Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow Talismaners ... Talis-Men ... Talis ... er ... Talisman plays,

I'm in need of expansions. Yes, plural!

And yes, I've done my research and flicked through the very-many 'Which expansion is the bestest?' threads. I know I want Dungeon, Highlands, Reaper and Frostmarch. But my budget doesn't equal my enthusiasm for the game, and I need to whittle my options down to three of those four. But which?

I usually play in games of 4-6 players, and we definitely see Talisman in the 'beer and pretzels' ilk. It's pace suits a few beers after work on a Friday, even if we've incorporated a few houserules to speed it up a tad.

I like the idea of Reaper, as it brings a boat-load of new cards to the game. I used to play the original Talisman -- and I'm a D&D player -- so I have a fondness for the Dungeon expansion ... yet I read that it's a bit of a challenge, whereas Highlands adds more and alternate options for 'lower level' play, as it were. Lastly, I'm very intrigued by the alternate endings introduced to the game in Frostmarch, so I'm tempted by that expansion also.

But which three of these four ..?

Poll
Dungeons, Frostmarch, Highlands
Dungeons, Frostmarch, Reaper
Dungeons, Highlands, Reaper
Frostmarch, Highlands, Reaper
      48 answers
Poll created by DNAmers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Reaper, City, Dungeons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmn, I hadn't factored City into the equation, on account of it being a while before it's seen down here in New Zealand. International game orders with near-inhibitory freight charges notwithstanding, of course.

I'll definitely give it a look however. Mayhaps Dungeon, Reaper and Frostmarch for now ... expanding further to City in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Reaper and Dungeon for sure!!! I'll leave it up to the rest of the community to pick the 3rd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of every xpac except dragon. However, any poll answer that doesn't include Reaper is an automatic "no" in my humble opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group, the Highland expansion board just collects dust and sits forlornly in the corner ever since we got the Dungeon expansion. It's only good in the early game, it's a pain to get through, and the rewards for beating the Eagle King just aren't that great.

The Dungeon, on the other hand, is a challenge every step of the way, has a ton more "theme", and the rewards are better if you can make it to the end. Yes it's harder than Highlands, but it also stays relevant longer.

My two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with the kids and although the Reaper is well liked on BGG it is not appreciated as much at home. I think therefore the answer is it depends who you are playing the game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper, Frostmarch, Sacred Pool, & Blood Moon.

This costs about the same as 1 large box & 2 small box expansions and you get 4 expansions!!!

Ell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Aubert
France
TOULON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanamsilat wrote:

This costs about the same as 1 large box & 2 small box expansions and you get 4 expansions!!!

Ell.

and you can keep using your normal size table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muchu wrote:
talismanamsilat wrote:

Ell.

and you can keep using your normal size table

Very true indeed!!!

Ell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
and the rewards for beating the Eagle King just aren't that great.

I sort of agree and wonder if some kind of house rule might make him more worthwhile.

Something like: "The first time a player defeats him that player may add 1 to his strength or 1 to his craft."

Dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've houseruled that once the Eagle King is defeated, all of the vanquishing character's Gem Trinkets are immediately converted to their Gold value, and he gains 1 Quest Reward, along with the Relic.

Now, I suppose if you have the City, but are not playing with the expansion board, you could also allow the player to spend his accumulated Gold on random items from the new shop decks.

I don't have the City yet, but this seems like a cool idea if you want to incorporate this expansion in some way, when you're not playing with the City board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.