GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,141 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Garden Dice» Forums » Variants

Subject: Gardening for one - a solo variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have come up with a very simple solo variant for Garden Dice. It's such a lovely little game, I thought it would be nice to play solo, pottering around your garden on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

To set up:

1. Roll 2 dice, and place a rock in that space. You may choose which of the two possible co-ordinates to place the rock.

2. Roll 2 dice again, and place the second rock in that space, again choosing where to place the rock.

3. Take all discs of one colour, and the Sundial/Scarecrow tile. Place one of your discs on the score track, as per the regular game.

4. Place one disc of another colour on the '100' space of the score track. This will be called the Time Marker from now on.

5. Place the seed tiles within easy reach, as normal. You won't need the Sun, Rabbit/Bird, or Sun tiles, so put them back in the box. You're ready to go!

To play:

Play is just like normal Garden Dice: roll the 4 dice and assign them to actions. After you have completed your actions, however, roll 2 dice and move the Time Marker that many spaces counterclockwise along the points track. Then take your next turn. As soon as the Time Marker moves below the 1 space of the points track, the game is over.

To win:

To win the game, try for 100 points. If that is too easy, adjust your goal or try and beat your high score!

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice solo variant!

I just tried it using 5 tiles per stack (I assumed this is what you intended) and played in about 15 minutes. My final score was 129; here's what I ended up with in terms of sets:

5x squash
2x carrots
2x tomato
3x artichoke
2x eggplant

Thanks for posting this, I hope others will have fun with it, too!

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Doug. I have been playing more and more of your game recently, it really is a fantastic design. well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent job - I only wish all games featured a solo-variant in-box.

Speaking of... Doug: any chance of getting something like this on an official backgrounded rules accompaniment to print out...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clockpunk wrote:
Excellent job - I only wish all games featured a solo-variant in-box.

Wish I had thought of that!

Clockpunk wrote:
Speaking of... Doug: any chance of getting something like this on an official backgrounded rules accompaniment to print out...?

Great idea and yes, I think something like should be possible. I'll post something within the new few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Good man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I be cheeky and bump this...? Ah, doing so anyway. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clockpunk wrote:
Can I be cheeky and bump this...? Ah, doing so anyway. laugh

By all means, thanks for the bump! Will get crackin' on this ASAP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've play tested a variant of Scott's variant, and I'd be interested in hearing any feedback before I have the rules formatted and posted:

Start the game with five tiles per stack.
Take turn as normal.
After each turn, roll a single die and remove the highest numbered tile from the seed stacks that is less than or equal to the roll. Re-roll sixes.
Game ends when last tile is taken.
Note: you may use the Sun Token per the normal rules, or you may use it once to prevent a tile from being removed from the stacks.

The goal is to beat a score of 100 (or your previous highest score).

I am undecided about whether the rocks should be placed on the board at the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh! This sounds like fun - thank for taking the time/effort to do this, Doug.

Just to confirm, as soon as the last seed tile is taken, *boom*, end of game? I might be inclined to have one final potential mop-up turn, just to add a little pressure at trying to get the numbers you NEED for that final big harvest, as well as including the rocks to liven things up.

Perhaps the option to use a pair of 6's to shatter one and remove it from play might work...?

Shall pull out my copy this afternoon, and give it a bash. Sounds like it will play out a touch quicker (by a couple of turns, nothing significant) than Scott's variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clockpunk wrote:
Just to confirm, as soon as the last seed tile is taken, *boom*, end of game? I might be inclined to have one final potential mop-up turn, just to add a little pressure at trying to get the numbers you NEED for that final big harvest, as well as including the rocks to liven things up.

Yes, I was playing "game over" as soon as the last tile is taken, but I'm not opposed to the idea of having one final turn as you describe. I'll try it out, and with the rocks. Those will make it a little more of a challenge.

Clockpunk wrote:
Shall pull out my copy this afternoon, and give it a bash. Sounds like it will play out a touch quicker (by a couple of turns, nothing significant) than Scott's variant.

Yes, it is a little quicker. Thanks for giving it a go and let me know how you like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It works, and I had fun! I went straight and used the rocks as I suggested, and managed to destroy one which was very awkwardly placed (but only realised 4 turns in). Only ended up with 85 points, and that was with a mop-up turn, but then it would have been more were it not for that one rock! ^_^

Sorry I can't give much more feedback than that...

Just wondering how I might work a little bird/rabbit munching randomness into the mix, without breaking it... Perhaps the latter returning the tile as a seed either to the pile or the same space (leaving the shoot to regrow, as it were), while the order removes it from the game entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump!!

Haven't forgotten about this; the file will be worked up shortly and submitted to BGG. Thanks for your patience!

Cheers,
Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
File has been uploaded to BGG, awaiting Geekmod approval. Thanks for your patience and enjoy!

-Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.