Hide
18 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Anti-Monitor rule clarification. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Srithapin
msg tools
Hey Everyone, I had a few questions for some specific situations to see how others have been playing it.

Anti-Monitor's attack makes players put a card back into the line up. So now the lineup has extra cards (pending that it was not defended). My quesiton is, if cards from the regular lineup (original 5 cards) are purchased, do you refill them or do the extra cards caused by anti-monitor fill the empty slots until it goes below five?

Example. 2 player game and anti-monitor attacks us. Neither of us defend, putting 2 more cards in the line up for a total of 7 cards. (5+2). Next player goes and purchases a card from the original 5 (not either of the two put by ant-imonitor).

Do you replace that card from the main deck putting 7 cards in the lineup again or do you simply fill it with the extra 2 until the line up goes below 5 again?

Second question. There have been a few times where I've been able to blow up my power value to over 50+ (clayfacing a paralax etc.), easily defeating the supervillain and gaining all cards in the lineup with plenty to spare. My question is, can you just buyout the kick deck with all your extra points or is there some sort of limit I'm unaware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As to question number one, you only refill the line up when it goes below 5.

As to question number two, I am not sure, however; I would play that you can buy until you are out of power. With kick the max limit would be 16 (or however many were left in the available kick pile), because that is the number of kick cards, but I do not know of any rule that restricts the amount of cards that you can purchase per turn as long as you have the power to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you could buy up all the kicks (I would have to look at the rulebook to double check if it says something about kick limits).

However, this would likely be a bad move (depending on the timing). Of course if it's late in the game 16 kicks would net you 16 points so it's likely a sure fire win.

Early in the game it's not worth it to buy more then a couple. They are only 2 power so they are only going to gimp you in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You can buy out the Kick stack if you want.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcon2 wrote:

Really? Huh. We've been playing it as meaning that the line-up is just bigger for the rest of the game, and everyone gets more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Falcon2 wrote:

Really? Huh. We've been playing it as meaning that the line-up is just bigger for the rest of the game, and everyone gets more options.

The line up is covered on page 4 of the rulebook, which places 5 cards in the line up. On the back of the rulebook, in the end of turn section, it says to "Fill each empty slot in the line up with a card from the main deck." I read that to mean that if there are at least 5 cards in the line up, there is no "empty line up slot to fill". So the extras are only there until the line up drops to less than 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Friedman
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 11 under Anti-Monitor says

"Note that after his First Appearance—Attack, the cards each player adds
to the Line-Up will often leave the Line-Up with five or more cards, so don’t fill a seemingly empty slot without counting the total first."

So players do not refill the line-up, until it drops below 5 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well how about that.
I suspect we'll keep playing "wrong", as it marks a decisive shift in tone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Steinberger
Germany
Taunusstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it is, a player is loosing one of his cards and needs to spend power to get it back (or there is even a opportunity for the foes to get it) AND the Line-Up doesn't get refilled with new cards. That's kind of a strong Attack for the Anti-Monitor (just as he deserves). I'd even go one step further and woud make it a random card that needs to put in the Line-Up.
The way you play it, it's more of a Bonus for the players instead of a disadvantage in the long run because there are more cards in the Line-Up to choose from every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneJericho wrote:
As it is, a player is loosing one of his cards and needs to spend power to get it back (or there is even a opportunity for the foes to get it) AND the Line-Up doesn't get refilled with new cards. That's kind of a strong Attack for the Anti-Monitor (just as he deserves). I'd even go one step further and woud make it a random card that needs to put in the Line-Up.
The way you play it, it's more of a Bonus for the players instead of a disadvantage in the long run because there are more cards in the Line-Up to choose from every turn.

Correct. And, as with most of the attacks, it hurts people who are doing well more than those who aren't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also for Anti MonitorS First appearance, You Can Only Put Back Main Deck Cards In The Line U, Correct? i Play That You Can't Put Starters, Super villains, Or Kicks BackInto The Line Up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't put in Starters or Weaknesses, because they're 0 cost. Otherwise, anything can go in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Super-Villain and Kick cards can end up in the Line-Up. I've definitely lost a SV to the Anti-Monitor before, though not as many as to another SV from a future Cerberus game.

CZE Game Tester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
You can't put in Starters or Weaknesses, because they're 0 cost. Otherwise, anything can go in.

What about the case where your entire hand is starter cards? Do I get to skip the attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Fox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If you can't meet the conditions of the attack, then the attack hits and fizzles with no effect. Starters and Weaknesses should never end up in the line-up because there is no way to put them there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lostdog wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

What about the case where your entire hand is starter cards? Do I get to skip the attack?

Yes indeed! You can gloat about your lame hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nekobat wrote:
Super-Villain and Kick cards can end up in the Line-Up. I've definitely lost a SV to the Anti-Monitor before, though not as many as to another SV from a future Cerberus game.

CZE Game Tester

So, if a Super-Villain ends up in the line-up, does the Super-Villain attack again?

Also, with the Kick cards being added to the Line-up, do they "clog" up the "Line-Up" and unless someone wants to open up the Line-Up they remain there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
raynovich wrote:
So, if a Super-Villain ends up in the line-up, does the Super-Villain attack again?

Also, with the Kick cards being added to the Line-up, do they "clog" up the "Line-Up" and unless someone wants to open up the Line-Up they remain there.

No.

Yes, Kicks can clog it.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.