Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

When discarding is it done face up or down? I ask as sometimes you draw from the discard pile, so should you be able to see what you are about to draw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mehr
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You discard face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can see that an attack will deal no damage before you make the attack, surely that brings and end to it as no player is going to want to draw that card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
?
Can you explain this a little better. I am really lost as to what you are talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So am I , lets say in top of the discard pile is and evade action card, why would I make an attack knowing that's the card that's going to be drawn as a hit since its not a hit.

The reason I am confused is there are not enough walk through examples, so I have to fall back in the ones that are there. Does applying is damage work the same way as applying carrier damage? Where you draw a card look at it and see if its one, two hits or a miss?

If yes my confusion comes from already being able to see the card I am drawing as its in top on the pile.

If not..what would I do in the case of a EA on top of the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Mark

Glad to see that you got your game!

I'm not sure what is going on but we'll get you back on track.

I THINK you are referring to the instance where each player draws a card in the Carrier Phase?

In this case the card is ALWAYS drawn from the top of the deck, NEVER the discard pile.

The ONLY times a card is ever taken from the discard pile are when you have a Weapons Generator (this is one of the Upgrades) or if you are applying damage from a Strafe or Defense Cannon hit(s).

ANY other time, (when filling your hand to 5 cards or resolving the Carrier battle) cards are drawn blindly from the top of the deck.

Let me list how cards work, in order of Phase, just to make sure this has been clarified for all future players as well:

CARDS GOING INTO THE DISCARD PILE ARE ALWAYS FACE UP.

1 Carrier Phase - each player draws one card from the top of the deck, reveals it and applies damage (or no damage). It is then placed in the discard pile.

1 Draw Phase - At the start of his turn, each Player draws up to a hand of 5 cards from the draw pile. He does not get to see what cards he is getting UNLESS he posses a Weapons Generator, in which case he may take either one Ionized OR up to two Hits from the Discard Pile.

1 Fighter Phase - cards only come into play from teh discard pile if a Fighter Squadron does damage to a Gunship via a Strafe. In this case, and needed damage cards are pulled from the discard pile.

1 Gunship Phase - cards are played from the Player's hand. Any card that is played that does NOT end up on another Player's gunship Board (as damage) is added to the discard pile. This includes any attack cards that miss due to Evasive Action, the Evasive Action cards themselves, any Modifiers, etc.

Also, if a Player is Crippled due to an Ionized card reaching has Power Generator, his hand is added to the discard pile.

NOTE - Any Ship Cards (these are the Shields, Armor, Weapons, etc.) that are expended during the game are ALWAYS returned to the Player's Ship Deck and are NEVER put in the discard pile.

1 Repair Phase - Any Damage Control cards and the damage they remove are placed in the discard pile.

1 Discard Phase - Players may discard up to two cards (one card may always be discarded but two may only be discarded if NO cards were played during their turn). These cards go into the discard pile.

I probably over-explained all this but I wanted to be thorough.

Cheers!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

And sorry for the confusion I am causing.

Can someone explain what happens if I strafe, cause a hit on a gunship and there are no cards in the discard pile.

What happens if I strafe and there is only an EA card in the discard pile.

By "pull from the discard pile" do you mean search the pile or draw the top card.

It's just using the discard pile that is confusing me. The rest of the game makes perfect sense.

It's probably me just caught in an internal logic loop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I get it.

You SEARCH the discard pile to find any Hits, etc. You do not grab the top card.

If there are NO Hits in the discard pile (this is rare) then you will sometimes have to go through the deck and grab one, then reshuffle. That is stated in the Rulebook somewhere but I forget what page.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve, that's what was confusing me, I had been going back and forth in the rule book but couldn't see it.

Cheers and congrats on a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.