Subject: Alternatives to Kit Carson rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Penz

Rochester
New York
msg tools
mb
Has anyone experimented with variants that are similar to Kit Carson in that they affect how players place Cowboys on the board? I've only played the game once so far, but it feels like the action placement phase could go smoother and potentially quicker. The Kit Carson rules are interesting, I'm just thinking (especially being new to the game) that placing all Cowboys at once would get chaotic and confusing.

The one idea I'm thinking of trying out is a sort of Kit Carson 'Light' where all players place their first cowboy at once or choose to pass. After all players have placed the first cowboy, all players again place simultaneously. The passing rules would be the same as the original rules, if you are the first to pass you move to first turn order; and if more than one person chooses to pass on the same placement turn the current turn order determines who gets priority. If a player places a Sheriff on the same spot as another player, the other player would move their action to another spot (or alternatively have the Sheriff always place first followed by the remaining players simultaneously). The biggest problem I see with this is that it may encourage players to stall and place last as there's no penalty for placing last like there is with Kit Carson rules. There might be a way to somehow have players blindly choose where their action is going to be placed and all reveal simultaneously but I'm not sure if there's an easy way to do that in a non-disruptive way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here come my hives again....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know where you are coming from: Kit Carson lets players back out of duels by replacing their cowmeeps whereas the basic rules give no option to replace.

Perhaps a minor compromise would suffice (without adding too much complication): every player gets one replace per turn, but this replaced cowpoke is layed on his/her side to show that player's already used their one replace (and to show that the cowpoke is exhausted from all the running around). This 'replaced cowpoke' must be dropped on an uncontested space (he/she is too pooped to start a fight)

I am hesitant to add more rules to an already complex game, but I like the idea of giving everyone 1 chance to back out of a duel each round.

Every posse's got one coward in it, I reckon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.