Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family Fluxx, along with Eco-Fluxx, is one of the more recent members of the Fluxx family of games. In many ways, it is exactly like the parent game, Fluxx. However, not only has Family Fluxx been rethemed to make it more accessible for a younger audience, there are a few other changes that make the game simpler and faster to play than regular Fluxx.

In case you’re not familiar with Fluxx, it is a card game of ever changing rules. Every version of Fluxx consists of a deck of cards with four different kinds of cards in it: New Rules, Actions, Goals and Keepers.

Each player starts the game with a hand of three cards and there are only the basic rules, which always stay on the table, even when they are supplanted. Those rules are, on your turn, you draw one card and you play one card. There is no actual way to win the game at the start of the game.

Each kind of card fulfils a different part of the game. The New Rules cards modify the rules, changing the number of cards players can draw or play, as well as adding hand limits and similar such things. The Action cards let players do some kind of action once, and then the card is discarded. The Goal cards give the actual winning conditions of the game, which normally involve Keepers. Keepers are cards simply placed in front of the players and, as already mentioned, are often part of the goals.

As you can imagine, Fluxx is a game with a very high luck factor. The rules and the goal of the game are constantly changing, which means there is not much in the way of a long term strategy. While this doesn’t appeal to everyone, I at least enjoy Fluxx as a light, casual game.

Family Fluxx follows the same basic pattern of regular Fluxx. However, there are a number of differences.

The first difference that I noticed was purely cosmetic. First of all, Family Fluxx does not only have different pictures to represent the keepers since the keepers are different, but they are also drawn in a different style. Regular Fluxx’s artwork has a definite retro-seventies feel, matching Looney Labs’ image as a hippy company. Family Fluxx, on the other hand, has soft, friendly artwork that makes me think of Highlights for Kids in a good way.

The other cosmetic difference is that the pictures are in color. The color scheme is a fairly soft palette and is very pleasing to the eye. I’m colorblind but the people who I’ve played with had agreed with me. One of the touches I particularly liked is that the hands representing the players are all toned to look African.

In general, Family Fluxx is aesthetically pleasing and inviting to look at.

The other difference is a little more subtle but even more significant. The entire deck is smaller than a regular Fluxx deck. However, there seems to be proportionately more goals and keepers in Family Fluxx than there are in regular Fluxx. This means that there are going to be more of both of those cards coming out in the course of the table.

While many of the New Rule cards are the same as you would find in regular Fluxx, many of the more chaotic rules have been stripped out. There is no Inflation Card or First Play Random card. In short the cards that tended to make the game play more of a snarled mess are not there.

Both of these two factors mean that Family Fluxx tends to play both more smoothly and more quickly than regular Fluxx. While I enjoy regular Fluxx and rarely suffered from the dreaded never-ending game syndrome, I like these changes in Family Fluxx. More than that, I believe that these changes will make Family Fluxx more palatable for the people who dislike playing Fluxx.

For those people who want their Fluxx more complicated, though, the backs of the Family Fluxx cards are identical to the regular Fluxx cards, which means that you can mix the decks together without any problem.

When I picked up Family Fluxx, I really just expected Fluxx with a couple of thematic changes. Instead, I have been happy to find a game that has enough changes to make it a game that I will happily play often. In fact, a game that I will probably be able to get more people to play than regular Fluxx.

If you like Fluxx, you’ll enjoy Family Fluxx and find that it is worth owning. If you have never tried Fluxx, Family Fluxx may be the best way to try the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! My family is also having a lot of fun with this game. I agree with you that it looks nice and the gameplay is much smoother.

Gnomekin wrote:
For those people who want their Fluxx more complicated, though, the backs of the Family Fluxx cards are identical to the regular Fluxx cards, which means that you can mix the decks together without any problem.

Great tip! I've played original Fluxx but don't own it so hadn't realized this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.