Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got another couple games in this weekend and two things have popped up that I could use some suggestions on speeding up.

The first is Measuring sight lines for Taking Cover and Shooting (Spotting would also be in here but in all of our games there's at least one or two soldiers with such high spots that it's not worth measuring for).

For instance when measuring shooting, about half of our shots have been diagonally across multiple squares. In order to get a precise line so we can tell what map tiles should be counted, we usually place down a couple range sticks from other miniature games, forming a straight line from firing arc to the target's dog tag. We then go through each square, doing the math to add the square itself to the modifier to get the total and see if the target can be hit. Since we are using MGs and the Road to Carentan maps this can be quite long and a bit painstaking to do all the math (although it's simple math).

Any suggestions on speeding up the above process? Anyone use a laser level or something to quickly ascertain the sight line? Any other tools or tricks?

(As a side note - interestingly enough I've found calculating modifiers/distance in SMG actually typically takes longer than a standard miniature game. This may just be the price we pay to cut out 3D terrain.)

The second area I'm looking for tips on is set-up/clean-up concerning Story Cards for scenarios. It's taking us a good bit of time to go through each Story Deck (DoD/RtC) and find the appropriate story cards. Clean up is likewise a bit of a pain point as you have to separate the deck into RtC/DoD and then we place them back in the Story Deck in numerical order (so you have to find the proper place for each card). This isn't a huge deal but it has taken us about 20 minutes total for set-up/clean-up of the Story Cards.

Does anyone keep their Story Cards organized in a particular way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubber bands.

Take a good size rubber band. Cut it once. Viola. Hold one end in place, stretch the other to your target. It nicely shows you what is crossed.

I have one large band that can cover a five foot stretch easily. Just don't let go or you'll think artillery just hit the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damen Parker
Oman
Northampton
Muscat
flag msg tools
Trust me. You know it makes sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:

I have one large band that can cover a five foot stretch easily. Just don't let go or you'll think artillery just hit the board.
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

I just keep my story decks split into ;

"Basic Story" (green circled numbers)

"Character & landmarks" (orange cicled numbers)

Sort colours out, then put the two piles facing each other back in the box.

That's half the job done when starting a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Anyone use a laser level...

Have been doing so for years. They're quick, easy, precise, and far less likely to bump guys on the board than other items such as strings, rubber bands, threads, measuring tapes and rulers. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
I got another couple games in this weekend and two things have popped up that I could use some suggestions on speeding up.

The first is Measuring sight lines for Taking Cover and Shooting (Spotting would also be in here but in all of our games there's at least one or two soldiers with such high spots that it's not worth measuring for).

For instance when measuring shooting, about half of our shots have been diagonally across multiple squares. In order to get a precise line so we can tell what map tiles should be counted, we usually place down a couple range sticks from other miniature games, forming a straight line from firing arc to the target's dog tag. We then go through each square, doing the math to add the square itself to the modifier to get the total and see if the target can be hit. Since we are using MGs and the Road to Carentan maps this can be quite long and a bit painstaking to do all the math (although it's simple math).

Any suggestions on speeding up the above process? Anyone use a laser level or something to quickly ascertain the sight line? Any other tools or tricks?

(As a side note - interestingly enough I've found calculating modifiers/distance in SMG actually typically takes longer than a standard miniature game. This may just be the price we pay to cut out 3D terrain.)

The second area I'm looking for tips on is set-up/clean-up concerning Story Cards for scenarios. It's taking us a good bit of time to go through each Story Deck (DoD/RtC) and find the appropriate story cards. Clean up is likewise a bit of a pain point as you have to separate the deck into RtC/DoD and then we place them back in the Story Deck in numerical order (so you have to find the proper place for each card). This isn't a huge deal but it has taken us about 20 minutes total for set-up/clean-up of the Story Cards.

...and don't forget the sorting out of the soldiers cards too! My take down/set-up is about 20 or so minutes on each end as well. I use a taught piece of twine for distance. Wouldn't mind picking up a low cost laser down the road though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the story cards by color idea.

I organize my soldier cards with the base card on too, then the rank cards, then the nationality cards.

@ Jim - Laser levels run between $15-35 for good ones. I use a $15 Black & Decker one that's pretty bright. In another thread I recommended a different one as it was very bright and easier to slip in a bag (size of a small flashlight), but once I found out it didn't include batteries and the batteries it uses are about $8.00 each, I put it back on the shelf and went back to my old standby. AA batteries are cheap, it works well, and if the batteries die at an out of town tournament I don't mind having spent $2 on replacements to carry with me. In the 3-4 years of steady use (nearly every weekend and 2-4 times a month on weeknights), I've only had to replace the batteries once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
420017 wrote:
charlest wrote:

I just keep my story decks split into ;

"Basic Story" (green circled numbers)

"Character & landmarks" (orange cicled numbers)

Sort colours out, then put the two piles facing each other back in the box.

That's half the job done when starting a new game.

How does this work exactly? I mean, say you're playing a Road to Carentan scenario. Do you know that all RtC scenarios just use the Orange circled numbers from Day of Days and never use the green circled ones?

The scenarios just list the numbers, so I'm not seeing how it helps to have the numbers separated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis,

Is this the laser level you use:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BDL220S-Laser-Level/dp/B0...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
[q="charlest"] Does anyone keep their Story Cards organized

I thought the question was about "organized" story deck not sorting out after a game.

I keep them "organized" like i said setup the story deck for the scenario, adding or removing cards as stated then at the end of the game "organnize" them back as i said.

I may have read the question wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
420017 wrote:
charlest wrote:
[q="charlest"] Does anyone keep their Story Cards organized

I thought the question was about "organized" story deck not sorting out after a game.

I keep them "organized" like i said setup the story deck for the scenario, adding or removing cards as stated then at the end of the game "organnize" them back as i said.

I may have read the question wrong

My goal is to organize them in a way which speeds up setup/cleanup time. I assume you organize your Story Cards by Landmark/Story to facilitate the same thing - quicker setup/cleanup.

I don't have the cards in front of me so I was curious how your organization speeds up setup?

What makes it easier to separate them by Landmark/Story as oposed to having them altogether and just ordered by number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carroll Best
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never thought about laser levels, but it's a good idea. I'll have to try that the next time. I have a Bosch GPLL5, but it's on Amazon for $37.99. I wouldn't go that high, but the Black & Decker one is a great buy at $16.50. I'm sure that everyone can use a laser level if you don't already have one, so don't look at it as getting a level just for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as speeding things up for set-up with the story cards, I pick a scenario ahead of time and get story deck set-up before hand. For me, it's never been just a pick up game that I just take off the shelf and play. I plan ahead with whoever I'm playing and get the story deck set-up ahead of time and if I'm hosting it at my house, I have the map set up and ready to go when they get there. If I take my game out somewhere else, I still have the story deck put together beforehand to speed things up.

I use a string for measuring and do so helmet to helmet to keep it consistent. I do have a laser level I should try sometime for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis, thanks for the tip! Im a program mgr for a large federal agency charged with negotiating rent/leases for our folks. I also design space for those folks. We use these at work quite a bit...didn't realize they could be so inexpensive.

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
As far as speeding things up for set-up with the story cards, I pick a scenario ahead of time and get story deck set-up before hand. For me, it's never been just a pick up game that I just take off the shelf and play. I plan ahead with whoever I'm playing and get the story deck set-up ahead of time and if I'm hosting it at my house, I have the map set up and ready to go when they get there. If I take my game out somewhere else, I still have the story deck put together beforehand to speed things up.

I use a string for measuring and do so helmet to helmet to keep it consistent. I do have a laser level I should try sometime for this.

That's a good suggestion but not feasible with my group (at least not the majority of the time).

We usually have a weekly meetup with a maximum number of people showing up being around 4-5. Typically me and another guy are always there and other people are less reliable. So not always sure if we'll have the correct player number to do SMG.

I could at least pre-separate the story cards by just picking a scenario and then next time we play we could play that scenario. That makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
I pick a scenario ahead of time and get story deck set-up before hand.

This is what I do. As the SMG owner in my group, I generally pick the scenario & make up the squads before hand. In addition to having the squads pre-shuffled & in their own tuckboxes, I build the map, and then disassemble it in order back into the DoD box. This speeds up the setup process immeasurably.

Hahma wrote:
I use a string for measuring and do so helmet to helmet to keep it consistent.

This is what we do as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommy20 wrote:
Hahma wrote:

This is what I do. As the SMG owner in my group, I generally pick the scenario & make up the squads before hand. In addition to having the squads pre-shuffled & in their own tuckboxes, I build the map, and then disassemble it in order back into the DoD box. This speeds up the setup process immeasurably.

Hahma wrote:

Helmet to helmet...I like that. As a WoW gamer, we had innumerable conversations on peg to peg, vs gun to any part of the aircraft. This is a no brainier for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Tommy20 wrote:
Hahma wrote:

Hahma wrote:

Helmet to helmet...I like that. As a WoW gamer, we had innumerable conversations on peg to peg, vs gun to any part of the aircraft. This is a no brainier for me.

@Tommy. I usually also pre-build the squads as well. One other guy I know has the game now, so we can do it right before the game if we like. But generally I find it better just to pre-build the squads as well as the story deck and it saves a lot of time. I build the squads as well as I can and then we roll to see who has which side, that way there's not an issue of me building one side better than the other side, on purpose at least.

@Jim. To me it was a no-brainer for helmet to helmet as it was the most consistent to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

That's the one. Although mine didn't come with the sweet carry case. Also, I removed the rotating wall attachment, as it isn't necessary for gaming purposes and added bulk which made it harder to fit into my minis bag.

peyton23 wrote:
... don't look at it as getting a level just for the game.

That's how I convinced myself it was $15 (at Home Depot) well spent. Funny thing is, I've never used it for anything else, lol.

Hahma wrote:

This is how we started (substitute Laser for string), but thought I read somewhere where Jeff said LoS is supposed to be Dogtag hole to Dogtag hole (circle on left of Dogtag). I'd prefer helmet to helmet, as it's centered, but I also prefer to play several games as intended by the designer before I start to monkey around with house rules. I can't find that now though, so perhaps we'll go back to helmets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.