Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently playing the base set with one investigator and the variant rules of drawing a myths card every other turn, requiring 4 clue tokens to seal a gate and requiring only 4 sealed gates for victory. I have read that Dunwich is difficult to play with a low number of investigators, but would it work with these variant rules or maybe with an increased movement bonus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds more reasonable using the variant you have mentioned. I think you could find it very hard just using the Normal rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an interesting variant. What is your success rate playing like this using the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
Sounds like an interesting variant. What is your success rate playing like this using the base game?

This is my first time playing. I got the idea from the following thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11181568#11181568

[thread=11181568][/thread]

I will let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, just to hazard a guess, I would have thought that playing with Dunwich would still be manageable. Two characters (which would, in effect, be two turns per mythos, albeit with less constrained movement possibilities) is difficult with Dunwich added, but I'd guess that the reduced clue tokens requirement and gate closure requirement would make this more than possible, especially with an AO like Azathoth.

Good luck! I look forward to reading about it. Or not... if the end comes and we all perish in the ravenous maw of the boundless idiot god from beyond angled space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't think this game was ever meant to be played with just one investigator. That being said, it's really a "sandbox" game system and if you've got a variant that works for one investigator and you're having fun, that's cool. I've never tried playing with Dunwich included with only one investigator, it seems like there would just be too much ground to cover. From my experience, 3 or 4 investigators gives the best game experience with Dunwich. I'd be interested in hearing how this works out for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished my game using these rules (base game only). I won. The doom track on Yig was at 8. I am surprised that I won, but I was playing Ashcan and drew the Tommy Gun for my common and the a card that gave me +3 movement for my unique item. Also, when it was getting tense I drew several mythos cards in the row that caused monster surges rather than advancing the doom track. These gave me time to complete the gate closings. So maybe an aberration or maybe I missed a rule somewhere. Anyhow, the game was fun and a story emerged. I am eager to try this again with these rules.

BTW, can you have more than one flying monster in the sky?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:

Yes, but note that The Sky is part of Arkham, and monsters there count towards the Monster Limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

Yes, but note that The Sky is part of Arkham, and monsters there count towards the Monster Limit.

I did catch that rule, thanks for the reminder. One follow up, do monster in the sky attack a character when they move into any street or only when they end movement at a street location? I assume it is the former because most of the time you don't end movement in a street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
Radulla wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

I did catch that rule, thanks for the reminder. One follow up, do monster in the sky attack a character when they move into any street or only when they end movement at a street location? I assume it is the former because most of the time you don't end movement in a street.

A monster in the Sky that moves during the Mythos Phase will only move to an investigator who is in a Street Location, ie they ended their movement in a Street Location. If there is no investigator in a Street Location the monster will stay in the Sky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
atsgamer wrote:
Radulla wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

A monster in the Sky that moves during the Mythos Phase will only move to an investigator who is in a Street Location, ie they ended their movement in a Street Location. If there is no investigator in a Street Location the monster will stay in the Sky.

It seems very easy to avoid monsters in the sky because you don't often end movement in a street location. So if you get a couple of monsters in the sky this can really help your mobility.

Thanks for that clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It seems very easy to avoid monsters in the sky because you don't often end movement in a street location. So if you get a couple of monsters in the sky this can really help your mobility.

It can also be useful to take the pressure off the Dunwich Horror. Sometimes this can be a pain though. I have found myself with a King In Yellow Herald escalating Terror Track, the sky clogged with monsters refusing to come down.

"Come and get me!!", he screamed into the driving rain as the townsfolk fled or were driven mad, "What are you waiting for!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:

"Come and get me!!", he screamed into the driving rain as the townsfolk fled or when mad, "What are you waiting for!!"

For the Flare Gun to be fired?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.