Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Marvel Legendary: Infinite Loop. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Neff
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Is it possible to create an infinite loop, such as with Wolverine continuing to draw cards, or Black Widow and Spiderman continuing to draw the deck out?

Does my turn end when I can no longer draw cards from my deck and I have no discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frogman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imadjinn wrote:
Is it possible to create an infinite loop, such as with Wolverine continuing to draw cards, or Black Widow and Spiderman continuing to draw the deck out?

Does my turn end when I can no longer draw cards from my deck and I have no discard pile?

Once your deck runs out you may shuffle your discard pile and use that. Once that runs out you are out of options as the cards you have laid out are in play and not discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards you play during the current turn aren't discarded until the end of the turn, so you'll eventually run out of cards to play. However, your turn doesn't necessarily end there, as you're still able to use your attack and recruit points, but you won't be able to draw any more cards if your deck and discard pile are empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but you can buy new cards during your turn and keep placing them in your discard pile, drawing them and playing them. However, eventually the hero deck would run out, but it would be quite impressive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't see how that is possible Christian... you don't purchase cards until you have played your hand...ie... you don't play 2 cards then buy a card, play 2 more cards buy a card... you play you whole hand then purchase and attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Englehart
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the rules say you can purchase/fight anytime during your turn.

Note the effects of Villains like the Enchantress -- Fight: Draw 3 cards. Those cards you draw can still be played, along with other cards from your hand, and other Villains fought or Heroes purchased after fighting her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you can buy/fight without playing your whole hand. However it would be VERY difficult to create a turn that christian mentions. i have come close at the end of a game to get this, but usually I am able to beat the final mastermind so I just do that since buying heroes doesn't give victory points.
As far as infinite loops, they don't exist in this game (as far as I can tell). In the DC game there are a couple but they aren't really infinite since you just stop doing them b/c they dont actually give any benefits, you are just being a douche by revealing the same card over and over, so a similar situation might occur in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbabel wrote:
yes you can buy/fight without playing your whole hand. However it would be VERY difficult to create a turn that christian mentions. i have come close at the end of a game to get this, but usually I am able to beat the final mastermind so I just do that since buying heroes doesn't give victory points.
As far as infinite loops, they don't exist in this game (as far as I can tell). In the DC game there are a couple but they aren't really infinite since you just stop doing them b/c they dont actually give any benefits, you are just being a douche by revealing the same card over and over, so a similar situation might occur in this game.

A friend of mine recently coined a term for this. He called it "douchbaggery"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
No, there aren't any infinite loops because all resources in Legendary are finite just like in, let's say, Dominion.

No, your turn isn't over when you cant draw any cards any longer, but it prevents you from drawing cards though (obviously) which means that you can't play any new cards beside those you have in your hand.

Also, keep in mind that cards that you've played stays in play until the end of the turn unless something directly says otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are infinite loops in the game.

But, IIRC, you need Villains and Fear Itself (or maybe just Villains) to pull them off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
chalen43506 wrote:
Don't see how that is possible Christian... you don't purchase cards until you have played your hand...ie... you don't play 2 cards then buy a card, play 2 more cards buy a card... you play you whole hand then purchase and attack.

Errrrr... you absolutely do. Or at least you can. The Spiderman expansion, Paint The Town Red, is more or less based around this idea with mechanics like Wall Crawl and Feast.

If you don't have it, maybe take a look at Dark City - dig out Daredevil and take a look. His 3-cost 2-recruit "Backflip" is absolutely designed to encourage you to recruit a hero before then playing his other cards as you will already know how much the top card of your deck costs (because you just recruited it).

As a basic rule, as a player you have three separate actions you may take : play a card / recruit a card / fight an enemy; and can do so in ANY order and combination you like.

----

As for infinite loops: You need Villains. It's a Kingpin / New Recruit thing.

You need to get to a point where you:
a) have 3 or fewer cards in total in your deck & discard piles, and
b) have "Pull the Strings" (one of KP's commons) in your hand, and
c) have "Endless Underlings" (KP's rare) in your hand.

So tricky, but possible.

Play "Pull the Strings", put a New Recruit in your hand.

Play "Endless Underlings", put 3 New Recruits in your hand.

One by one, play three New Recruits - at worst you'll get the three cards left over in your discard/deck.
(If you had fewer than 3 cards in your deck, you will get a New Recruit already at this point because...)

Thanks to "Endless Underlings" triggering off "Pull the Strings", each of the New Recruits you've played goes to the bottom of your deck instead of to the NR stack.

So now, you have a deck comprised of ONLY 3 New Recruits.

So when you play the fourth New Recruit, you are definitely drawing a New Recruit - and putting the one you just played under your deck.

You're now locked into a loop where you:
Play a New Recruit
Get +1 Attack
Draw a card (another New Recruit)
Put the New Recruit you just played under your deck.

You can potentially be knocked out of the loop by other discard-a-card / recruit-a-card / gain-a-wound effects while fighting everything, but I wouldn't argue with someone who just said "can we just assume I have like, a billion attack now? And then I fight everything after?" It's basically game over.

----

As for the semi-infinite loops, it would be viable to recruit and draw a LOT of cards if you were clever about it - particularly something based on the various 2-cost Spiderman cards which draw each other as well as the various Wall Crawl setups and whatnot. The only issue is that very few cards give more recruit than they cost, so you'll struggle to fully empty the hero deck in a turn, which even then provides a hard limit (probably one high enough to win the game anyway, I should point out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be noted that this was a thread necro from over 3 years ago, before any expansion existed.

So no Daredevil's "Backflip," no PTTR Wall-Crawl, no Kingpin's "Endless Underlings."

Way back when the Base Set was the only content available for Legendary, yes you could do any combination of recruiting, attacking, and drawing additional cards in any order during your turn. But there weren't any cards I can think of that let you really cycle your deck other than some simple ones that let you draw cards.

So back then, while possible and perfectly legal, it didn't really make sense to do a combination of things in a specific strategic order. You may as well just play all of your cards that you can and draw as much as possible to build up a maximum amount of recruit and attack. That's obviously not the case now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Hah, somehow I didn't notice that it was such an old thread.

True that there's fewer plates to spin in "vanilla", but even with just the base game you can have situations such as:

a) drawing enough to shuffle through your discard pile - recruiting mid-turn might see you pick up some of your new recruits immediately;

b) fighting an enemy (e.g. Sabretooth) to gain a wound before playing Healing Factor or Unstoppable Hulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.