Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/the-purge-revie...?

Conclusion:

What a fun, little, silly game! You get a few "factions" such as Pirates, Aliens, Zombies, etc. and they pick sides and then battle it out over some land! Nothing could be more silly or more geared for the type of people that play board games (said with love).

This is a mish mash of theme, but it works because the game is light enough to hold it all together. You won't have an epic game that you will talk about forever or will you? Well we did!

The game is very simple to play and very simple to teach. The artwork is comical without going overboard. This is a game that can be played with family members of all ages.

I am eagerly awaiting an expansion to get more factions to play with. I'm not sure the game is infinitely expandable as there are only so many interesting factions that can be added.

Overall, this is a fun game that is a keeper for our family.

Components:

You get some cards. That's it. The cards are of good stock. I liked the artwork. The art was comical enough to be for the whole family without going overboard. Even a faction, like the zombies, which could have been un family friendly, was done tastefully.

My biggest complaint about the components is there were no components to track victory points. This is a huge problem that I have when games do not come with the components to play the game. Huge negative to me.

Rule Book:

The rule book is very good and very big. The rules to the game are very simple and the rule book does a great job of staying out of the way. With some of the cards, I had to guess on a few uses, but I was probably over thinking it to be honest. Everything works well together to be honest and nothing is overly complicated.

Flow of the Game:

Very easy:

1. Pre turn effects. This is by powers on cards.
2. Play a minion and/or a action card. They can be played in either order. This is the main mechanic of the game. I'll explain their use later.
3. Score locations.
4. Draw two cards.
5. End of game effects. This is by powers on cards.

The main mechanic is you may play a minion and/or action on a turn. There are locations on the table with a VP number and a break through number on them. When minions are played they have a "power" number on it. When these "power" numbers added up to the break through number, then you score the VP on the location (and any other bonuses that are on the card).

First one to X number of VP, win the game.

Sound easy? Because it is!

Should I buy this Game?:

Yes. This is a fun card game that isn't a deck builder. The game allows interesting decisions on how to play your cards and the timing of the cards. Certain factions play well together (maybe they all do?) and certain factions are better against other factions (maybe they are perfectly balanced?).

I like this game, but not love it. I had a lot of fun, but it isn't a deep strategic game. It is nice to see a fun card game that doesn't rely on deck building.

Survives the purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vanzino
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice review. I bought this game after playing it with a mate and his young boys. It is a simple family friendly game that really works better with 3+ players.

Note: You say that the rule book is very big - I think you should clarify that that its 2 pages and the text is very big

I agree about the lack of point tally/scorers included. I've just thrown a set of D20's in the box. I don't understand why they couldn't have just thrown a set of dice in to cover that aspect? The only downer in a simple fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeefyGoodness wrote:
Nice review. I bought this game after playing it with a mate and his young boys. It is a simple family friendly game that really works better with 3+ players.

Note: You say that the rule book is very big - I think you should clarify that that its 2 pages and the text is very big

I agree about the lack of point tally/scorers included. I've just thrown a set of D20's in the box. I don't understand why they couldn't have just thrown a set of dice in to cover that aspect? The only downer in a simple fun game.

I use colored buttons.....less chance of being tipped over....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeefyGoodness wrote:

I think calling it a "simple" game is selling it short. It's not difficult to learn initially how to play, but there are a lot of different strategies and synergies to watch for, and not just in the cards you are playing yourself. With the bases varying points distribution (Player with the highest power on a base doesn't always get the most points) and various base abilities, there is a lot of different strategy on the table when crossed with the cards you play.

It's "simple" enough in the sense that my daughter can pick up the game and play it on a basic level, but she will forget certain cards she has played previously that boost other specific cards, or totally ignore/forget base abilities and just look at the numbers themselves. A good player is going to win majority of the time, the game just isn't THAT random...so while I think the theme and basic mechanics are good for family play as well, how well someone will perform depends on how good they can stat track and pay attention to all of the various things going on at once.

This is what I love about the game. I can actually take this one to my game group meetings, and have a fairly meaty card game to play that doesn't take hours and is always a blast to play.

The hand management, card synergies, and take that mechanics all mesh very well.

I also think the game works just as well with 2 players as it does with 4. I don't think the game suffers one bit from lack of full players.

One addition: VP counters are coming in the expansion box. I use a 20 sided die myself for each player, and find that sufficient. I don't like a bunch of beads/tokens sitting around the table having to be count when the game already has a bit of math/stat tracking to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I can find the fun in almost every game I play. I played this at Game Summit with a few friends and I hated it so much that we actually stopped playing. I have never done that before. There was just something about it that pissed me off.

For one thing, the table becomes such a bloody mess that it's hard to remember what all the cards do that your opponent placed down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeefyGoodness wrote:

I'm pretty sure they are including some kind of score tracker of some sort in the expansion coming out in March/April (if that's still the release date).

EDIT: On their (I think?) Facebook page, they have chits of 1's and 5's... good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.