Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Stalingrad [+] [View All]
John
United States
Masspequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking around for a Stalingrad game. I like Streets of Stalingrad Third Edition and the 1979 Phoenix version, they look great however there is not much info in the forums and what there is ranges from terrific to unplayable.The Korsun Pocket ( I realize its not Stalingrad ) looks good but again not a lot to info to make a decision.

I prefer tactical but will play anything
I am ok with monsters - but will only be playing the scenarios
Will be playing solo

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Newcomer
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you like tactical, have you looked at the ATS stuff from Critical Hit, inc. I think they go have some products focused on Stalingrad. I have the Basic Game II set up on my table right now and it is called the "Streets of Stalingrad". Not a huge game, but, I'm sure there may be more options out there if you want to hit their website. Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for Stalingrad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two that I like:

Storm Over Stalingrad - Great little game covering the fight for the city.

Stalingrad Pocket II - Nice treatment of the campaign to cut off and destroy 6th Armee.

Both are generally available - I believe they are both in print at MMP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Turning Point: Stalingrad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill and Leo have mentioned some of the best ones, but I'll throw a non-conventional one in that I think is fun.

The Hell of Stalingrad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The entire Combat Commander: Europe series is a very good tactical system.

The Combat Commander: Battle Pack #2 – Stalingrad expansion has many exciting scenarios. Not sure how it would play solo, but it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Streets of Stalingrad is a great game, if you can get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

Seconded!!!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:
Bill and Leo have mentioned some of the best ones, but I'll throw a non-conventional one in that I think is fun.

The Hell of Stalingrad
Tons of excitement. But, whew, what's that smell? Oh yeah, the rulebook!

Nothing close to the traditional force-pushing hex-and-counter arguably historical fest I love, but prepare to fight in an unconventional way. Love this game, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Storm Over Stalingrad. It has about 6 pages of rules. Is quick and simple and uses the same clever area-impulse system as the classic Storm over Arnhem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression that you are a hard-core gamer not scared off by complexity/length of time to play games, even though you say you won't do the full monster campaigns but only scenarios.

Got it. And since you've already got the two best editions of STREETS OF STALINGRAD, we can safely assume you are interested in the urban fight more than anything else.

Excalibur's reissue of the older SPI game by John Hill, The Battle of Stalingrad, is a decent enough game. It might not be tactical enough for you, however. It's a bit quirky but quite good; takes a little getting used to given the unusual sequence of play.

My personal favorite, however, is the AH area-style wargame, Turning Point: Stalingrad. Of all the urban Stalingrad games I've played, that one does the best job putting both players into the psychological shoes of Chuikov and Paulus. That said, it covers only the first three weeks of the battle...but it's enough. The expansion allows the whole urban brawl up to the Soviet counteroffensive to be covered, but the last six weeks aren't nearly as interesting as the first three at this scale.

MMP's Storm Over Stalingrad is a simplified but quite exciting version of the older AH title, but I find myself going back to the older game.

I suspect you are not an Advanced Squad Leader system player; had you been, you would have already had Streets of Fire: ASL Deluxe Module 1, Red Barricades: ASL Historical Module 1 and Valor of the Guards: ASL Historical Module Number 7 to scratch your tactical Stalingrad gaming itches. While these are my favorite games, I hesitate to recommend them given the huge investment in time you'd need to learn the system. If WWII tactical gaming is your thing, you might consider it. Otherwise, you'll have to go without. Critical Hit also had a Third Party Product module called Stalingrad! Valor of the 37th Guards that gave players a treatment of the Dzerzhinsky Tractor Factory battle at ASL scale. Not as good as the AH/MMP games, however, but for those of us who have to play Stalingrad tactical actions, it gave us our fix, even if we had to create some home brew remedies for it.

Advanced Tobruk System is a good alternative to ASL--it's far easier and less expensive to get into--but there's not quite the depth and variety of Stalingrad gaming to be had comparatively. But what's there is still pretty good. Advanced Tobruk System Basic Game II: Streets of Stalingrad will keep you entertained for a while. The old Combat! Stalingrad can be retrofitted to ATS standards without too much trouble and provide still more tactical Stalingrad fun (this game actually inspired the ASL module, Stalingrad! Valor of the 37th Guards--the maps are the same!).

Combat Commander: Battle Pack #2 – Stalingrad is an expansion for Combat Commander: Europe if that system floats your boat. No vehicles, however, and for some people the game is just too chaotic. I enjoy it. Perhaps lacks the depth and flavor of the other tactical game but it's great fun.

If you are looking for something about the other aspects of the Stalingrad campaign--the Soviet counteroffensive against the weak flanks, the doomed German relief effort, etc...then that's a whole different series of recommendations.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Can't go wrong with Avalon Hill's 1963 classic, "Stalingrad", reprinted with a few rules tweaks in 1974, and readily available on ebay.

Very straightforward, clear rules, reasonable playing time, multiple strategies and replayability.

I am in the middle of playing a game on VASSAL, a great system for playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
PlayMe1 wrote:
Can't go wrong with Avalon Hill's 1963 classic, "Stalingrad", reprinted with a few rules tweaks in 1974, and readily available on ebay.

Except it's not about Stalingrad....

For Tactical - I got a kick out of Red Barricades. The time compression
is weird, but it's still fun. Not sure ASL is fun solo though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to differ from my respected fellow gamers here, I was disappointed by Storm Over Stalingrad I thought the system was very limiting in terms of choices and strategy.

The only other Stalingrad games I have played though are tactical , I think Squad Leader shines for Stalingrad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uel McAdorey
Canada
Fonthill
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for ASL, especially the Red Barricades module. IMHO it does a better job of evoking the "feel" of tactical combat in Stalingrad better then any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
billyboy wrote:

Seconded!!!...

Another vote

and another vote for Streets of Stalingrad (L2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Masspequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all the postings.I will check out all the games and hopefully purchase it ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the best tactical experience playing Stalingrad I strongly suggest ASL and Red Barricades historical module or Valor of the Guards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Top 10 Battle for Stalingrad Games . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best choice for a single purchase tactical Stalingrad game? Advanced Tobruk System Basic Game II: Streets of Stalingrad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Masspequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone
Thanks for all the responses, I have been here about 7-8 months so pretty new to WarGaming and just want to say its been great everyone is so helpful and quick to respond to almost any question. It's nice to have that kind of support. I posted this and within minutes had suggestions coming in.

So anyway I checked every game and also the top ten Stalingrad Geeklist and it came down to Battle for Stalingrad and Streets of Stalingrad. I just purchased the L2 version of SoS right here on the Geek.
I appreciate all the help
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Masspequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
I think Streets of Stalingrad (third edition) is your best bet. It won't come cheap, but if you are looking for the ultimate Stalingrad experience, it is worth every penny. If you do choose to get SoS, download the 2.0 rules and charts. They make the learning curve much easier and the game more fun.

Wow, great timing..you know I was just on ConSim and noticed the second edition and was going to ask which version to use.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Turning Point: Stalingrad does the best job of capturing the attritional nature of the battle for the city, and has an appropriately asymmetrical feel to the way the two sides play. The lack of a fixed setup makes it a challenge for new players, particularly for a Soviet noob, so it cries out for repeated play. Worth tracking down, in my opinion.

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Agnew
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have previously said: Turning Point: Stalingrad, and ASL, particularly the Historical modules Red Barricades and Valor of the Guards.

If finances are a concern, TP:S will come much cheaper than Streets of Stalingrad or any of the ASL modules. Not to mention the cost of acquiring the ASL Rulebook and Beyond Valor, which are pre-requisites to playing RB or VOTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.