Subject: Companions and the Political Track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david comerford
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Just a quick question that caused some dispute.

If a companion moves into a nation of its own nation, e.g Legolas moves into Lorien. Then he activates that nation, if he moves into another elf nation can he muster them one down on the political track. Or if the nation is already activated and a companion of its nation move into it's region does it get moved down the political track. And finally can a companion stay in a nation and every turn muster them one closer to war.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
The companion can activate the Nation as per the symbol on the Character Card (and, because I can never decipher the symbols, it's patently obvious, except that Strider can activate anybody (I think)).

The other "ability" is to use ANY die as a muster to move the Nation down the Political Track. I have never seen this ability used...

There is a Varient presented somewhere to modify these abilities to AUTOMATICALLY activate and advance a nation that gets a visit from a Companion, and to allow further advancing over time, free of charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Strider can only Activate the North Nation. Aragorn can Activate any Nation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes dice and/or cards to push the nations towards war. The companions only activate the nations w/o the help of the right cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Merry and Pippin can activate any nation as well.

Movement on the political track is done via dice or cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
bowman wrote:
The other "ability" is to use ANY die as a muster to move the Nation down the Political Track. I have never seen this ability used...

I have seen Boromir use it in Gondor and Legolas use it in Lorien. Basically, it lets you get a nation to war and still have enough musters leftover that same turn to get a good force there. Plus Sauron never expects it. I'd estimate it happens in 4% of my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Námo wrote:
Just a quick question that caused some dispute.

If a companion moves into a nation of its own nation, e.g Legolas moves into Lorien. Then he activates that nation, if he moves into another elf nation can he muster them one down on the political track. Or if the nation is already activated and a companion of its nation move into it's region does it get moved down the political track. And finally can a companion stay in a nation and every turn muster them one closer to war.

Thanks

no, once a nation is activated ("at war") it will stay at war untill the end of the game. it's enough you moved legolas to lorien and then get out the elves will still be at war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ok, i just finished answering you but then i saw people said othe things... i'm noob to the game so i'm not sure i said the right thing so actully it seems i have no idea laugh . wait, how doyou activate a nation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freezing chicken wrote:
ok, i just finished answering you but then i saw people said othe things... i'm noob to the game so i'm not sure i said the right thing so actully it seems i have no idea laugh . wait, how doyou activate a nation?

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay in Middle-Earth. May it be a long one, and may the hair on your toes never fall out!

Nations can be activated (flipping the political track marker to the active (colored) side) by one of four conditions:

1) An enemy Army moves into one of their regions
2) One of their Armies (no matter where it is) gets attacked (note that this will also advance that nation one space on the political track
3) The Fellowship is declared in one of their Cities or Strongholds (in other words, locations worth at least one victory point: Settlements don't count)
4) A Companion with the correct symbol on his card moves into one of their Cities or Strongholds.

The "correct symbol" for case 4 is either: a) the symbol of that nation, or b) the "Free Peoples" symbol (which combines a white tree and two horses' heads), found on the cards of Merry, Pippin, Gandalf the Grey, Gandalf the White, and Aragorn (but not Strider -- while he's Strider, he can only activate the North).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.