Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Schoemaker
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a tough game nut to crack. It is odd that some games really strike her fancy, but others don't.

I purchased Guillotine at a local shop in October, 2005. I brought it home and placed it on the table with a suggestion we try playing it. It sat there for two months... accumulating dust. Then we went to my brothers and it was one of two games he owns. Amazingly my wife really liked the game.

Guillotine uses two "decks" of cards. One is a deck of nobles from the time of the French revolution. Only two or three are historicaly memorable, the rest are generic nobles. You place 12 nobles in a row out on the table at the dawn of every day. Each noble has a point value; the King is worth 5, the Piss Boy 1, the Martyr -3. The noble at the front of the line is the first to the chopping block (and your score pad) at the end of your turn. A game lasts three "days", or rounds of nobles.

The other deck is an Event deck. This varies from "Move a Noble forward X spaces" to "Go through the Deck and select any card" to "Make your opponent weep by playing this card".

Play proceeds by the active player laying down an Event card and then at the end of turn taking the noble at the front of the line. The entire object of the game is to score the most points.

This is an incredibly LUCK driven game. You get the right cards and you are unstoppable. However it is also a light diversion of a game which obviously does not take itself too seriously. The artwork is funny and some of them have witty comments. Some cards have little diagrams for those who don't understand what "Move this noble forward two spaces" means. This enables players who might be imbibing to be functional at the game for a while longer than they otherwise might.

Any time I find a spouse friendly game it goes into the hope chest we use as a game cabinet on the main floor of the house. This one went right in there when we got home from our trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Witta
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the Martyr is worth -1, the Hero of the People is -3
Ah, and collecting a noble is not the end - the turn ends after drawing a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.