sir slayer
msg tools
Hey guys, we just started a campaign with conversion kit heroes and monsters.

Now it seems that the heroes just keep losing as the new monsters pose a too hard threat.

(4 player game)
Example castle darion second encounter on the stairs I put golems.
The red one having 10 hp (normal 8) with a black dice. They nicely blocked the heroes.
It took them quite some time to get trough only one, while other monsters came and closed more gaps so they couldn't advance much.
Also having only blue+yellow attacks (no hard hitter with blue/red) didn't help much.
when they finally got one down an elite ettin blocked a bit further down the road. While next round the golem respawned.

I think it might be the blue/yellow dice rolls, they just don't deal enough damage, as shadow dragons also pose a big problem with 2 defense dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are the hero players selecting their heroes? Are they cherry picking or is it random? If random, have them pick the heroes they want. The Conversion Kit adds a lot of really tough heroes, especially if you get ones that compliment each others' strengths.

Also, how far into the campaign are you? Once the heroes have good gear and one or two extra skills, the last quest of Act I the heroes tend to have the upper hand...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sir slayer
msg tools
It was early into the campaign.
Well we started with 4 random heroes per colour. (they took one color each)

Before castle darion they switched looking trough all heroes (of their own colour).
I'm not sure but I don't think they picked proper combos.

Mhhh, they were quite discouraged.
I think of just starting over again.

Edit: Asked them again, they definetly didn't look for proper combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sirslayer wrote:
castle darion second encounter

There's your problem right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sir slayer
msg tools
But they also lost cardinals plight.
I put kobolds in the entrance, since they had no explosion they had to take them off one by one.
When almost all of them where gone they realized ignoring the elite ones is best.

They didn't even open one of the doors :/

Or are these both just hard maps for the heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Puldon
United States
Miller Place
New York
flag msg tools
mb
If you make the heroes have to random for their pick then the OL should also random. Also, if you are the most experience player, which is probably true since I am assuming you are the owner due to you posting on bbg, then it is usually recommended for a newer/less experienced player to play OL. The reason is that OL is a lot more forgiving than bad hero/class/skill/item/move choices.

Take care,
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sir slayer
msg tools
Hero picking is sorted out now, let's see how it plays out then.

Oh and we always played together with the same 4 man group.
So everyone should have the same experience.
(I don't own the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that the Conversion Kit brings in more powerful monsters for the Overlord to use. It's also probably true that Castle Daerion on Cardinal's Plight are the two most difficult Act I Quests (some people argue that Masquerade Ball is more difficult than Cardinal's Plight). I think that since you combined those two things (perhaps unknowingly), you made it so that it does break the game a bit.

If you want a house rule that makes it a bit easier on the heroes, then force the Overlord to draw Open Group monsters rather than being able to choose from all of them. Some groups do draw-three-pick-one, respecting the Monster Traits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, the Conversion Kit also includes heroes whose powers and feats can help counter any number of nasty monsters and help deal with the Castle Daerion stoppage problem.

Zyla can just fly right over them. Truthseer Kel can get LOS through figures. Sahla can use his feat to copy Tumble from any Thief. Jonas the Kind can force monsters within three spaces to attack themselves. Nara the Fang can use her heroic feat to attack and move behind the enemy line. Landrec the Wise has his +5 wounds feat on two surges, which should be helpful against Golems (and a real Kobold killer with Blast if he can get LOS). Jaes has his Pierce 3 feat. Tomble's feat could open up some maneuvering room for the other heroes and get him behind the line on his second turn. Hugo the Glorious deals double damage with his heroic feat. Trenloe the Strong can negate the Golem's black defense die entirely with his feat. Karnon can instantly take out a minion Golem 5/6 of the time with his feat. And so on.

None of this helps if you aren't using any of these heroes in your campaign, but there are a lot of options in the kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.