gave. And then to come back and be a little rude about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.