Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... in fact, the game is probably more closely related to El Grande, in that it features area control as the primary goal.

I think of it more as a 'sweep-of-history' game in the lines like Britannia. It shares more features with that game: invasions starting at the rim of the board, every civ has different abilities and thus different areas valuable for scoring points, an empire grows for a few turns, then gets rolled up by a new one, etc.

One big advantage (a nice change to the regular games) is the fact that combat is diceless. Thus, you can calculate how far you can get. Also nice is that every game is different (there are different sets of tiles that get offered).

A disadvantage in my opinion is that it is a typical "bash-the-leader" game: you gang up on the one who is leading in points (Britannia for instance is better in that every player scores big at different moments).

Quote:
While not the two-hour Civilization game it initially was touted as, Vinci is still an outstanding positional strategy game, that features interesting choices and varied play, due to the randomness of the civilization counters.

I don't know why they did that, but on the other hand, it seems every new game involving trade or combat gets compared to civ (Mare Nostrum, La Citta, heck, even Attika).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
...the game is probably more closely related to El Grande, in that it features area control as the primary goal.

Maybe this is a little pedantic, but Vinci has no area control at all. In area control games, all players can occupy locations with multiple units. Player(s) with majorities get more points (or all points). In Vinci, only 1 player's units may be on any one space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I would say that the main similiarity to Civilization in Vinci is in the picking of civilization tiles - it's like picking up your civilization cards in Civilization because of the special abilities and variety and planning ahead with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.