Subject: Hugo's Tape rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking into buying some Hugo's tape and was all set to buy it but then came across some old threads saying it can take the print off the cards. Does anyone use the tape and what are your thoughts on it to hold cards together.

I thought about getting around the issue (if it is a issue) on the potential card damage by using some bits of cardboard or blank cards on the top and bottom of the deck. Lastly what width to people tend to recommend to get (was thinking about the 1").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the subject a bit, but these work very well.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/906593/diy-clear-deck-bo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Hugo's for cards and never had any problem. I have the 1" (in purple) because it was on clearance. In the future I would probably go with narrower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used Hugo's Amazing Tape, to hold game cards together, for several years and have never noticed it taking the print off cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
We use Hugo's for cards, and for holding boxes shut. Never any problems at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a lot of Hugo's tape. We like the 1" because it is easy to put together and it stays together. We have had no problems, but I also heard stories about print coming off cards. After reading further, it seems the problem occurred with cards that did not have a good print or finish on them. So, in some games with cards that have a more paper-like feel and less finish, we just bag the cards. Just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
ejclason wrote:
I have used Hugo's Amazing Tape, to hold game cards together, for several years and have never noticed it taking the print off cards.

I have never had it take print off anything printed commercially, but it has lifted color from some PnP stuff (color laser printed, IIRC).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers all for the replies. Think I will get some but use some old cards at the top and bottom of the decks just in case as im planning on using it on all my games.

Now does anyone know where to buy it in the UK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received some games in trades that had Hugo's Tape (I believe) and seen some discoloration because of it. Nothing horrible, but I always remove it ASAP and throw it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drittz wrote:
Cheers all for the replies. Think I will get some but use some old cards at the top and bottom of the decks just in case as im planning on using it on all my games.

Now does anyone know where to buy it in the UK?

Boardgameextras have it: http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/index.php?cat=274&category=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never heard of this stuff before. Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
The damage to the cards depends upon the printing process, the environment the cards are left in, and how long they are left strapped. I have had a few decks of cards receive damage due to Hugo's (Artscow cards and Jungle Speed come to mind immediately). I think it has to due more with if a card has the protective coating or not as to how soon the damage will occur. I still use the tape (1" for card decks and internal components and 2" for the boxes themselves).

As previously mentioned, I also consider card sized end caps of blank card stock an acceptable solution to the concerns and have been doing this myself, moving forward.

If you are looking for A LOT of the tape (20 rolls or more) because you have a large collection that you wish to secure (like mine), contact them directly by e-mail and ask for a bulk quote, listing the quantities, colors and sizes that you are looking for. They may take longer to get back to you and ship, but the savings can be considerable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drittz wrote:
I was looking into buying some Hugo's tape and was all set to buy it but then came across some old threads saying it can take the print off the cards. Does anyone use the tape and what are your thoughts on it to hold cards together.

There's no problem if you sleeve your cards. If you don't, you might want to check these lists for your game before using it:
Hugo's Amazing Tape Public Service Announcement
The Comprehensive List of Games Safely Tested with Hugo's Amazing Tape

Drittz wrote:
I thought about getting around the issue (if it is a issue) on the potential card damage by using some bits of cardboard or blank cards on the top and bottom of the deck. Lastly what width to people tend to recommend to get (was thinking about the 1").

I like the 1".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Khedron wrote:

There's no problem if you sleeve your cards.

Well, I have had some sleeves ruined by Hugo's tape, (they got all warped where the tape was in contact with the sleeve for a few months) but other than needing to sort through a bunch of sleeves so as to not accidentally end up playing with marked cards, it wasn't actually a problem since sleeves are there to get ruined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Edward Locke
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Half inch is too small, except for "hobbit cards", and the 2-inch is too big.

Get the one inch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you reinforce it along the edges with self-adhesive tape--taking care to apply the tape loosely else the cards will not slip in or out when opened--then the cellophane packaging cards come in can hold cards perfectly well. Doing this or not I store most cards, sleeved or otherwise, in ziplock bags and they're still safe and sound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.