Subject: Flank Attacks Again rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two units have moved to attack an enemy unit. The first engages, the second becomes a flank attack. When the first unit attacks, the enemy is forced to retreat, but is still next to the unit that was flanking it.

Does the flanking unit still have a flank attack as the unit it is attacking no longer has an engaged marker?

or do you now put an engaged marker between the enemy unit and the unit that was previously flanking it and make a normal attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to put an engagement token.
Phrase "unit that was previously flanking" is wrong. Unit is not flaking until it actually attacks. So you should say "unit that was adjacent but not engaged" or "unit that would have been flanking" ;].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polydor wrote:
Two units have moved to attack an enemy unit. The first engages, the second becomes a flank attack. When the first unit attacks, the enemy is forced to retreat, but is still next to the unit that was flanking it.

(1)
Does the flanking unit still have a flank attack as the unit it is attacking no longer has an engaged marker?

(2)
or do you now put an engaged marker between the enemy unit and the unit that was previously flanking it and make a normal attack?

(1) No, because the engagement token was removed.
(2) Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Stormhammer
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polydor wrote:
(1)Two units have moved to attack an enemy unit. The first engages, the second becomes a flank attack. When the first unit attacks, the enemy is forced to retreat, but is still next to the unit that was flanking it.

(1) I see the replies below but am shocked at the response. I didnt see this anywhere in the rules or in the added player rules with retreats.

I have played. Unit1/unit2 attack enemy1. Unit1 rolls a hit and a flag/retreat. Unit2 wants to flank attack.

What you are saying is, they are not simulatenously attacks, enemy1 actually runs away/retreats and unit2 is left swinging a sword at thin air?

I had played that unit one's attack's flag would count, but only after unit2 made its flanking attak. Unit 2's flag/retreat rolls didn't count. This is how my friend and I judged, obviously not great, but it seems better than unit two moving to attack and finding nothing there.

The reasoning: Movement happens first, then attacks. But its with multiple units. Its just a mechanism to show reality. Unit2 would not move to a place where the unit had already ran away, right? Or would they (starting to doubt myself). Maybe they didnt know at the same time unit1 caused a retreat as they were running to attack from a different angle.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacks definitely not happen at once, but one after the other.
So yes, you take the risk to force the target to retreat out of range for the second attack. If you want to prevent this, you have several options.
How to place you units is crucial. If the target can not retreat, can only retreat to another hex next to the second attacker, or if the second attacker is next to another possible target, you have an out. (Note that the second attacker does not have to declare its target until it starts the attack, so you could choose another enemy unit if the first target retreats or gets killed.)
Instead to aim for a flank attack, you could launch one coordinated attack (as in the optional rules i highly recommend) of course.

As for the realism of this, if you want to get an advantage because the enemy is engaged and focused, you actually have to wait for the engagement to take place. An while you wait to rush into the flank, the enemy could of course get scared and be running before you can act. Maybe you can still act, if they run past you, but if you want to make sure you get them in the first place, you have to attack simultaniously with your other guys, and then thats a "coordinated attack", not "engage and flank".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.