Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Lozano
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are going to be visiting my family back home at the end of next month, so I was hoping to get one or two games that are easy to lug around for while we are on the plane or have some downtime. I think I'll be taking Race for the Galaxy since its really just cards and victory chips. Ive also been looking at Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age and Innovation as some other travel worthy games. Is there anything else I should be looking at, or just getting instead of what I was already thinking? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got stock answers for this kind of request: I've played Hive Pocket on a foldout train tray table. I'm sure it'd work on a plane. You can also play Haggis, one of my favorite games, anywhere.

I'd bring Race as well.

Check out this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lozano
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Othila wrote:
I've got stock answers for this kind of request: I've played Hive Pocket on a foldout train tray table. I'm sure it'd work on a plane. You can also play Haggis, one of my favorite games, anywhere.

I'd bring Race as well.

Check out this thread.

Oh great, I didn't notice another thread on the same topic. Thanks for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No harm in making a new thread; some people tailor their suggestions to the collection page of the original poster. But there's some good stuff in that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lozano
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question: How does Hive travel as opposed to Hive Pocket?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lozano
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Othila wrote:
No harm in making a new thread; some people tailor their suggestions to the collection page of the original poster. But there's some good stuff in that thread.

I agree, a lot of those suggested sound like fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume it travels just fine--it has a zip bag, I think, and the tiles are nice and heavy, being made of bakelite--but its footprint is larger. I prefer Hive Pocket for two reasons: it's small enough to fit in my smallest bag or my largest pocket--small enough to play a full game (all bugs in play) on an Amtrack tray table, where I play it at least once every two months--and it includes both the Ladybug and Mosquito expansions, which cost extra with the full size color version.

The full size black and white "Carbon" edition comes with the expansion tiles, so if you prefer that color scheme and want the larger tiles, that'll save you money. The pocket bakelite tiles are really quite heavy, though; I don't see the need for a larger set, and prefer my bugs in color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lozano
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
Jaipur
Flapjacks and sasquatches
For the win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your admiration for Puerto Rico, look into these:

San Juan
Glory to Rome

One more thing to consider: take whatever game you want. It's doesn't have to be "travel sized", IMO.

I go on week-long trips with my wife all the time and we never pack anything more than what fits in our carry-ons (we refuse to check bags). I have done this with enough room to pack a full game, a la Puerto Rico. And it should well within reason to pack even smaller boxes, a la Carcassonne.

Americans tend to overpack. Pack less clothes until you can fit your favorite game in the bag. If you're anything like me, you'll miss having the game more than having the clothes.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Smandero wrote:
Another question: How does Hive travel as opposed to Hive Pocket?

The pieces for Hive Pocket are way smaller. Personally, I like them better even if you're not traveling. They're the exact same quality and the Pocket version comes with the expansions.

The other two portable games that go everywhere with us are Ghost Blitz and Gloom. Everything fits in the Hive Pocket bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.