Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seen this game a while back and thought it looked pretty fun,but I dont play with a group other than my family of four and two of them are 9 and 12. Well I got a coupon that expires at the end of this month and went up to the store and not many games caught my eye,But they did have Shadows Over Camelot.
So I was wondering in my situation would this be a good game for the family? Im wondering first off is it real rules heavy and can it be easily taught to be the traitor so the kids will know what to do if that comes up? Play decent with 4 players? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, especially with kids, you can just remove the traitor.. it'll be like a mini expansion later on when you think they can handle it.

The rules aren't that heavy at all. You can only do one thing evil thing per turn, and one herioc thing.

3 evil options
Card
Hit
Catapult

Herioc options will be
play card at current location
go home (if away)
pick up cards (if in camelot)
travel (if in camelot)

that's the gist of it.. the complication is in choosing your fights to get the most benefit, but with a co-op, a friendly piece of advice is easy to give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have successfully played this game with kids for years! We've played with kids as young as 7. It's very simple:

1) Keep a traitor in the game, just make sure the kid(s) don't become the traitor.

2) When the kids draw a black card, ask them if it has numbers or letters (in other words, is it a Black knight/Dragon card or other). If it has numbers, tell them to choose to show it unless they need more cards in hands. Otherwise, they have to show the card.

3). Encourage them to ask questions about white cards. So what if the traitor benefits: you have a small kid playing the game with you! Think of it as an investment in your gaming future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for playing with kids. My kids love it. They have played it for a while and it is my 11 year old's favorite game (at the moment). I would play the first 4 games or so without the traitor, and then go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Shields are offline.
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids (12 & 14) like it. We played without a traitor many times, and whenever we have a new player join the group.

It's easily manageable for a 9 year old.

It has the unique advantage of letting players who die rejoin the game as a new knight. Very heroic.

The fun part is trying to adhere to the rule that you can't talk specifically about your cards but you have to try to talk like a knight. Somehow we always lapse into pirate speak.

"Verily, I shall join you on yonder quest to vanquish the skallywag Normans, gaaarrrrr!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.