Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it allowed for any player to build a city in both Phase 2 (immediately after having won an auction) and then build another in Phase 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are a little misleading. You can only build a city in Phase 3. Also, the cards you win at auction in Phase 2 go into your hand NOT on your piles in front of you. Don't forget to flip half, rounding up, your open color card to closed when you win the Major role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Garrett
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
www.garrettsgames.com
badge
This week's podcast - Circus Flohcati, Pi Mal Pflaumen, and Pack O Games Set 2
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding from the rules was that you CAN immediately build if you win an auction for the cards in Phase 2, which means that you can build AGAIN in Phase 3 when you have a choice to either lay down cards OR build.

I agree that the cards won at auction go into your hand, however.

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gonzalez
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules say quite clearly that you CAN build a city during Phase 2, after winning an auction. They go on to say that in Phase 3, every player has the choice of building a city or playing cards of one color from their hand. I'd like to know if this is incorrect, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We need to have Emanuele Ornella, the designer explain the possibility of building 2 cities per round. If that were possible true , do the owners of the major roles still get vp's and also the minors twice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
To help others follow the discussion, the English rules state:

The remaining player:
- may build exactly 1 City (see the "Build a City" Section)

Our group plays that winning an auction is a pre-requisite to building in Phase 3 (when cities are built). We have never interpreted this to mean that a city can be built in Phase 2. - We were wrong, see post below.

Even with the comments listed above, I still read the translation as simply allowing or enabling the city build in Phase 3. Having won an auction, a player may now build 1 city during Phase 3. Players who do not win auctions cannot build cities in Phase 3 and can only play a group of like-coloured cards from the hand. In other words, even if they can pay for the city in Phase 3 with their current cards - they must win an auction in Phase 2 in order to gain the privilege to build a city in Phase 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emanuele Ornella replied to me by email, and he said:

Quote:
The question is "Is it allowed for any player to build a city in both Phase 2 (immediately after having won an auction) and then build another in Phase 3?"

The answer is Yes, you can build a city in Phase 2 and after that again in
Phase 3. You can also build a city more than once in Phase 2 if you win
multiple auctions.

Remeber that if you build in Phase 3 you are not allowed to play cards of
one color in the same phase of the same turn.

Which I think clears this one up. Thanks to all those who replied.

I've now played the game twice, once without Phase 2 building and once with. In the latter case, only once in the game did anyone have enough cards/money to build twice in a turn. I felt the main difference was being able to meld cards-of-one-colour each turn (i.e. without forgoing the build), this making the role allocation less random and so more significant within the game. Mind you, I came last on both occasions, so perhaps I should look for a third version of the rules, one that gives me a better chance.

Quote:
do the owners of the major roles still get vp's and also the minors twice?

My answer would be yes. The printed rules for Phase 2 describe City Building only by reference to Phase 3 and do not state any difference in procedure or scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.