Gunship: First Strike!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 3 player struggle 2013-02-08 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The devastation caused by fighting over something so insignificant. A small outpost, fought over for generations by two warring factions, was the scene for a fierce battle. The faction holding the outpost had been stretch thin. Only one carrier had been left to defend it. Seizing the opportunity the rival faction sent in a carrier to take control of the outpost. Little did either faction know that a third faction was waiting for the battle to finish to clean up and take control themselves, waiting in hyperspace to pounce. Only there was a miscalculation. Instead of arriving after the battle they arrived just before any shots were fired. It was going to be a 3 way slug fest.

Player 1 (Green): Upgrades: Ion Bombs, Homing Missile and Advanced Power Generator.

Player 2 (Red): Ion Battery, Heavy Armour and Defense Turret.

Player 3 (Blue): Homing Missile, Heavy Defense Canons and Enhanced Shield Generators.

Notes: The rules do not say that you have to place your one shot X-weapons of your Gunship at the start so it was decided that they could be placed on your Gunship whilst it is aboard the carrier. We also played initiative order, rather than clockwise

Poll
There can only be one winner. Given the above set up who do you think won?
Red
Green
Blue
      18 answers
Poll created by hzfreelancer

Round 1:
Green won initiative.
The green and red carriers shot at the blue carrier, both hit for 1, and the blue carrier shot at the red carrier, hitting for 1. The green fighters start a dogfight with the red fighters taking out three. And the Green GS attacks the blue GS with two blaster cannons and red with one. Red is forced to continue the dogfight and get a green fighter at the cost of one of their own. The Red GS fired a blaster cannon at blue GS using up a shield and an Ionized at the blue fighters only to miss but was able to raise one shield in the process. The blue fighters then turn around and strafe both the green and red GS getting one hit on both. The Blue GS returned fire at the green GS using two blaster cannons removing the last of the shields.

Red: Fighters lost: 4. Carrier status: 5 shields, 12 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 1. Carrier status: 6 shields, 12 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 0. Carrier status: 6 shields, 12 HP

Round 2:
Blue won initiative:
Blue fired at the red carrier scoring a hit. The red carrier fired its ion battery and hit the blue carrier, crippling it. The green carrier shot at the red also getting a hit. The blue fighters pulled back to the carrier of offer some sort of defense while the GS fired its homing missile at the red GS removing the two shields and giving two hull damage. To add insult to injury and in an attempt to save their carrier blue went after red’s thruster bombs with a blaster cannon but got the ion cannon instead. The blue GS the moved back to the carrier to help protect it. Free attack runs on a carrier was too much temptation for red to handle and the fighters followed the blue fighters for a dogfight, hitting one blue fighter at the cost of two. This opened the way for the red GS to do two attack runs on the blue carrier. The thruster bombs were away and the dice came up as
doing two damage and then back around to let a torpedo rip. Taking the red carrier down to 9 HP. Wondering where everyone went the green fighters pursued the blue and red GSs for some strafing runs hitting the left wing of the red GS, losing a fighter in the process from the defense turret, and missing the blue. After receiving the report from the green fighters the green GS made an attack run and fired a torpedo at the blue carrier and came around to fire a blaster cannon at the occupied blue fighters only to miss. The crew onboard managed to get a shield back up.

Red: Fighters lost: 6. Carrier status: 3 shields, 12 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 2. Carrier status: 6 shields, 12 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 1. Carrier status: 6 shields, 8 HP

Notes: Pretty sure we played the homing missile wrong. I was green and not involved but my under standing of the spirit of the rules is that the Homing Missile does four damage to a component, causing heavy damage and 2 damage to the hull. Meaning if there is shields the shields absorb what they can and then you roll for the damage location. If it hits and already damaged component then it causes that damage to become heavy and does three hits to the hull. If it hits a heavily damaged component it does four hull damage. Please correct me if I am wrong. I was out voted so we didn’t play it that way.

Round 3:
Blue won initiative. Followed by green.
The blue carrier was crippled and did not fire in the carrier phase. The green carrier fired at the red and got a hit and the red fired at the blue and got another hit taking its HP down to 7. The blue fighters moved to the centre zone to lie in wait for passing GSs and the blue GS shot 2 blaster cannons at the green GS taking removing the fresh shield and hitting the torpedo launcher with critical damage, removing the armour and leaving the torpedo launcher lightly damaged and unfunctional. The blue GS fired its ion cannon at the red fighters only to miss on its way to dock in the carrier. With no chance of making an attack run, the green fighters engage the blue fighter in a dogfight in the centre zone with a roll of
hitting three but losing two to a roll of
. The green GS fired three blaster cannons at the red fighters and rolled
to get take one out on the way out the blue carrier zone. The green GS then moved to its own carrier to stock up on some much needed bombs. The red fighters moved across space to the green GS for a strafing run but missed on the roll of
and then went back to the blue carrier to wait for the blue GS. The red GS then went on an attack run against the blue carrier. With the Heavy Defense Cannons working once more the roll ended up in 5 hits to the GS, causing heavy damage to the ion cannon, light damage to the blaster cannon, the loss of one armour from the power generator and right wing, and light damage to the right wing. Battered but still with a working torpedo launcher the red GS delivered its sting and then ran away back to its own carrier.

Red: Fighters lost: 7. Carrier status: 2 shields, 12 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 4. Carrier status: 6 shields, 12 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 4. Carrier status: 5 shields, 7 HP

Round 4:
Green wins initiative, followed by red.
The green carrier fired at the red carrier getting a hit. Both the blue and red carriers shot at green doing a total of 3 damage. The green fighters strafed the red GS scoring a hit and blowing off the left wing but suffering a loss from the defense turret. They then went back for another tussle with the blue fighters, killing none but losing three. In a desperate act of vengeance the green GS took a long range pot shot at the blue fighters and missed then docked and repaired its torpedo launcher. The red fighters stayed around to mock the blue carrier and the red GS docked and fixed its right wing and removed the ion cannon. The blue fighters, thirsty for more blood continued the dogfight with the green fighters and took out yet another fighter at the cost of one of their own. The blue GS got some TBombs and two shields.

Red: Fighters lost: 7. Carrier status: 1 shields, 12 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 9. Carrier status: 3 shields, 12 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 5. Carrier status: 5 shields, 7 HP

Round 5:
Red wins initiative, followed by green.
The red carrier hit the green carrier for 1. The green carrier shot back for 1. The blue carrier shot at the green carrier and took away 1 shield. The red fighters stay put and the red GS gets it blaster cannon repaired and 2 new shields. The green fighters retreat to the green carrier and the green GS removes the two blaster cannons from its wings and grabs some Ion Bombs. The blue fighters follow the green and take out another two at the cost of one. The blue GS gets a shield and an armour for the torpedo launcher and jumps back into the fray, only to be half heartedly shot at by the bored red fighters (who miss).

Red: Fighters lost: 7. Carrier status: 0 shields, 12 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 11. Carrier status: 1 shield, 12 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 6. Carrier status: 5 shields, 7 HP

Round 6:
Green won initiative, followed by blue.
The green and red carriers fired at the blue getting two hits total. The blue carrier missed the green. The solo green fighter goes in for a last ditch effort and engages the blue fighters only to miss. The green GS gained 2 shields and some shiny new TBombs. The blue fighters put the last green fighter out of his misery. The blue GS fired its two blaster cannons and ion cannon at the fighters playing two bullseye cards for two auto hits and a roll that missed and then moved on to the red carrier. The red fighters, feeling a little down, strafed the blue GS, missing and then went to hang out in the centre zone. The red GS got some TBombs and 2 armour.

Red: Fighters lost: 9. Carrier status: 0 shields, 12 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 1 shield, 12 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 6. Carrier status: 3 shields, 7 HP

Round 7:
Green won initiative, followed by blue.
The green carrier lined up the red carrier and missed. The blue and red carriers shot at the green carrier and hit for a total of 3. The green GS charged its last shield, armoured it torpedo launcher and launched only to be strafed by the blue fighters, which missed. The blue fighters went after the last of the red fighters in the centre zone and took one down. Meanwhile the blue GS made an attack run on the red carrier. The carrier smashed the GS with 7 hits, taking away 2 shields and the armour from the engines, causing light damage to both weapon pods and blowing off a wing. Thruster bombs were away with a roll of
and a few curses. The blue GS came around for a second pass and was smacked with another four hits, removing the remaining armour, lightly damaging the shield generator and heavily damaging the right weapon pod. Torpedo away, the blue GS made for the centre zone, where the red fighters continued the dogfight, which was uneventful. The red GS got a new left wing.

Red: Fighters lost: 10. Carrier status: 0 shields, 11 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 0 shields, 10 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 6. Carrier status: 3 shields, 7 HP

Round 8:
Red won initiative, followed by green.
The red carrier attacked the blue carrier doing 1 point of damage. The green carrier fired at the red dealing 1 damage. The blue carrier attacked the green landing two points and damage and more cursing. The red fighters held down the blue fighters with neither able to land a hit. The red GS loaded more TBombs, charged its last shield and launched. The green GS passed through the center zone unnoticed by the preoccupied fighters and into the blue carrier zone. The first attack run was underway and the blue carrier rolled twice for a total of 6 hits taking down all 3 shields, heavily damaging the right weapons pod and melting the armour on the torpedo launcher. Despite the onslaught the green GS dropped a package of ion bombs and came around for another go with the thruster bombs and rolled
for three hits. The blue fighters, diligent as ever, strafed the green GS scoring a hit on the lightly damaged shield generator and then went back to the centre zone to pick off a few red fighters, unsuccessfully. The blue GS moved back to its carrier and docked, repairing its shield generator after docking.

Red: Fighters lost: 10. Carrier status: 0 shields, 10 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 0 shields, 8 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 6. Carrier status: 2 shields, 4 HP

Round 9:
The red carrier attacks the blue carrier and hits once. The green carrier shot at the red and hit again. The blue carrier was hits by Ion Bombs the turn before and did not fire. The red fighters took on the blue again without either side loosing anything. The red GS made it way through the centre zone and went for the green carrier. The gunners were only warming up and rolled
. The second chance cards was played and three dice rerolled giving a final result of
and a few mutterings underbreath. Two shields down the red GS dropped one set of TBombs, one with a bullseye, and rolling another hit, dealing a total of two damage. Some quick work by the red GS engineers resulted in an extra shield. The green GS made its way back to its carrier and took a long range shot at the blue fighters only to miss. The blue fighters broke from the middle to strafe the green GS again and this time the scored a hit on the shield generator, blowing it to tiny pieces (Slagged). They moved again to the centre zone for more dogfighting that resulted in misses from both sides. The blue GS fully charged its shields.

Red: Fighters lost: 10. Carrier status: 0 shields, 9 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 0 shields, 6 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 6. Carrier status: 2 shields, 3 HP

Round 10:
The red carrier fired another round from the Ion Battery at the blue carrier, crippling it for the third time in the battle. The green and blue carriers both fired at red with only one hit. The red fighters occupied the blue fighters while the red GS zipped past and shot a torpedo at the blue carrier, slagging it for two damage total. The green GS landed and loaded the homing missile and bolted on two new pieces of armour, one for the homing missile and one for the torpedo launcher. The blue fighters continued their useless run by missing the red GS and then missing the red fighters. The blue GS loaded some TBombs, armoured his power generator and got out of his carrier faster then you can say “I don’t want my Gunship in my carrier when it blows up”.

Red: Fighters lost: 10. Carrier status: 0 shields, 8 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 0 shields, 6 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 6. Carrier status: 2 shields, 1 HP

Round 11:
Blue won initiative, followed by red.
Blue carrier, still crippled, did not fire. The red carrier hit the green for 1. The green fired back and hit the red for 1. The blue fighters strafed the red GS to no avail then turned around to continue the near pointless dogfight with the red fighters, rolling a
taking down the last two red fighters who went out shooting, taking down one blue fighter. The blue GS, with free reign, coasted over to the red carrier for an attack run. The red carrier rolled a hit, taking off a shield, and the TBombs landed like so
, for one damage. The red GS zipped across the middle being missed by the blue fighters and went for the green carrier. The green carrier’s captain fired the gunners as they rolled not a single hit. The TBombs were away with a roll of
dealing two damage. The green GS loaded more TBombs and launched.

Red: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 0 shields, 6 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 0 shields, 3 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 7. Carrier status: 2 shields, 1 HP

Round 12:
Red won initiative, followed by blue.
The red carrier fired at the blue dealing 2 damage. The blue and green carrier fired at the red but only got one hit between them. The red GS made an attack run on the green carrier suffering 3 hits removing the armour from the left weapon pod and the engines and causing light damage on the engines. The torpedo was away and it hit with a bullseye, dealing two damage. The blue fighters strafed the red and green GSs missing then red, which shot back and took one down, and hitting the green engines giving them light damage. They then went back to the centre zone lie in wait. The blue GS attacked the red carrier, which was having its own defense cannon woes missing entirely, and torpedoed it. The green GS limped to the centre zone only to be strafed by the blue fighters, which lightly damage the blaster cannon in the left weapon pod. With nothing else to do the green GS lets the homing missile fly at the red carrier, dealing one damage.

Red: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 0 shields, 3 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 0 shields, 1 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 8. Carrier status: 0 shields, 1 HP

Round 13:
Green won initiative, followed by red.
The green and blue carriers fired a desperate volley at the red both scoring hits taking the red carrier down to 1 health. The red carrier fired at the blue getting a hit and setting off a chain of explosions throughout the hull. The blue carrier was down. The green GS seeing the chance to settle things once and for all went for the red carrier, which rolled a
getting two hits, one on the engines and one on the left wing. Torpedo launcher still functional the green GS let fly and hit right in the middle of the red carrier causing it to split in half with much fire. The red carrier had seen it day. The red GS in a state of battle frenzy went for the kill against the green carrier. Defensive cannons fired and rolled
, which dealt 2 hull damage, lightly damaged the left wing and removed the armour from the right wing. The torpedo hit the engines and sent the carrier to the planet below, burning as it went. All three carriers lost.

Red: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 0 shields, 0 HP
Green: Fighters lost: 12. Carrier status: 0 shields, 0 HP
Blue: Fighters lost: 8. Carrier status: 0 shields, 0 HP

Conclusion:
We all had a blast. There are no winners in war but if you must find a winner, blue won with 5 points vs 8 points for both red and green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! I love the detail and time put into this. I also love the fact that no one won! That is the joy of Gunship!

One note, I think you missed one rule...

"Play always moves clockwise from the player who rolls the highest on the initiative die."

Not a big deal, just thought I'd let you know... I've made my share of rule mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jdlly wrote:
WOW! I love the detail and time put into this. I also love the fact that no one won! That is the joy of Gunship!

"Play always moves clockwise from the player who rolls the highest on the initiative die."

Not a big deal, just thought I'd let you know... I've made my share of rule mistakes.

Thanks .

We did not miss the rule, we just played a little differently to see how it would go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mehr
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Way to go! Awesome, very well done C East.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hzfreelancer wrote:
Jdlly wrote:

We did not miss the rule, we just played a little differently to see how it would go.

It is a viable way to play and seemed to work out great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, for the session report.

I was wondering with a 3-player game, if there were any potential issues with the game possibly becoming a 2 on 1, gang up situation for a significant part of the game and eliminating one player early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.