Subject: Early Use of the Marines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started a tactical surprise scenario, and am having a bit of a problem deciding what to do with the initial Marine units the Allies receive.

The obvious choice would be to set up an invasion somewhere in the North's rear areas, but I don't want to risk a full PRC intervention in the early part of the war.

The units themselves are only 1-1's, so they collectively aren't going to hold any section of the line very well. Since their efficiency rating is seven, I figure they'll be useful stacking with the less efficient bigger units of the ROK for the first few turns.

Is this a good use for the Marines, or is there a large benefit to an early invasion attack that I'm failing to see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
I've started a tactical surprise scenario, and am having a bit of a problem deciding what to do with the initial Marine units the Allies receive.

The obvious choice would be to set up an invasion somewhere in the North's rear areas, but I don't want to risk a full PRC intervention in the early part of the war.

The units themselves are only 1-1's, so they collectively aren't going to hold any section of the line very well. Since their efficiency rating is seven, I figure they'll be useful stacking with the less efficient bigger units of the ROK for the first few turns.

Is this a good use for the Marines, or is there a large benefit to an early invasion attack that I'm failing to see?

I used them to bolster the ROK defenses around Seoul. The extra ER is nice and you'll enjoy the combat support of the USMC HQ's. The marines can also move in the Elite Reaction Phase and their leg defense is doubled in the urban hexes.

Absent the presence of higher defense factor ROK partners and good terrain, I would be worried that the DPRK forces could quickly surround and destroy a marine beachhead further north.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the "All In" scenarion last weekend, I wonder about the DPRK marines. What do you do with them? They are weaker than the USMC units, and since sea control will eventually be lost, do you send the DPRK marines on a one way trip? If so, what is worth losing them over? Or do you use them elsewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeattleDan wrote:
Having played the "All In" scenarion last weekend, I wonder about the DPRK marines. What do you do with them? They are weaker than the USMC units, and since sea control will eventually be lost, do you send the DPRK marines on a one way trip? If so, what is worth losing them over? Or do you use them elsewhere?

I sent them on a one way trip on the eastern shore. They established a beachhead on the southeast portion of the peninsula and eventually linked up with DPRK units moving south along the eastern shore.

You could also have them land in the Pyontaeg (sp?) area. If they can establish a beachhead and take the port, you might be able to move some units in there before you lose sea control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boyinblue1 wrote:
SeattleDan wrote:

You could also have them land in the Pyontaeg (sp?) area. If they can establish a beachhead and take the port, you might be able to move some units in there before you lose sea control.

I was actually stationed at Camp Humphreys with the 557th MP Company near Pyongtaeg and this sort of naval landing was one of our biggest concerns. It's humbling to know that in the scale of this game, I was just a Clearing marker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeattleDan wrote:

Also, as I recently learned, just because you lose control of the In Shore box, that doesn't mean you can't use the NK navy anymore. You just have to gamble on contested sea moves to get them out of port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I was planning on using the NK marine to invade near Pyontaeg. I figured anything that pulls a unit or two off the front line is a win.

I have a tendency in war games to husband my forces (making me much better at playing the historical defender) but as NK I know all the units are dead anyway, so might as well attack something with them. My playthroughs of the standard game were bloodbaths. The winner sure didn't look like it by the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
Interesting. I was planning on using the NK marine to invade near Pyontaeg. I figured anything that pulls a unit or two off the front line is a win.

I have a tendency in war games to husband my forces (making me much better at playing the historical defender) but as NK I know all the units are dead anyway, so might as well attack something with them. My playthroughs of the standard game were bloodbaths. The winner sure didn't look like it by the end.

It can also pay to cut the direct route from Seoul to Busan. Makes it harder for the US to move reinforcing heavy units to Seoul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was actually stationed at Camp Humphreys with the 557th MP Company near Pyongtaeg and this sort of naval landing was one of our biggest concerns. It's humbling to know that in the scale of this game, I was just a Clearing marker!:D

I was once stationed at Camp Hovey, near Tongducheon (sp) with the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Infantry (2-2-0!). Back then it seemed we were a ways from the border, in the game I was a hex or two away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Dan. You woulda been in the crapper pretty early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.