GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,456 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

The Poet
msg tools
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time posting.

My gang and I got hooked on Catan recently. We bought all the expansions and play it every weekend till the early hours of the morning lol.

Well now I'm looking for an alternative to Catan where luck isn't really that much of a factor, even though we play without the dice using the event cards from Traders and Barbarians minus the actual events. A game where you win based on your strategy rather than relying for the right numbers to come up at the right time would be amazing.

The biggest complaint with Catan is that whole lets gang up against the player winning. Whether its not trading with said player, or putting the robber on their property. Is there a game where you can't really do this?

By the way my group is at LEAST always 6 people strong. Some times we even have other players waiting to get in on a round of Catan.

Looking for a game with :

-less luck

-more strategy

-at least 6 people

-would prefer for it to be quicker than catan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there's plenty of light-on-luck games, and there's heaps of shorter games which can play with 6+ players and there's tonnes of games with more strategy than Catan and most games don't have such a clear path to cutting down the player winning at the time.

But I'm drawing a blank on something that matches all four at once.
7 Wonders - shorter, 6+ players (up to 8), same level of strat, no direct winner abuse.
Diamant - shorter, 8 players, less strat, no 'ganging up'.
Power Grid - lots more strategy, 6 players, no ganging up, much longer than Catan espec' with 6 players.
Shadows over Camelot - 3-7 players, same time, different strategy in Co-op, built-in ganging up against the game, but with a potential traitor.
The Resistance - 5-10 players, way less strat, 30 minutes, potential ganging up is integral but in a good way

I didn't bother mentioning lower player count games as that is the most important req.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is really the best option I can think of. If somebody does get ahead, only the two people next to them are really directly interact with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chicago Express - No luck, no hidden information, very simple rules, plays in an hour, endless depth, no kingmaking, every game plays differently. Lots of fun player negotiation in this game. Plays 3-6 (technically 2-6 but 2 player is terrible).

Game is not dry at all and the winner is the person with the most money at the end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Shields are offline.
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels avoids the pick on the leader problem by having players secretly pick roles at the start of each turn, and "attacks" are against roles, not other players. It gives the leader a chance to hide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.