17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Does anyone remember Clue: The Great Museum Caper? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
I played it a lot years and years ago and I think my family would love it but $157.49 for a 20 year old board game is a little steep.

Is there a better alternative?

For those who haven't played it, the things that were fun about it:
One person was invisible and made 1-3 moves every turn on a separate sheet of paper, trying to steal things out of the building and escape.
The person trying to catch them could ask one question every round like with regard to which surveillance camera(s) could see them or the color of the room they are in.
Every time an item disappeared from the board, your heart would skip a beat and there were times when your characters would cross paths and there would be an intense chase.

Surely, there must be a more modern version of this. It's the one category I feel is missing from our collection. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, community!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, it goes for that much now? The value has gone up lots in the last few years. There are a few other similar games, none of which I've played. here are the ones I know.

Scotland Yard
N.Y. Chase
Fury of Dracula (second edition)
Garibaldi: The Escape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this game on a regular basis at thrift stores (price range $1.99 to $5.99). If you like, I'll keep an eye out, and let you know when I find one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you very much, both of you.

What about the Mr. Jack series? Is that similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Robbins
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Great Museum Caper. Though I've never played, it seems like Scotland Yard is going to be the most similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found ours at the thrift store...my son and I play it pretty regularly, usually several times in a sitting. Mr. Jack is not the same, although it is a pretty good two player detective/bad guy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It seems you can still get the game on e-bay for 10-20 dollars yet.I would not pay 157 dollars for one.I have one copy and found another copy at goodwill and gave it to a friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears on eBay regularly. Just save a search and you can be notified whenever one is listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where exactly are you getting $157.29? There are three for sale in the marketplace, for $18, $20, and $33. You can get one from Amazon for $28. There are multiple copies on ebay. Unless this is not it: Clue: The Great Museum Caper

EDIT: Oh, it's another guy on Amazon. Don't buy from him, he wants $157.29.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
I see this game on a regular basis at thrift stores (price range $1.99 to $5.99). If you like, I'll keep an eye out, and let you know when I find one.

Ditto. Just saw one this week. If it's still there when I go out this week I'll let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, with this title it is generally the shipping that will kill you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a geek auction going on right now. Starting bid is $17.00 and shipping is free. At that price, that's probably as good as you can do.

[listitem=2516934][/listitem]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
I just won one on ebay for $13! Thanks for all of the offers to look for me, I appreciate everyone's kindness and thoughtfulness!

Is Mr. Jack Pocket still worth checking out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had it and I liked it, but shelfspace was too precious. That game box is HUGE, especially for what amounts to a filler time-wise. I don't like it as much as 3 other games that could fit in its place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ott
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel is a pretty similar game, and I'd say better, though significantly more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt A
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is the best in the Scotland yard series of games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meldryn wrote:
Letters from Whitechapel is a pretty similar game, and I'd say better, though significantly more complex.

Similar in mechanics, but not "style".. Clue: The Great Museum Caper has loads of style. A great game. Needs a reprint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.