GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: How to rough the surface of the players' mat and protect it at the same time! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people voiced the desire there was a better player mat; something with a little structure to it to more securely hold the discs and cubes.

Well, here I'm gonna share with you a great solution, that not only roughs the surface but makes it also water resistant!

Get yourself a can of "Clear Plasti Dip Spray", which is readily available for around $9 in any craft's store or online:

Applying this substance to any surface makes it rougher (a little bit like sand paper) and coats it with a clear film - as long as you have bought the clear one as they come in different colors...devil

You can also consider this one:

It's called "Super Grip Fabric Spray".
Known as ‘Super Grip’, it gives a slight shining coat but is more spongy (better friction & grip) than the first one.

Both can be considered sprayable rubber, so you get the idea of what they do.
Hope this helps some of you enjoying the playing experience even more!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Have you actually used it on your player boards? If so, any tips on making it come out well? If not ... I'd be very wary of wrecking the player boards by spraying liquid on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian L
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have pictures of how it turned out? I laminated mine, but I'm curious to see how it looks with this spray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I haven't applied it to the playing mats yet simply because my can's empty!
However, I have sprayed countless sheets of cardstock amd paper (for a different purpose though but that doesn't matter) with roughing fluid and visually the difference is hardly to detect.

I can perfectly understand you being hesitant to try it out on your mats if you have no own experience with that kind of spray.
I'd strongly suggest to test it on a playing card or any other cardstock prior to treating 'the real thing' to get a feel for how it turns out. It's very fast and efficient but it's important to spray lightly and homogenously, though.

PS: Since the rubber can be removed you can even spray the already lainated mats without risk to enhance the grip and prevent the cubes from moving away easily....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.