GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series» Forums » General

Subject: am i missing something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike r
msg tools
our group searches away the medical tricorder and grenade launcher asap. are we missing something quite useful with these cards? they just dont seem to hold a candle to phaser 2 or other similarly costed cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the Medical Tricorder is one of the most valuable cards in the game, but probably not something to stock up on. If you are using an attack-based strategy, then the Grenade Launcher is quite powerful, even used as a one-off.

Odd that you mention Phaser II, though. I usually cycle that one away, or perhaps trash Phaser I for the XP to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike r
msg tools
it just seems like the medical tricorder is far to situational to be reliable, how are you using it for consistnt effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the obvious reply is here is, have you actually tried using them or do you just assume they aren't good cards?

Medical Tricorder: Given how few trashing options there are in the game, upgrading allows you to get more powerful cards and still keep your deck thin. Admittedly, its not that great of a card, but I have seen it used effectively. The problem, of course, is that between this and Memory Alpha, you have two cards in your deck that don't help you complete missions.

Grenade Launcher: Note that this is a maneuver card. If you trash your hand phaser, you are only spending 2XP on what is clearly a better card. Is it better than phaser II? I can't recall any other card in the deck that can get a +9 on its attack stat and getting at least 5 out of it is trivial. If a war event flips, Phaser II shoots first, but Grenade will get you a kill. You're obviously losing the other abilities that Phaser II has, so you have do decide if specialization is better than diversification. Its not a worse card, its just a different card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike r
msg tools
we have been playing pretty much nightly, usuall my wife and me and i have tried the med tric several times, losing every game i have tried it with, it just seems like it never comes together. perhaps i will revisit it again it does give a diplo. i agree that in a battle the grenade launcher can end things quickly, if you get to fire.

are most of your games 3-4 players? that might change things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually 3Ps. Combat dynamic is a little different as you more often end up with a kingmaker than victory through bullying. But grenades are still useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.