GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Doom: The Boardgame» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Spawning for Invader Figures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Inferno Echelon
msg tools
I am trying to make up a custom spawn system for a mod that requires rapid invader spawning and I would like feedback/suggestions for the following concept:
The invader rolls two die and checks a reference grid to see what invader figure corresponds to the result. He then places that figure. As a further possibility the invader can roll a die (the color of the die depending on the figure) to determine the quantity of a invader figure that the invader gets. A invader may discard a card from their hand in order to reroll any die used in the spawning, but the second result must be expected. The invader may spawn figures this way twice per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With that much spawning, you'll want to do something about the invadder's cards (like only draw one per turn instaed of 2), and also the ammo. Marines will be blowing through ammo like crazy. Maybe have both Never Ending Pistols (no ammo used with pistols) and Fully Loaded (weapons come with 1 ammo).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inferno Echelon
msg tools
Ah yes, I forgot about how card drawing would work with my system. I think that the invader should perhaps discard one card from his hand per custom spawn, up to a maximum of two custom spawns per turn? As for the ammo, I have Never-Ending Pistols and Fully Loaded implemented already, but thanks. I also have rooms in the mod's scenarios where marines may restock ammo up to a maximum amount per ammo type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the cards, I was assuming with this new spawning system you would remove all the spawn cards from the deck. With that in mind, you would probably not allow the invader to draw 2 cards per turn, since about half the deck used to be spawn cards, and so if they are no longer drawing spawn cards, that would give the invader some serious power to unleash on the marines. So limit that to just 1 draw card.

So if you remove the spawn cards, and limited to just 1 card per turn, you wouldn't need to discard a card to invoke the "custom spawn".

As for spawning in general, rolling to see what invader is spawned, then rolling again for the amount spawned (which I think should be tailored per invader type, for example, you could spawn a few Trites but rarely spawn more than one Hell Knight) seems okay. Having this whole system happen twice per turn seems a bit much. If you want to allow it twice per turn, I would just say that the die roll indicates the invader spawned, and only one figure is spawned. Then the second spawn is another roll and only one is spawned as well. This would make it every turn 2 invaders are spawned (in addition to the invaders on the map from revealed areas). That could become rather hectic...

The main difference though between this system and the current card system is that the randomness of the dice rolls won't guarantee the invader spawns. For example, there will only be a maximum of 1 Hell Knight spawned per invader deck in the current system (and with the Scatter rules, there's a chance that it won't even come up), but under a dice-rolling system, there could be 2 Hell Knights every turn!

As long as you're aware of how the different random systems work and prefer the more dangerous one (for the marines at least), give it a whirl

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inferno Echelon
msg tools
I see what you mean. I planned to tailor the dice rolled for each invader so that the only weak invaders can get spawned in larger numbers. The reason that 2 cards were meant to be drawn per turn is that in this mod one condition of the invader's loss is having no cards in his deck, therefore the game lasts 33 turns at most. The spawn cards will still be used I think but the invader would prefer to sacrifice the spawn card to use the custom spawn system.
I do want for the invaders to spawn in dangerous numbers, which isn't happening with the normal cards. So I will go with the dangerous spawn system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.