13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Standard rules for card layouts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lunderful Games
msg tools
Hi all,

I'm working on making the layout for my first game involving cards and I was wondering if there were any standard playing card layouts that people prefer that it would be wise to follow...such as playing attributes in a certain place, names, etc.

May be a stupid question but I thought I'd ask before I start creating somthing.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I fan my cards, I like to know what I'm looking at.

So titles on the top or left is better than the title on the right/bottom.

Likewise, the right/bottom can be reference information, but not something I need when I'm looking at ALL of the cards, just THAT card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would say that the top left corner of each card should have the most important information, so when I hold a handful of cards in the way that's most natural to me, I can see that info on each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that some left-handed and/or European card players will insist there must be an index on left and right sides of the cards. (See Lost Cities for an example.) I think this is actually more a case of tradition than any type of "enabling" feature.

On that topic, it does seem worthwhile and appreciated to be mindful of color-blind issues. There are plenty of other threads on the 'Geek that discuss that matter, and I recommend you give them a read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunderful Games
msg tools
Thanks guys, my cards are simple. Here is all that is on it.

Character name
Small home planet image
Four attribute numbers (I have images with each one, not just color coded)

So would you guys recommend having the four attributes listed on the upper left hand side of the card so that you can see them when they are fanned? I was thinking originally across the bottom but that may not make the most sense. The only other thing that would need to be seen would be the planet image. potentially put that in the top left. That way all pertinent information could be seen when the cards are fanned.

Thanks!
Austin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes...always focus the most important info in the top left...Although this only applies to games where you have a "hand" of cards like poker. If you are not using a mechanic that keeps a hand of cards hidden from opponents, then the graphics could change dramatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunderful Games
msg tools
Cool, game uses hands so I think that would be a good way to go than.

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the attributes are important for decision making while in the hand, then yes, down the left is appropriate. If its suitable to include the planet as a small icon in the extreme top left (i.e. each planet type is quickly recognizable) to indicate a faction or classification of some sort, start with that and list the attributes below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

+-------------+
| * Title |
| |
| A |
| B |
| C |
| D |
| |
| |
+-------------+

The most important information should (IMHO) go into the Title, *, A, B, C and D position.

* is the index - a very quick referent on what it is or why it's important. Poker cards put rank/suit there.

Title (left justified, please) lets me uniquely identify this card, so when I've finally memorized the cards, I know what it is at a glance.

A-D When fanning the cards, A-D are likely to show up and able to be referenced.

Everywhere else on the card is going to be hidden when fanning, so needs to be not-needed when fanning. That doesn't mean you can't put data in the lower right (for example), just that looking at that card in the fan, I shouldn't need that information (or should know it from the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunderful Games
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:

+-------------+
| * Title |
| |
| A |
| B |
| C |
| D |
| |
| |
+-------------+

The most important information should (IMHO) go into the Title, *, A, B, C and D position.

* is the index - a very quick referent on what it is or why it's important. Poker cards put rank/suit there.

Title (left justified, please) lets me uniquely identify this card, so when I've finally memorized the cards, I know what it is at a glance.

A-D When fanning the cards, A-D are likely to show up and able to be referenced.

Everywhere else on the card is going to be hidden when fanning, so needs to be not-needed when fanning. That doesn't mean you can't put data in the lower right (for example), just that looking at that card in the fan, I shouldn't need that information (or should know it from the title.

Thanks! That's the layout I envisioned in my head after a few of the posts above. I'm going to proceed with that. There are four different types of cards in the deck and each will have a different background color to distinguish them so I don't have a class or something to put in the upper left so that is where I will put a small image of the characters home planet since it is important to know.

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful with your color choices if that's the only way to distinguish one card type from another. You'll want to be sure that color-impaired players can still tell one card type from another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To anyone here who claims that important info should go on the left: That is exactly the opposite of being right (!). Proper-fan'ers unite! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, I just posted 32 layouts over here: CRACK - Card Layouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.