Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanting to clarify if Chaugnar Faugn's Attack requires an investigator to "discard three Clue token, [and] an Ally" or "discard three Clue tokens, [or] an Ally."

I've played it as discarding both since there is no "or" stated in the Attack but I'm just not sure this is right as I find the wording a bit ambiguous...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I read it, you must pick from three choices; discard two clue tokens, or discard an ally, or be devoured. Lists separated by commas have to have a conjunction before the final item, in this case, "or". There's no "and" to make clues and an ally a separate (and inclusive) list.

edit- I meant three clue tokens, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there are some errors of grammar/syntax in the sentence. This is how I read it:

Each investigator must either discard three Clue tokens or one Ally, or be devoured. Chaugnar Faugn cannot have more than three doom tokens removed from his doom track during a single round of combat - he ignores all further successes

But it does look a little as though they intended:

Each investigator must discard three Clue tokens, one Ally and <something else that got dropped in an edit without fixing the syntax>, or be devoured. Chaugnar Faugn cannot have more than three doom tokens removed from his doom track during a single round of combat - he ignores all further successes.

Frankly either way is pretty harsh and is one of the reasons we call it a loss when the AO wakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! Looks like I was indeed reading it wrong and I can see that it is a case of three different options. Whereas I was reading it as "discard three Clue tokens, one Ally, [otherwise] be Devoured" which is what was causing the confusion.

Regardless of my mistake we would have all been Devoured by the end of the second round of combat in the Final Battle. These IH AOs are brutal and I can't imagine defeating them.

I tend to agree with you MC, if the AO awakes it basically a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Box
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too read it as either discarding clue tokens or an ally.

The IH AOs really are tough. We've never managed to defeat one yet. We only ever win the game if we prevent them from awakening (which isn't often).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.