Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: How big the playing surface needed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wrinkly Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching the video reviews and comments on BGG, I'm keen to buy this game.

The only thing that concerns me is, how big the table needs to be to play the game properly.

we normally have six people in our playing group and use a kitchen table, (approx 5 ft x 3 ft) to play our games on.

As this game progresses and the playing hexes are laid and increase the playing area I'm wondering if the size of the galaxy might push the player's mats off the table!

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it on 120x200 cm and it wasn't to big for this game (6 players). Anything smaller would be hard to play for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
5x3 id going to be tight for a 6 player game. I have a similarly sized table and it works with 4.

I like to have the market board (compact or not) and the faction sheets on the table and visible to the others. Hex piles and ship parts can be on a side table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a rectangular table top, I think it might be possible to cram everything on there, but with six people, it will be close. I have played on a 5' by 4.5' table and it was pretty adequate.

I would say each player needs over a square foot of space just for their mat, ships, and tokens. The techs, draw bags, upgrade tiles etc probably take up another 1-2 square feet. On a 5' by 3' table, this does not leave a lot of square footage left for the galaxy hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I played a 8 player on a 6x4 ft

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Just plan to have extraneous items on chairs / additional surfaces. Like the tech board and the box storing the game items would be off the main table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jenkins
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 or 4 X 5 for 5 or 6 players. Preferably bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.