Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this thread I will share a bit about each of the tiles in Quarantine, and some of their in-game uses and maybe even a little design history. I won`t give away all the secrets of how they can be used and comboed with other tiles. That`s for you to find out over many plays.

I`ll add sets of two tiles over the coming weeks, so subscribe to this thread if you want to see them all.

Supply Room: Admitting patients is at the core of what your hospital will do. Without patients, you will not be able to earn the income to expand and win the game. So of course a tile that enhances this basic function was a must. When the supply room is connected to a treatment room, all rooms of that color in your hospital will be able to admit two patients of that color instead of the standard one. This can be very useful to get more patients in and out more quickly. It's also a great way to combat the problem of having multiple patients in a row of the same color in your wait line (a problem that your opponents may have helped to create).

When I first designed the Supply Room, it granted double occupancy to every treatment room in a hospital. Playtesting showed that this was simply too powerful, and I scaled back its power accordingly.

On Call Room:
Equally important to admitting patients into your hospital is curing them. Once cured, patient cubes are kept as currecy to be used for purchasing tiles to expand your hospital. If you have the On Call Room in your hospital (and it is not under quarantine of course), when you cure patients you may also cure all patients of the color of the treatment room that the On Call Room is connected to for no extra action cost. This can provide you with a lot of income quickly, that could be used to set one or even multiple tile contracts on that same turn.

Initially the On Call Room was called the Training Department. It allowed any two colors of patients to be cured for a single action. This too, was just a little too good. To mirror the Supply Room, and add the really interesting spatial element of requiring the On Call Room to be connected to the color of treatment room that you want to cure additional patients from was a great change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Designer`s Perspective on the Quarantine tiles
Stop writing and keep developing.

I'm looking forward to your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this!

Keep em coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Bjornis
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
"First of all you have to sort out the smooth running of the hospital. Having patients around would be no help at all." - sir Humphrey, Yes Minister
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Security:Setting contracts on tiles to add to your hospital is the best way to assure that you'll get the tiles you want... but through the price drafting mechanism, the other players have a chance to buy the tile at the price you set, before you do. If priced incorrectly, or if the tile is simply desired greatly by your opponents, you may not get it at all. The Security tile adds a little bit more comfort when openining a contract on a tile. If your opponents want to steal the tile from you, they will have to pay the price to you instead of discarding the cubes from the game. As always, you will also receive a free Bonus Action Marker if a contract is stolen from you. So this will make your opponents think much harder about stealing that tile you really wanted.

The Security tile initially had a completely different function. It prevented your opponents from adding patients to the back of your wait line (sort of like a hospital bouncer). That was at a time where there were much harsher penalties for having long wait lines at the end of the game. But that made the end-game much more swingy and gave rise to a few too many opportunities for kingmaking, so the wait line scoring became much less critical to your overall score.

Purchasing:
When you are opening a contract to acquire a tile, you must set the price in cubes (both their number, and their colors). Any opponent who wants to steal that tile from you must play that exact price, matching both the exact number and color of all the cubes. Pricing correctly is critical. You will want to set the price to something that your opponents cannot or do not want to pay, while still ensuring you are not overpaying. The color is very important as well. If you have an excess of blue cubes, but no other players currently have any, it's much more likely you'll be able to acquire the tile for, say, the great low price of 2 blue cubes. But not if they have the Purchasing tile.

The Purchasing tile allows a player to only need to match the number of cubes and not their color when buying a tile. This makes that player a powerful adversary. Your tile contracts are never as safe! If your opponent has a Purchasing Tile, you may want to especially consider acquiring the Security tile... if you can get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Bjornis
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
By 'security', you mean 'Tony Sopranos'...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Triage: Sometimes you'll find a patient at the front of your line that you can't admit. Maybe the appropriate treatment room is full or maybe it's under quarantine. Maybe you have 4 green patients in a row in your wait line, and only one green treatment room. In these cases what you may want to do is take the basic action to Move Patients. For one action point you may take a patient from anywhere in your wait line and move it to anywhere else in your wait line.

The Triage special tile makes this a lot better. If it's in your hospital and unquarantined, for one action you may rearrange your entire wait line. This can allow you to set up a much more efficient turm, and perhaps the next turn as well.

You'll notice that this tile (and every other one before it) has a little white disk and the name of a basic action under the name of the tile. This is to help players remember that the tile enhances the function of one of the 8 basic actions. As we'll see as we go further on, some tiles provide a new action, and some don't require an action at all.

Cafeteria: One of the basic actions in Quarantine is to take a Bonus Action Marker from the supply instead of taking a regular action. Sometimes you might not need your full four actions, so by banking an action you are both not wasting an action this turn, and setting yourself up for a big move in the future. What the cafeteria does is allow you to receive a free Bonus Action Marker on every turn if the cafeteria is not under quarantine at the beginning of your turn.

The cafeteria is one of the first tiles I designed. It always was obvious to have a tile granting an extra action, and it was equally obvious that hospital workers should be able to take a meal break and return recharged for a long shift. The only hing that has changed is the requirement that it must be unquarantined at the beginning of a player's turn in order to function.

We debated whether or not this tile could be considered to be an enhancement of the Take a Bonus Action Marker basic action or not, but since the Cafeteria does not require an action to use, it is presented without the white disk icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to this game! Thanks for these designer updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Lab:Whenever a player draws a gray cube (a patient infected with graysles) they are usually going to want to put it in somebody else's hospital. Each gray cube placed in a hospital must be placed on a tile adjacent to one of the existing gray cubes in that hospital. This is how the infection spreads. Each tile with a gray cube is under quarantine, and cannot be used for any purpose. That's where the Decontaminate action comes in. A player may spend one action point to remove any one infected gray patient from their hospital - restoring the function of that tile. The gray cube is placed back in the stock.

The Lab tile makes this basic action even better. With it every gray cube can be kept in a player's personal supply. Every two gray cubes can be used in place of one regular cube (of any color) for purchasing tiles or scoring points. This can be a great way to purchase tile contracts that you don't have the right colors for. It's also potentially a source of some extra points. And importantly, it might make your opponents hesitate to choose you to infect. This could be a very valuable side effect of the Lab tile.

This was one of my design goals for Quarantine: to have each tile not only provide a benefit for the player who owns it, but also change the ways that other players will consider and respond to that player. Sometimes this second layer is subtle, but in the case of the Lab it's easier to see.

Maintenance:The Renovate basic action is a very important one. It allows a player to add, remove, or rearrange up to two tiles in their hospital. I haven't mentioned them yet, but you'll notice that every tile (so far) has only 1 doorway. This means that wherever those tiles are added, further expansion is cut off since there are not extra doorways to add more tiles onto. Players need to be considered the number and position of the open doorways in their hospitals. Depending on the mix of tiles that are in a particular game, this could be more or less important - just another aspect that players will need to learn to gauge.

Sometimes you'll really want to acquire a tile, even though you currently have no doorway to attach it to. And some tiles require specific spatial relationships to work together correctly, so rearranging tiles may become necessary. Also, the Nurses Stations that provide end-game points (for every 2x2 square of tiles in your hospital) may also require that you rearrange your hospital a little.

Alhambra is a good game, but I always disliked the cumbersome nature of adding and removing tiles. In Quarantine I set out to make tile rearrangement more fun. But I couldn't make it too good! Each renovation can only affect up to two tiles (aside from any tiles that are already beside your hospital, but that's another interesting asepct that I'll let players discover for themselves). So that's where the Maintenance tile comes in. It allows you to rearrange up to four tiles. Furthermore, it removes the action cost for doing so. A player with the Maintenance tile can do it once per turn for free. This makes possible an interesting style of play that the other players will not be able to duplicate, and importantly could set you up to score big with Nurses Stations, without suffering the negative effects of building densely too quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the special room tiles, I'm guessing that the lab will be a particularly useful one.

It may deter other players from quarantining you, AND your special tile purchasing power gets a boost from the "wildcard" aspect of the gray cubes...

definitely want to set a high price on this one, I expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is some amazing stuff.

After assuring the wife that my latest game binge was over, I stumbled across the BBG News article concerning Quarantine this morning. My curiosity piqued, I sought out a couple of more bits of information and was immediately sold.

Preorder away!

Considering that she just got accepted for an ICU RN position at a well regarded local hospital (pardon, my pride is showing), I just had to get this game for my wife.

Having said that, I have a question for Mr. Klassen.

When I explain the purchase and the wife gives me the raised eyebrow into a scolding toe-tapping pose in return, can I just blame you? It might do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks like a lot of fun. I'm very excited to play it.

As a radiologist, though, I was disappointed that there is no "imaging center/xray department." That's key part of most hospitals here in the states....Maybe an expansion tile idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DBoonsGhost wrote:
Considering that she just got accepted for an ICU RN position at a well regarded local hospital (pardon, my pride is showing), I just had to get this game for my wife.

Having said that, I have a question for Mr. Klassen.

When I explain the purchase and the wife gives me the raised eyebrow into a scolding toe-tapping pose in return, can I just blame you? It might do the trick.

Yes, you have permission to blame me. In fact everyone has permission to buy this game, and then blame me for designing such an awesome game if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:
As a radiologist, though, I was disappointed that there is no "imaging center/xray department." That's key part of most hospitals here in the states....Maybe an expansion tile idea?

I had considered a Medical Imaging tile at various times, as well as a bunch of other specific wards. However, for the initial release I steered away from attempting to deal with specific afflictions for the patients. The reason is that it was one of my goals to really keep the game lighthearted and fun, and not to shift the focus onto real life negative health issues.

That said, I have playtested some of these additional tiles, and it's very possible to see them in a future expansion. The Imaging tile is one that I have already put quite a bit of thought into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To my mind, the idea just BEGS for a fan-made Theme Hospital variant!

An expansion might potentially take inspiration from that title and possible comedic ailments...? Would seem like a good evolution of the core gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
mpappy wrote:

I had considered a Medical Imaging tile at various times, as well as a bunch of other specific wards. However, for the initial release I steered away from attempting to deal with specific afflictions for the patients. The reason is that it was one of my goals to really keep the game lighthearted and fun, and not to shift the focus onto real life negative health issues.

That said, I have playtested some of these additional tiles, and it's very possible to see them in a future expansion. The Imaging tile is one that I have already put quite a bit of thought into.

Very cool. Thanks for your posts. Can't wait for the release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clockpunk wrote:

An expansion might potentially take inspiration from that title and possible comedic ailments...? Would seem like a good evolution of the core gameplay.

Cool idea. Another reason that the diseases aren't given real names in Quarantine is exactly this reason: it lets the players come up with funny ideas of their own. The rulebook hints at this a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
Clockpunk wrote:

Cool idea. Another reason that the diseases aren't given real names in Quarantine is exactly this reason: it lets the players come up with funny ideas of their own. The rulebook hints at this a little.

Thinking of the gameplay of the old Bullfrog title, which could feature shared (to varying degrees of success, perhaps reflected in different amounts saved of different colour types - e.g. two reds, one yellow, OR one green over two turns) might make for a really weighty expansion.

Of course... one would have to work in the rat shoot minigame, somehow...

But I digress, very interesting blog posts, thank you - always enjoy reading about the history and development of a game.

Really hammers home how much I think I shall enjoy Quarantine. Which I will pick up when (and only When) we in the UK can also acquire the promotional preorder addon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gift Shop: The Gift Shop allows a player, for one action, to take any cube from the box and add it to their personal supply. From there, it may be used as normal for acquiring tiles or points. The gift shop can be a powerful force in terms of matching the price that your opponents have set for specific tiles. Often players will try to set prices that are low, but hard to match because of the colors chosen. With the Gift Shop you can quickly get the needed colors and steal those contracted tiles.

You are only able to take cubes from the box, that have already been used to purchase tiles and were discarded from the game. Thus at the very beginning of the game, the color you want may not yet be available, but as the game progresses, it's much more unlikely to not be able to get the color you need. It can also be a powerful force in terms of simply racking up cubes to keep as points. This can be a hotly contested tile, and you must be wary of frequent quarantining!

Previous tiles I've discussed that enhance a basic action show a white action disc icon (and the name of the basic action being enhanced). The Gift Shop is a tile that grants a new action to only those who possess it. For this reason the icon is a little different, showing the white action disk with a green arrow. It was my goal create good iconography to help players asses their options quickly, and to reduce language dependance. This particular one was reached in discussion with the publisher.

Pharmacy: The Pharmacy is similar to the Gift Shop in that for one action you will be adding a cube to your personal supply. However, the cube you acquire must be the first one in your wait line. This means you can't choose the color you want (like the Gift Shop) but it also means that you can remove a patient who is clogging up your wait line! Effectively you are curing the patient with some medication instead of requiring that the patient goes through the regular curing channels.

Originally I allowed the Pharmacy to cure a patient anywhere in your wait line. This proved to be just a little too good though after much testing, and a fellow designer suggested restricting it to the first in line only. A great idea, and one that scaled its power down appropriately.

Both the Pharmacy and the Gift Shop have two doorways. This means that adding them to your hospital won't necessarily decrease the number of open doorways you have remaining to attach more tiles to. But it doesn't yet mean that you are increasing your capacity to add more tiles. This is one of my favourite parts of Quarantine - players have to consider many things beyond simply the function of each tile. Balancing all these elements was challenging, but hopefully players will find those efforts rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
DBoonsGhost wrote:

Yes, you have permission to blame me. In fact everyone has permission to buy this game, and then blame me for designing such an awesome game if necessary.

Blamed you weeks and weeks ago.

And yes, it is necessary. whistledevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pathology: For one action, a player may use the power of the Pathology tile to decontaminate up to four tiles in a 2x2 configuration. The use for this is obvious - a player may quickly regain control over sections of their hospital that are under quarantine. Of course, the Pathology tile itself may become a quick target, but even then it can be very efficient to decontaminate it and then use its power to decontaminate several other tiles.

Player interaction was very important to me while designing Quarantine. I was not content to allow players to simply build their own hospitals in their own little worlds, with no way to affect their opponents. This is one of the reasons why the quarantining mechanic exists. By allowing players to throw a small wrench into your plans, the shape and function of your hopsital becomes even more important and there is some healthly competition with your fellow players. But I also made sure to inject several mitigating factors into the mix. The Pathology tile is one example. Players can slow you down by quarantining your tiles, but with the Pathology tile it's fairly easy to get back to full power.

Containment: I've heard from a few playtesters that the Containment room is underpowered. shake The Containment tile does at the very first glance, appear to not do much. It's power is that it simply cannot be quarantined. This in itself, is indeed useless. However, the effect that this can have on your hospital is incredible. If you set up your hospital correctly, the Containment tile gives you the opportunity to isolate tiles that cannot be touched by the quarantined area of your hospital! Or if they are quarantined, it means the rest of your hospital is completely safe. This can be very powerful.

This is one of the ways that the spatial arrangement of tiles is a big part of Quarantine. From the beginning of this design, my hope was not simply that players would be adding abilities to their repertoire, but that their spatial relationship with each other would be critical as well. The doorways, Nurses Stations, and quarantining mechanics all support this. It was a lot of fun to design tiles with abilities that require this as well.

The Containment tile that now exists is exactly the same as when the idea first came to my mind, with the exception that it now has three doorways instead of four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read about the containment tile I was also confused about how it could be effective. Now I am curious to see if you could design your hospital in such a way that if you were to put a Graysle in the right spot in your own hospital behind the containment tile, you would never have to deal with infection again...

I wish it were April already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
When I first read about the containment tile I was also confused about how it could be effective. Now I am curious to see if you could design your hospital in such a way that if you were to put a Graysle in the right spot in your own hospital behind the containment tile, you would never have to deal with infection again...

That is indeed one particularly clever possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
bradandmary wrote:

That is indeed one particularly clever possibility.

Wow, that is an interesting idea.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Which I have secretly noted to try in my next playing of Quarantine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Emergency Room: As I mentioned in my Designer Diary for Quarantine, integration between the theme and mechanisms was very important to me. Sometime I had a great idea for a tile's function, and then found the perfect thematic assignment for it. But in some cases, like the Emergency Room, I started with the theme. Every hospital MUST have an ER after all. But after designing most of the other tiles I still hadn't found one that fit. But soon the solution became pretty obvious:

Whenever a patient arrives at the back of your wait line, you may choose to immediately admit it to the Emergency Room, for no action cost. However, no patient may be admitted into the ER during a regular Admit action. This made perfect thematic sense to me. The patients who needed critical attention can bypass the entire wait line and get into the hospital right away. It's also interesting that you could actually use this ability when it's not your turn (when the other players add patients to the back of your wait line on their turn). The patient in the ER is cured along with any other cubes of the same color when you are using the Cure Patients action.

Intially I wondered if the capacity of the ER should be two patients, but this proved to be just a little too good. But the fact that any color of patient could be admitted, but only under certain circumstances made the tile just right. A related tile I once had was the Operating Room, which acted like a treatment room that could admit any color of patient, but this was way too good (A differently functioning OR may just appear in an expansion).

Helipad: The Helipad is quite an interesing tile. It allows you to ignore the doorways on tiles when adding or moving tiles in your hospital. While the Helipad is not quarantined, you can add new tiles that don't connect to other tiles, though of course still following the other placement rules. The value of the Helipad fluctuates depending on the mix of tiles in the current game. If there are many tiles with only 1 doorway, it becomes more valuable. This is because every hospital only starts with four open doorways. If you connect a single doorway tile to each of those, your hospital cannot expand without renovation. The Helipad will help get around this. Thematically, this represents the additional method for access to a hospital; the front door is not required!

Of course the Helipad is always valuable because it can make the Nurses Stations very easy to complete. This can be a powerful force, especially if a player managers to get both the Helipad and the Maintenance tiles.

Players must also be way of the Helipad's ability though. When it is under quarantine, all new additions to your hospital must follow every placement rule. This means that not only must they connect to an open doorway on an existing tile, but connect back to the lobby through a series of doorways. Use the Helipad's ability too much and you may find yourself needing to unquarantine it every turn in order to add new tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.