Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sutanto Joji
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am thinking about deep-diving into the solitaire realm. Is there any recommended solitaire game? I prefer to have "control" over my game, not a wild swing-kind of game.

What I'm thinking right now is the leader series. So, the questions are:
1. Any recommended 1st timer solitaire game with enough control?
2. Any recommended leader series (TAL/HL:CAO/PL/UBoat etc)?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played 3 hours solitaire: Rune Age.

Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemo's War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
joehn wrote:
I am thinking about deep-diving into the solitaire realm.

Awesome and welcome!

joehn wrote:
2. Any recommended leader series (TAL/HL:CAO/PL/UBoat etc)?

I recommend Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations over Thunderbolt Apache Leader by a slim margin. Mostly because it's a little less complex and plays slightly faster since you're looking for your first solitaire game. I think you'll find that most people will tend to recommend TAL because it has a little more depth and more decision making than HL:CAO. Or just get both as I did! They're different enough and worth it.

Without restating much of what has already been said, here are some threads where this had been discussed recently:

This or Hornet?
Is there enough variety/replayability?
Hornet Leader collecting dust?

Here is a reply I wrote somewhere else that may give you ideas for other solitaire games:

Solitaire Game Recommendations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:

I have a question for you that is sort of relevant to the thread, so I figured I'd ask here instead of in a GM. Which expansions do you prefer to play with in Race for the Galaxy/Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm when you play vs the robot? Do you play with just TGS, or do you mix in Rebel vs Imperium as well? I couldn't discern this from your collection comments.

I've been meaning to play the physical solo game for a while now, but I always just sit down and play vs the Keldon AI instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Othila wrote:
Ryanmobile wrote:

I have a question for you that is sort of relevant to the thread, so I figured I'd ask here instead of in a GM. Which expansions do you prefer to play with in Race for the Galaxy/Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm when you play vs the robot? Do you play with just TGS, or do you mix in Rebel vs Imperium as well? I couldn't discern this from your collection comments.

I've been meaning to play the physical solo game for a while now, but I always just sit down and play vs the Keldon AI instead.

I've only played with Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm. I've started on medium difficulty and find plenty of challenge there. Once I get better I'll go for the hard setting. I've played over 50 times with TGS and still find it fun in addition to challenging.

I've heard the other two expansion make it slightly easier. So I decided to hold of on incorporating those until I get better with TGS or bored with it; whatever comes first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Othila wrote:

They are two different games. You'll see your multiplayer/Keldon AI tactics may not work so well with the solitaire robot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you in the market for older games? I can't recommend RAF highly enough. Just enough unpredictability to keep repeated plays interesting, but a lot of planning and decision making at the strategic and tactical level.

Phantom Leader is pretty good on iOS, but I've not played the physical version. You might want to try that first to get a feel for how the Leader series plays, as I've heard that they all play fairly similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TAL is the most complex game I think I've played (solo or not). It really burns my brain to do all the book keeping and keep track of all the decisions and phases. I could easily spend an hour plus just setting up a mission and picking ships, pilots, and weapons (not to say there's anything wrong with that, you just have to go in knowing that pre-mission phases take some time. I personally find the actual playing out of the mission much more interesting). It's a fun game, it just takes a lot of dedication. Overall, it does a pretty good job of tying together many different types of play into the same game. Note that TAL does have die rolling and chit pulling (pretty much any solo will have a decently strong randomizer, so hopefully that doesn't bother you)

I much prefer Mage Knight. Mage Knight is about as heavy as TAL, but I feel it is better streamlined. If the theme doesn't bother you, I highly recommend it.

If you want a euro, I just played At The Gates Of Loyang and think it might contend for my favorite solo (even over Mage Knight). I found it much more enjoyable than other euros I've tried solo (like Agricola, which isn't a bad solo by any means). It plays quickly and smoothly but has a lot to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also recommend Mage Knight as a solo experience. Not at all like playing a solo wargame, though.

Ryanmobile wrote:
Othila wrote:

They are two different games. You'll see your multiplayer/Keldon AI tactics may not work so well with the solitaire robot.

Thanks for your response. I don't really see the need to make it easier; I like solo experiences to be challenging, so I'll just stick with TGS for my first robot playthrough. And yeah, I know the robot and Keldon's AI are different; I just glance at all those robot tiles and the dice and think, "It'd be so much easier just to hit 'new game' in the Keldon window".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to mention Ambush! because its my favorite game ever. I enjoy it more than its squad based tactical video game counterparts as well. Its more fun than X-Com, IMO, and I love X-Com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Troiano
United States
Congers
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree! Ambush is awesome1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.