Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played through the first chapter, but find myself wondering about the adjacency rule.

I am yet to find two tiles spaces near each other, orthogonal or diagonal, or even offset diagonal, which do not qualify as adjacent by the mouse base rule... Even, for example, in the tree base at the end of chapter one, in which the rules specify that only one of the spaces is adjacent, I could span the mouse base between another space and the entrance.

This near universal adjacency, even for spaces which appear not to be so in the picture, has meant, in my experience, that minions and mice reach each other very quickly, and that mice can get pretty much as far as they need to in one or two moves, somewhat diminishing the importance of spaces (beyond raised platforms, red lines and other specific obstacles.)

This is fine, except there are a few spaces which, by their illustration, seem to have been drawn in such a way that they are not meant to be adjacent, and yet the mouse base test makes them so.

Is the adjacency rule always reliable? And do people sometimes go with their gut, judging spaces not to be adjacent when a mouse base only just bridges the gap?

EDIT I meant 'spaces', not 'tiles'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a listener of the Plaid Hat Podcast, I heard the designer talking about that rule. From what I understand, the tile art was drawn first, and then the adjacency rule was written to allow the tiles to be used as drawn (because they looked so good). So the tiles were not drawn with the adjacency rule in mind. In the end, I think the rule was written to allow maximum leeway to the player. Interpret it however you wish.

I do think that the tiles are meant to be traversed fairly quickly in service of a faster moving game. Turns with players and minions just moving towards each other are not terribly exciting, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robby hayes
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Just a Pilgrim
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first chapter, even though you can span other tiles to the entrance of the tree, by the rules of the tile, only the one is adjacent, since the roots are in the way.

Other tiles, like the crystal caverns, can have crystals blocking adjacency.

The way we have played it is that the base needs to significantly span the gap to be adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use the word "tile" I assume you mean "space".

It is my opinion, that spaces exist in a game for the purpose of determining position and portioning out movement. I didn't want movements in M&M to be bogged down by rigidity that lengthens turns and slows other dungeon crawl games down. I also wanted the play environment to be organic. M&M has a visual quality to it that is part of the immersion.

However, there are some things that are intended to be firm:

You cannot cross the black areas such as the voids between pipes, or the walls of a tunnel.

Red lines cannot be crossed by mice unless they find another way.

Yellow lines always cost 3 move unless you are going with an arrow.

You cannot cross a fat mushroom, or any other sizable obstacle between spaces.

Entering the tree can only happen from the space indicated, but two spaces separated by a tree root are considered adjacent to each other, just not adjacent to the tree opening.

I realize some of this seems loose and quirky at first, but most players get used to these quirks fairly quickly and later appreciate the results. It's part of the charm, and intentional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general you can go corner to corner, but there are a few places were you can't.

Remember that you use a mouse to check not the creature moving like a rat or spider. Mice are smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it takes a little getting used to, but not long. There are a few spaces that are too wide to be considered adjacent, but most of the time the there is plenty of adjacency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
When you use the word "tile" I assume you mean "space".

Correct, and thank you for the clarifications!

Very much enjoying the game so far. I have been eyeing this for a while, but left the US for the UK shortly before it came out. I cracked last week and paid UK prices (it hurts, after living in the US for ten years), and haven't regretted it - my seven year old son is very taken by the game.

I also liked that you had a 'lost chapter' to download... a nice bonus. General game piece quality is very satisfying, although I would have preferred thicker character sheets, and my game track board had some weird mottling defect.

Overall, these are small niggles. It's a top notch product, which lives up to the high praise. Congrats.

PS
nobeerblues wrote:

Yellow lines always cost 3 move unless you are going with an arrow.

Or hook and thread, I assume...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReverendP4in wrote:
Other tiles, like the crystal caverns, can have crystals blocking adjacency.

Interesting... I haven't reached that chapter but was wondering about that.

ReverendP4in wrote:
The way we have played it is that the base needs to significantly span the gap to be adjacent.

Makes perfect sense as a house rule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the "significant" span house rule - first play yesterday/today (we won! woot!) and we did just this. If it looks like the gap is so big you have to start measuring with a base, we tended to say it's probably not adjacent, and that worked well. A good honest commonsense approach seems to pay dividends, in Ch 1 anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question, and I'm not certain either. The video was simple, and didn't cover the nuances of the tiles. So this past weekend, I had the same problems about adjacency (however, my daughter was perfectly fine). In Chapter 1, when standing on a stone space (not Tile), clearly there are 4 adjacent spaces a mouse can move to. But, can they move diagonally, meaning there are 8 spaces?

And what about a current? Can they move diagonally in a current as well?

And finally, due to the artwork, there are tiny stone spaces on the tiles. Are these playable? We were using them to move diagonally.

It didn't seem right that a miuse or minion could cover a board so quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.