Board Game: Android: Netrunner
Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nerve Agent Accessing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fan
This probably works exactly as I expect but just to be sure...

Let's assume the Runner has 3 counters on Nerve Agent, thus they will be able to see their original 1 card access and then a further two more.

Because the Runner must access cards one at a time then does the Runner access one, replace it (assuming not an agenda or trashable card they want to trash), Corp shuffles, Runner draws another, repeat until counter total satisfied.

OR does the Runner access one, lay it aside, access another, lay it aside, access the final one - return all 3? (Similar to Medium, though I understand that Medium has to be done separately to keep the deck in order).

I suspect it is the former rather than the latter but I'm just checking anyway.

The thing with the first one is that even having multiple accesses then you could still see the same card 5 times, the advantage being that instead of hving to make 5 separate runs to see that one card 5 times, you instead see it 5 times in one go - which is obviously unlikely but at least you didn't have to run the ICE loads to end up with that result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davvan Delivers
Sweden
flag msg tools
Its the latter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think it's the latter, following the R&D method. I don't see anywhere in the rules that say otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernan Stanton
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Trapped In A World I Never Made...
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Dawn of the Zeds fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fan
You'd think it's the later, but I hope it's the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Zombie LoverMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Page 18 says...

Concluding the Run
After the Runner has accessed all required cards, he returns any cards not stolen or trashed to their original play states. For example, an unrezzed card in a remote server returns facedown to that server, and a card accessed from HQ returns to HQ.

This makes me agree with the above comments. With 3 virus tokens on Nerve Agent, you would...

Access one card randomly from HQ and trash or steal it.
Access another card from HQ and trash or steal it.
Access the third card from HQ and trash or steal it.
Return all three cards to HQ (if they have not been trashed or stolen)

Of course, if their was an upgrade installed in the root of HQ, you could access it before or after any of the above steps.

Also, you would not be able to access card 1, then card 2 and decide at that point to go back and trash card 1. You have to make the decision to trash or not (assuming it is trash-able) after you access each card and before you access the next card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: I love Europe!Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fan - Colony for a Colony?Microbadge: Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom fanMicrobadge: Betrayal Legacy fan
Its definitely the latter, as with the identically worded medium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Christian
This is why Nerve Agent must be combined with Imp (or multiple Imps). And more than likely a Whizzard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notyetsuperman wrote:
This is why Nerve Agent must be combined with Imp (or multiple Imps). And more than likely a Whizzard.
I do not understand this assertion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
byronczimmer wrote:
notyetsuperman wrote:
Probably so you can trash most of those cards that you are accessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
Microbadge: I survived National Novel Writing Month 2011!Microbadge: I survived National Novel Writing Month 2012!Microbadge: I survived National Novel Writing Month 2013!Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Mateui wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
notyetsuperman wrote:
Probably so you can trash most of those cards that you are accessing.
But why "must" they be combined? That seems to imply that you (or at least notyetsuperman) thinks that the hand IS reshuffled prior to the next card being accessed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Goth
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I'm sure he was using "must" as a bit of hyperbole. It's a good combo, but I doubt anyone would argue it's the only way to make nerve agent useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Wizards of the Coast Legend of Drizzt Contest participant
I'm pretty sure you actually determine if the run is successful BEFORE accessing the cards at all. You CHECK for success and IF sucessful ACCESS.

This means that when you CHECK for success of the run, BEFORE you ACCESS you meet the criteria of Medium/Nerve Agent and add a counter to them accordingly. THEN you ACCESS according to how many counters are on the respective cards. What this means is these cards actually increase in benefit the turn you use them as long as the run in which they are used is successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: Earthdawn RPG fan
NanoXstatiC wrote:
I'm pretty sure you actually determine if the run is successful BEFORE accessing the cards at all. You CHECK for success and IF sucessful ACCESS.

This means that when you CHECK for success of the run, BEFORE you ACCESS you meet the criteria of Medium/Nerve Agent and add a counter to them accordingly. THEN you ACCESS according to how many counters are on the respective cards. What this means is these cards actually increase in benefit the turn you use them as long as the run in which they are used is successful.
That's why the first counter doesn't count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls