Subject: Hey Aussie geeks a tree question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are thinking about putting a Eucalyptus tree in our front yard. I was looking to the source for the pros/cons, what your thoughts are. Oh, we live in the Sonoran Desert in Arizona so similar to the Outback I reckon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They drop leaves and bark like there is no tomorrow.
The grow massive!
The drop branches and twigs and stuff everywhere.

Other than that they are great.

lol

No really they look lovely. The obviously grow left right and center over here. What type of Eucalyptus are you looking at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dont worry about a few leaves....worry about the dropbears...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah watch for the koalas in them too. They can get feisty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info!

A couple of questions:
What kind of Eucalyptus is best, in your opinion?
Can we compost the leaves?
Is a Koala family standard? While they keep the neighborhood cats out of the garden?
Is there any other Aussie awesomeness that we should also incorporate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an Aussie, but we have a ton of eucalyptus trees around here.

I park near them at work, so I am clearly biased below.

The following comments apply mostly to a mature eucalyptus. I am not familiar with cute little eucalypti.

1) They have a particular scent. You either hate it, or you tolerate it.
2) They shed bark and leaves that are long and thin, and pretty tough, and can get wedged in all sorts of gaps in your car
3) They shed acorn-like pods that can get lodged in the hood of your car (right in front of your windshield wipers) and smell up the interior
4) They shed sticky little white threads that are terrible on your windshield. The mist-and-wipers approach is useless, because it just smears the glue around, and they adhere to your wipers. They pretty much need to be squeegeed off.
5) If the wind picks up (during a storm, for example) they drop heavy limbs like a salamander will drop its tail. Get better insurance.

Clearly their primary prey is automobiles. Otherwise, they are lovely. From a distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need to find one you like - there are literally hundreds and hundreds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eucalyptus_species

The Blue Gum has done well in California. As they've found out, planting a lot of them together makes a good bushfire due to the oil and fallen leaves.

Coming from Sydney I quite like the Scribbly Gum, but without the moths it's not going to be quite the same in Arizona.

The River Red Gum has the nickname "Widow Maker" due to it's tendency to drop heavy branches on your head, but apart from that they're nice. Not sure if it's one to put in the front garden though. How's your life insurance?

If you want something tall then maybe the Sydney Blue Gum or the Blackbutt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_pilularis

If you want something short and bushy then the Mallalie would be a good choice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_eudesmoides

I quite like the Grey Gum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_punctata

It loses bark like crazy, but this makes the colours interesting, and they thrive in poor soil. I had one blow over once out the back of our property with most of the roots ripped out of the soil. It was still alive two years later when I moved.

If you just want a pretty one then this one (Silver-leaved Mountain Gum), could be perfect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_pulverulenta

Have fun choosing. Some people are obsessed with them:

http://www.amazon.com/Eucalyptus-Novel-Murray-Bail/dp/031242...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmb
Joose wrote:

Dont worry about a few leaves....worry about the dropbears...

Some good info here:

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Red Gum also makes excellent firewood.

You probably already know this, but Australian trees don't drop their leaves for Autumn Fall, they drop them whenever they feel like, but replace them with new leaves, so they have leaf coverage all year round (unless they are very unwell, or have suffered from some external influence - i.e. 48 degree Celsius day killed one of our gum trees).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
but Australian trees don't drop their leaves for (unless they are very unwell, or have suffered from some external influence - i.e. 48 degree Celsius day killed one of our gum trees).

A 48 degree Celsius [118.4F]day would fell the best of us.

at the least have us dropping our bark and heading for the beach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
We have a bazillion here on the California Coast. They stink and make a mess. (No offense Australian friends).

I wouldn't recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
The dropping things could be an issue. The tree would not be near the cars, but the wind here is insane on a regular basis. Thanks again everyone for all your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
It is worth noting that like any tree, they take a while to grow - the "killing you with dropped branches" part doesn't start for 20 years at least. So you're safe for now.

The fun starts in 2-3 decades, when you've begun to slow down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Eucalyptus macrocarpa is a beautiful small tree. Silvery foliage and big red flowers. The seed pods are large - unlikely to get stuck under windshields and the like. It's a mallee, which means it will have multiple trunks and be more like a shrub than a tree in many respects, and is less likely to throw branches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to go off topic, but why not try a tree native to the Sonoran desert? If you're watering it, you could grow an amazing cottonwood or your choice of oaks. The local wildlife will thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
polychrotid wrote:
Sorry to go off topic, but why not try a tree native to the Sonoran desert? If you're watering it, you could grow an amazing cottonwood or your choice of oaks. The local wildlife will thank you.

bingo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Eucalyptus macrocarpa is a beautiful small tree. Silvery foliage and big red flowers. The seed pods are large - unlikely to get stuck under windshields and the like. It's a mallee, which means it will have multiple trunks and be more like a shrub than a tree in many respects, and is less likely to throw branches.

That's really nice, and looks like it would fit in well with Arizona flora.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:

That is not out of the question. Just checking things out. The cottonwood would be a definite no per allergies with the wife and kids, I like oaks and will have to look more into that.

We do have three large (two 40+ ft) Chihuahuan Pines in the back that the local doves and mockingbirds do like quite a bit. We have also seen a hawk in the area every so often and not terribly far (across the field) I have seen a few roadrunners. Now if there is a way to attract roadrunners that would be awesome, though between our dog and all of the others in the neighborhood I doubt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OK forget the Eucalypt if anyone in the family has allergies.

there are days when I or my son cant go outside, they are beautiful and have glorious flowers...along with lots of pollen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we planted gums and wattles for quick shelter belt, but they do make a mess and are not great for my hayfever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Really, there should be weekdays, weekends, and cuddle days.
badge
You're not fooling me, because I can see the way you shake and shiver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eucalpytus also tend to put a chemical into the ground that inhibits the growth of other plants (though this may be a good thing, depending on the context). IIRC, it comes from the shredded bark or leaves (and possibly something else, too).

The leaf litter can also be flammable.

They do have many positive points, however, already pointed out in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
Yeah, we planted gums and wattles for quick shelter belt, but they do make a mess and are not great for my hayfever.

Wattle is the number one offender for hayfever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote Bruce Two "This here's the wattle, the emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand."

I have no idea what type our Eucalypts are (of the hundreds to choose from) but they have no flower issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Geniesse wrote:
Eucalpytus also tend to put a chemical into the ground that inhibits the growth of other plants (though this may be a good thing, depending on the context). IIRC, it comes from the shredded bark or leaves (and possibly something else, too).

The leaf litter can also be flammable.

They do have many positive points, however, already pointed out in this thread.

Came here to post this very point. It comes from the leaves; that leaf litter will, like pine needles, repulse other plants.

I detest the bloody things, and I've never come up with any redeeming features. Ugly, dangerous, messy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very similar to a eucalyptus tree is this species http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angophora_costata

Not sure if it will grow where you live but it is a very beautiful tree ... when it sheds its old bark the new layer can have a beautiful strong orange colour.. do a google image search and enjoy the pics that come up..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.