Inge
Belgium
gent
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I finally found someone to play (games) with!
She's willing to play even daily! Yes, I'm lucky...
However...There is allways a however...
The choices are limited. 9 out of 10 games that I introduce to her are not her cup of tea.
And we (or should I say me...) need some fresh games.

To get an idea:
Her favorite games:
-Carcassonne, with some expansions
-Jambo with expansions
-balloon cup

Great games she enjoyed a lot, but got bored of:
-dominion
-castle panic

Games she finds good enough to play, but are'nt a winner

-arena (roma 2)
-galaxy trucker (or is this one just to please me? She hates space themes)
-pickomino
-sorry sliders (good when more friends around the table)

Games that failed
Rattus,Mr Jack, K2, Havana, Pandemic, catan card game, cold war CIA vs KGB, Jaipur, space alert (what was I thinking...), tycoon, wings of war: famous aces, arkadia, ticket to ride, turn and taxis

My conclusion so far
Do's
-must have lots of confrontation, take that element, backstabbing
-scoring must be visual (she likes the' HAHA, I'm ahead of you')
-cards are a great plus
-quick turns

Don't
-to complicated (no agricola, cuba...)
-abstract (no blokus, hive...)
-dry (your turn, my turn, silent thinking)
-worker placement games

The next games on my list to teach her are babel and zombies!!
I'm hesitating about purchasing survive: escape atlantis, smash up, basilica, mystery rummy, escape:curse of the temple

Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
The only thing I can think of that fits all those criteria is Gloom?

Edit: I really don't think she'll enjoy Zombies if she didn't like the other ones you listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line

Babel

Nexus Ops

Neuroshima Hex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Battle Line
Yomi
Summoner Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inge
Belgium
gent
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:
The only thing I can think of that fits all those criteria is Gloom?

Edit: I really don't think she'll enjoy Zombies if she didn't like the other ones you listed.

Gloom is indeed one of those games that crossed my mind.
But her english is not so good, so I generally make paste-ups.
And I suppose that could be a problem with these transparent cards.

And zombies... Yeah, that one I want to introduce for selfish reasons...I'm hoping to convince here with the great 'backstabbing' argument

Thanks for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Innovation, easily. Assuming it's available in your native language

You would also get the Iello version, which has much prettier cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Neuroshima Hex!. Seems to fit all your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think she would absolutely love Puzzle Strike (Third Edition). This one is meant to be played several times back to back as one game can be over in 20 minutes. Its deck building using round chips drawn from a bag instead of cards. There is a ton of attacking.

Oh...and she gets major thumbs up for liking Jambo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Hoover
United States
Burbank
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She didn't like Jaipur?! The solution is to get a new friend. There are plenty of fish in the sea, but only one Jaipur cool

But seriously...I would avoid showing her Zombies!!! That game lures you in with its cool premise, but man is it DULL!

Maybe try Morels or Timeline: Inventions? Both are pretty visual, simple card games. Not super cutthroat though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inge
Belgium
gent
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JTempest wrote:
She didn't like Jaipur?! The solution is to get a new friend. There are plenty of fish in the sea, but only one Jaipur cool

But seriously...I would avoid showing her Zombies!!! That game lures you in with its cool premise, but man is it DULL!

Maybe try Morels or Timeline: Inventions? Both are pretty visual, simple card games. Not super cutthroat though.

Did I say I hated Jaipur too? whistle
I found it really boooooring...
Am I the only one on the planet???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Neuroshima Hex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inge pen wrote:
JTempest wrote:

Did I say I hated Jaipur too? whistle
I found it really boooooring...
Am I the only one on the planet???

If you found Jaipur boring, you won't like Morels either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
The first time we played Jaipur, I only found it okay. Didn't really impress me. However, the more I play it, the more I like it. The first time or two we played, we were more worried about set collection for ourselves and getting the bonus tiles for selling more goods. Now, we see the importance of hand management, trading with the camels, avoiding taking a market full of camels and giving your opponent 5 new cards to pick from, selling a good before your opponent, and even selling just 1 good to pick up the higher valued token before the other player. Once you get into the game more, the decisions become more tense. At least this was our experience. Also had the same with Hey, That's My Fish! The first time we played it, we both thought "that's it?" But we played 3 or 4 games last night, really got into the strategy and found the game far more interesting than we originally thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small this agricola is not complicated at all... it is super super light. I play it with a lot of my non gaming friends.

Bohnanza

Famiglia

Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.