Subject: Repair actions and power generator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick question while I wait impatiently for the game to arrive If my power plant is slagged do I still 3 get repair actions when landed on the carrier, or am I limited by the power generator damage?

Also I'm assuming (or I missed in the rulebook) that if I use two actions to get back to the carrier and land, then I can perform one repair action that turn after landing. But... if you are not limited in repair actions due to power generator, then how does the following scenario work:

1> Start in friendly carrier zone
2> slagged power generator

Can I use my one action to land the gunship then the turn ends, or would I still be able to perform repair actions the same turn I land, if they're independent from gunship actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the rules state that you get three repair actions while abroad the carrier. The context of that rule is that you start aboard the carrier. So a damaged power generator or advanced power generator makes no difference if you start your turn with your GS docked.

You need two things to be able to land on you carrier. An action and 1 movement. Think of docking like an extra zone on the board where only your GS can go. The rules also say that you can use the rest of your actions on the turn that you land to do repair actions. This means in the case of a slagged PG you will not be able to do any repairs unless you have a damage control card. In the case of a fully functional PG if you start in your carrier zone then if you dock as your first action you will get two repair actions aboard the carrier + damage control cards that you play. If you shoot at something first you have one less. If you shoot at two things you will have none.

See page 14 of the rule book for more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Chris

Having a Slagged PG is a VERY serious situation and you are pretty much toast, lol. Permanent -2 Actions is a tough thing to live with - I have done it and I got my butt kicked.

All that aside, let's get your questions answered!

A Slagged PG does NOT affect the 3 Repair Actions. Think of those as Actions performed by the technicians in the Carrier itself, completely separate from the Gunship. Any Repair Actions earned when you have "leftover" GS Actions are actually just representing time that was left over by the Gunship not doing other things. Try to picture those turns as "half Gunship/half Carrier" turns (or 1/3 to 2/3 etc)

Here is how your hypothetical situation plays out:

1> Start in FCZ with Slagged PG
2> Spend your 1 Action to land Aboard the Carrier
3> Since the GS has no Actions left, you get no repairs that turn

This may seem contradictory to what I said about Repair Actions being separate from GS Actions. They still are. But during development, we found that it basically wasted a whole turn when you had to land and then wait until the following turn to start repairs. This way, you can still get a couple of repairs done on the same turn that you land, but you need a full turn in the Carrier to get all three of them.

When your Gunship has a Slagged PG, though, think of it as having to spend that whole turn struggling to land. There simply isn't any time to conduct repairs. You're basically dealing with a very expensive brick at that point.

Hopefully my reasoning makes sense!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mehr
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape Pod Games wrote:

Having a Slagged PG is a VERY serious situation and you are pretty much toast, lol. Permanent -2 Actions is a tough thing to live with - I have done it and I got my butt kicked.

Yep, you have several times by my hand! Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
American Soldier wrote:
Escape Pod Games wrote:

Yep, you have several times by my hand! Lol.

Funny enough, I finally got the game today and talked my G/F off of Skyrim long enough to play a game with me and this very situation arose when I crit+slagged her power generator in her home carrier zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kashre wrote:
Funny enough, I finally got the game today and talked my G/F off of Skyrim long enough to play a game with me and this very situation arose when I crit+slagged her power generator in her home carrier zone.

Did she go back to playing Skyrim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually but she still liked the game a lot... I think she was sold on it when she ionized my power generator twice in a row cackling gleefully the whole time. It was actually a really close game.. I only had 2 hull on my carrier when hers died

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.